Is everybody getting comfy with 'President" Obama?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bobcpg

Nov 14, 2001
Well, I really don't like my paycheck money anyways. I think other people deserve it more.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: bobcpg
Well, I really don't like my paycheck money anyways. I think other people deserve it more.

You making more than $250,000 a year?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Are you asking for my bank account and SS number so you can send it to me?
You're in Nigeria, right;)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

The only things that are certain in life are death and taxes. Get used to it. If you don't like taxes then you can move off the grid. No one is stopping you.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I really think the Republicans believe this will be Obama's cabinet:

Secretary of Defense: Pee Wee Herman
EPA Administrator: Ralph Nader
Attorney General: William Ayers
U.N. Ambassador: Oprah Winfrey
Director of Homeland Security: Osama Bin Laden
etc

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Why those evil people making over $250,000/year. How dare they!

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Can't wait to vote for our next President... Barack Obama ;)

Good news, you do not have to wait. Do the absentee voter thingy and send it it.:beer::laugh::D:beer:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: techs

etc

ignoring the fringe element, I think your run-of-the-mill republican is more afraid that Obama is going to become a rubber stamp for Nancy Pelosi's San Fransisco Agenda (whatever that means).

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: CPA

Evil? Who is calling them evil? God forbid that the government choose to allow these people to continue to get richer, but just do so ever so slightly slower instead of relying on taxing those who can barely make ends meet in regards to their necessities or borrowing obscene amounts of money. It's the end of the world I tell you and it's just not fair! :roll:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481

etc

ignoring the fringe element, I think your run-of-the-mill republican is more afraid that Obama is going to become a rubber stamp for Nancy Pelosi's San Fransisco Agenda (whatever that means).

Truthfully, I hope Obama uses his influence to try and change the leadership positions. Regardless of their policies, they are too associated with the past. And they just don't come across well when they speak.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What are you babbling about? McCain has made it a point to repeatedly (and dishonestly) assert that Obama will raise the average American's taxes. This is simply untrue. Considering how few people earn more than $250,000 a year in income, along with the general demographics of this forum, there is a substantial statistical probability that bobcpg also does not earn $250,000 or more per year and will likely get more of 'his paycheck money' under Obama's plan than McCain's.

I'm not sure why I had to explain that.

Edit: switched the names around. oops.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

What are you babbling about? McCain has made it a point to repeatedly (and dishonestly) assert that McCain will raise the average American's taxes. This is simply untrue. Considering how few people earn more than $250,000 a year in income, along with the general demographics of this forum, there is a substantial statistical probability that bobcpg also does not earn $250,000 or more per year and will likely get more of 'his paycheck money' under Obama's plan than McCain's.

I'm not sure why I had to explain that.

McCain has made it a point to repeatedly (and dishonestly) assert that McCain will raise the average American's taxes.
Yep, sounds like something Grandpa McCain would say

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Just imagine if Liberal is the answer to all our problems and finally at last maybe but only just maybe and a very unlikely maybe at that, it will be forced down our conservative throats like bitter medicine. Once you get past that bitter part, health is just hours away.

American politics move in cycles, but neither party has proven very capable at leading when they have a true majority and clear mandate.

Liberalism didn't save us from the Great Depression and it sure as hell didn't provide solutions as we transitioned from the socially charged 60s to the uncertain 70s. Just as Reagan took the White House due to American frustration with Carter liberalism, Obama will take the White House due to American frustration with Bush conservatism.

Pure liberalism is no more the answer to our problems than pure conservatism..our nation has been at its greatest when it struck a balance between the ideologies.

Bush was a conservative?? WOW!! Deluded extremist at best there "Stardude".

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Anything good to happen during the next Presidency from day 1 will be attributed to Obama by the lefties and their media.

Anything bad to happen will be blamed on the George Bush.

Just wait until the deficit explodes. Paul Krugman and company were anti deficit in 2002 but have already started backpedaling and are now pro deficit.

Of course, if we get hit by terrorism in 2009, people will start asking questions.......

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: evident
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Obama will be the first President in quite awhile who didn't get elected by corporate money.
That's what makes his Presidency give me hope.

Obama/Biden will also make history by being the first President and Vice President combination where neither of them were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. That's a big plus for me when it comes to representation.

this

"Do we want leaders who are everyday folks, or do we want leaders who understand everyday folks? Therein lies an enormous difference" - Jon Meacham, Editor of Newsweek in his Palin smackdown

http://www.newsweek.com/id/162396

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Obama will be the first President in quite awhile who didn't get elected by corporate money.

Obama/Biden will also make history by being the first President and Vice President combination where neither of them were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. That's a big plus for me when it comes to representation.

Err, what? Nixon and Agnew were born to simple families, and there are probably many others that fit that criteria.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: winnar111

Just wait until the deficit explodes. Paul Krugman and company were anti deficit in 2002 but have already started backpedaling and are now pro deficit.

Sorry, but that bomb already went off on your presidents watch... Acutally I shouldsay your president already set off that bomb. Obama will be the one to fix the problems caused by Bush and the reps, not make it worse.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: retrospooty

Sorry, but that bomb already went off on your presidents watch... Acutally I shouldsay your president already set off that bomb. Obama will be the one to fix the problems caused by Bush and the reps, not make it worse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10...opinion/17krugman.html

If Barack Obama becomes president, he won?t have the same knee-jerk opposition to spending. But he will face a chorus of inside-the-Beltway types telling him that he has to be responsible, that the big deficits the government will run next year if it does the right thing are unacceptable.

He should ignore that chorus. The responsible thing, right now, is to give the economy the help it needs. Now is not the time to worry about the deficit.

Is he? You know the Bush tax cuts don't expire until 2010, right?

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
Originally posted by: umbrella39
I'm still convinced he's going to be a mediocre-to-terrible president... but fuck it.

let's get don't ask/don't tell off the books and give the democrats their chance to fuck it up too to prove that both parties are equally entrenched and incompetent.

I agree with this 100%. If he wins and the dems fuck up the country even more, it will show it is time to retire both parties. Neither could get the job done. Maybe then people will realize that DC and politics in general, needs a HUGE enema.

seconded!

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

over the top diversionary derail! How dare you?!

:p

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
This is exactly what concerns me the most. That Barack, though smart, is inexperienced and will get strongarmed by the much more seasoned Pelosi/Reid/Kennedy far left segment of his party. They will package their liberal agenda amidst the reform bills and dare Barack to veto it, which I believe he won't do.

If he turns out to be a centrist, I will be pleasantly surprised. But I just don't see 'Clinton' in him. Hopefully, he will surprise me.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Please remember it is only republicans who play class warfare.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Anything good to happen during the next Presidency from day 1 will be attributed to Obama by the lefties and their media.

Anything bad to happen will be blamed on the George Bush.

Of course, if we get hit by terrorism in 2009, people will start asking questions.......

you run a surplus in good economic times and a deficit in bad economic times. This is basic keynesian economics, and has been practiced wince the great depression.

on the otherhand, republicans want to run deficits in the boom years (thereby adding to the boom/bust nature of the cycle) and run surpluses in the bad years.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Err, what? Nixon and Agnew were born to simple families, and there are probably many others that fit that criteria.

I am not 100% familiar with them specifically. I am going off some info that was relayed to me, but even if that information is proven wrong about them being the "first" it is still very true that they are the first in a long time and it is true that they will represent the majority of America very well. They have been in most of our shoes before. The same cannot be said about McCain whose experiences throughout most of his life are far from that of most Americans.