Is everybody getting comfy with 'President" Obama?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: techs
Obama will be the first President in quite awhile who didn't get elected by corporate money.
That's what makes his Presidency give me hope.

Obama/Biden will also make history by being the first President and Vice President combination where neither of them were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. That's a big plus for me when it comes to representation.

Err, what? Nixon and Agnew were born to simple families, and there are probably many others that fit that criteria.

Truman, guy didnt even have a college degree.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Obama will be the first President in quite awhile who didn't get elected by corporate money.

Obama/Biden will also make history by being the first President and Vice President combination where neither of them were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. That's a big plus for me when it comes to representation.

Err, what? Nixon and Agnew were born to simple families, and there are probably many others that fit that criteria.

I am not 100% familiar with them specifically. I am going off some info that was relayed to me, but even if that information is proven wrong about them being the "first" it is still very true that they are the first in a long time and it is true that they will represent the majority of America very well. They have been in most of our shoes before. The same cannot be said about McCain whose experiences throughout most of his life are far from that of most Americans.

Clinton?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: bobcpg
Well, I really don't like my paycheck money anyways. I think other people deserve it more.

You making more than $250,000 a year?

Why those evil people making over $250,000/year. How dare they!

Please remember it is only republicans who play class warfare.

how did we get to class warfare already? He asked him a question to help determine his tax liability. Perhaps next time you talk to you tax accounant, you can attack him for class warfare as well?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Anything good to happen during the next Presidency from day 1 will be attributed to Obama by the lefties and their media.

Anything bad to happen will be blamed on the George Bush.

Just wait until the deficit explodes. Paul Krugman and company were anti deficit in 2002 but have already started backpedaling and are now pro deficit.

Of course, if we get hit by terrorism in 2009, people will start asking questions.......

you run a surplus in good economic times and a deficit in bad economic times. This is basic keynesian economics, and has been practiced wince the great depression.

on the otherhand, republicans want to run deficits in the boom years (thereby adding to the boom/bust nature of the cycle) and run surpluses in the bad years.

2002 was a bad year. We began running a deficit then, and the same Democrat economists started crying bloody murder.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
I am not 100% familiar with them specifically. I am going off some info that was relayed to me, but even if that information is proven wrong about them being the "first" it is still very true that they are the first in a long time and it is true that they will represent the majority of America very well. They have been in most of our shoes before. The same cannot be said about McCain whose experiences throughout most of his life are far from that of most Americans.

Clinton?

Combination.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I'm sick of all the misinformation and hearsay BS, all of a sudden Oblahma is the "first" of many things awesome. Really? Get the bias stick out of your ass already.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well, I really don't like my paycheck money anyways. I think other people deserve it more.

how did we get to class warfare already? He asked him a question to help determine his tax liability. Perhaps next time you talk to you tax accounant, you can attack him for class warfare as well?

I dont make anywhere enough to require a tax accountant. Class warfare was interjected the second the under 250K comment was made. It is a real bitch when your parties candidate platform is playing 95% of the country agains the other 5.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
And if we survive Obama, the worst of the worst, we can survive anything.

And what happens if we can't?

I believe it is going to take a very strong president to lead us out of this craphole we are currently in. I question if Obama is able to handle this. I also question if he will be a "rubber stamp" president since odds are it will be a democrat controlled legislative branch. I also worry about how he will do with foreign policy. I just don't like him.

Unfortunately McCain doesn't do any better in the "i'm worried about his presidency".

IMHO Clinton would have made a much better option than either of these two.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I dont make anywhere enough to require a tax accountant. Class warfare was interjected the second the under 250K comment was made. It is a real bitch when your parties candidate platform is playing 95% of the country agains the other 5.

I've never understood why tax cuts for the middle class are considered class warfare, but tax cuts for the upper class are considered 'economic stimulus'.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
I suspect Obama will surprise everyone, including most Democrats, when he governs as a centrist like Clinton did.

Oh noes. He's Bill Clinton without the cum stain?

I would welcome that.

Sadly, I don't think that's what will happen.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
And if we survive Obama, the worst of the worst, we can survive anything.

And what happens if we can't?

I believe it is going to take a very strong president to lead us out of this craphole we are currently in. I question if Obama is able to handle this. I also question if he will be a "rubber stamp" president since odds are it will be a democrat controlled legislative branch. I also worry about how he will do with foreign policy. I just don't like him.

Unfortunately McCain doesn't do any better in the "i'm worried about his presidency".

IMHO Clinton would have made a much better option than either of these two.

Are you certain that you want a third option? Perhaps what you along with millions of other Americans really want is simply to have more confidence in our government. I can't blame you for such a thing being lost considering the past 8 years. It is has had a large impact on us all.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I've never understood why tax cuts for the middle class are considered class warfare, but tax cuts for the upper class are considered 'economic stimulus'.

Playing two sides like Obama is basic class warfare. The rest of your concerns center around a progressive income tax system that gives the top 50% money back due to them paying a higher % in.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

because class warfare only goes up, dontcha know?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

because class warfare only goes up, dontcha know?

It probably has something to do with the ridiculous 'fully refundable' policy of his.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Playing two sides like Obama is basic class warfare. The rest of your concerns center around a progressive income tax system that gives the top 50% money back due to them paying a higher % in.

That's the point of a progressive tax system though. Do you think progressive taxation is a form of class warfare? If Obama were attempting to blame the wealthy for the average person's problems then I could see it being called class warfare. (chavez style) I haven't seen this from him at all though.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006

How have they funded to spend soooo much in their campaign? When I was watching CNN the other day they were stating Obama was on track to spend over 10 million this month. Not to mention Obama was "in bed" (number 1 on some of their "donating" list)with some of the finance companies that are going down or wanting a bailout now.

Non of the candindates are truly "private" funded. They are all backed by bs and someone else's puppet, not out to help the people they spew their bullshit to.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"getting comfy" is not the phrase I would use. It's more like "giving in" and "getting sickened".

Yes but as I said that's a good thing. And actually you're not getting sickened, you're just getting in touch with how sick you have always felt, or at least since a child.

The getting comfy won't happen till you have spent some time realizing that your worst fears aren't really that bad.

Time, it takes time.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I heard this on t.v. They were talking about Obama winning over the white, middle class female voter:
We're not asking you to marry him, just vote for him.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Class warfare is a bogey man created by the wealthy to hide their war on the poor and protect them from retaliation. It is vital for the rich in a democratic country to blind the masses as to their voting power.

Intelligent parasites inject an anesthetic when they suck blood.

"Remember, some day you too will be rich. Don't ruin it for yourself. Hahahahahahahahaha!"

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

That's the point of a progressive tax system though. Do you think progressive taxation is a form of class warfare? If Obama were attempting to blame the wealthy for the average person's problems then I could see it being called class warfare. (chavez style) I haven't seen this from him at all though.

Sure it is i am not proposing it isnt. My point about the progressive system is when 50% of the income earners pay 94% of the taxes. Dont be surprised when 94% of the tax cuts hit 50% of the people.

On to Obama, what he is proposing is a tax cut for 95% of the people and placing it on the other 5. His rhetoric is clearly class warfare. When people ask about the tax cuts all his response is if you are in the bottom 95% dont worry about it. Vote for me and Ill put the screws into the top 5%. Under the guise of leveling the playing field. It is a PC term for the rich are getting away with murder, elect me and Ill right the wrong.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Sure it is i am not proposing it isnt. My point about the progressive system is when 50% of the income earners pay 94% of the taxes. Dont be surprised when 94% of the tax cuts hit 50% of the people.

On to Obama, what he is proposing is a tax cut for 95% of the people and placing it on the other 5. His rhetoric is clearly class warfare. When people ask about the tax cuts all his response is if you are in the bottom 95% dont worry about it. Vote for me and Ill put the screws into the top 5%. Under the guise of leveling the playing field. It is a PC term for the rich are getting away with murder, elect me and Ill right the wrong.

I think where we're getting off track in your argument is that you believe that the tax system should not become any more progressive than it is now, and Obama feels differently. Was it class warfare that got us to the amount of progressivism that we see today? The US tax code has become significantly more regressive during the Bush presidency, Obama is seeking to reverse that. You can call it 'putting the screws to the top 5%' if you want, but I don't see how eliminating your predecessor's tax cuts is exactly a form of class warfare.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When the rich get richer and the poor get poorer the society is doomed to self destruct. Progressive taxes improve the life of everybody and preserve society.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

If you call a 3% increase "putting the screws to the rich", you live a sad life.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
No form of progressive taxation in this country has ever proven to prevent the rich from getting richer. Only the rich have ever prevented themselves from getting richer by making poor investment and business decisions. All progressive taxation does is slow down the rate and increase the challenge of the rich getting richer. There is obviously a balance to be had and I see no problem with the kind of balance Obama wishes to enact.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat

If you call a 3% increase "putting the screws to the rich", you live a sad life.

That is how it is sold. If you feel it is so trivial. Feel free to pay 3% more when you file after the first of the year.