Is directv / dishnetwork hacking still around?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by swbsam, Aug 10, 2008.

1. swbsam

swbsam Platinum Member

I remember, back when I was a stupid kid, that I was able to hack my directv card using a simple card reader. Has directv plugged those holes yet or is card hacking still around?

2. ChaoZ

ChaoZ Diamond Member

Hacking will always be around.

3. Daaavo

Daaavo Platinum Member

Google: FTA receiver.

4. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

A bunch of sheriffs deputies a couple counties over just went to prison over that. I would pass on it.

5. Pepsei

Pepsei Lifer

oj simpson got in trouble for this... the irony...

6. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

They're pretty brutal enforcing the laws, I'd hate to have my name as a customer of one of those companies...

<---Used to hack DTV & Dish, all of my suppliers got raided and thank god the statute of limitations exists or I wouldn't post this.

7. Queasy

Queasy Moderator<br>Console Gaming

Yep. When I had my new HD DVRs installed last year, the installer offered me a decoder box so that I would get all the channels. I declined and was tempted to turn him in but just let it go.

8. TonyB

TonyB Senior member

no on directv. i had my directv H card hacked for $300, enjoyed all channels including PPV and adult channels free for 5 years. then one day it just stopped working and the guy who did my card stopped doing them.

9. g8wayrebel

g8wayrebel Senior member

10. eelw

eelw Diamond Member

With the ease of FTA, DN and BEV hacking is rampant. No reason to hack DTV in the mean time.

11. waggy

waggy No Lifer

wow ok i didnt know you could buy your own box's. i hate the box i got with Dish network. would love one with a DVR

12. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

Direct - not currently
    Dish - very very few hacks that work and it is the kind of thing you have to stay on top of day after day.

Nothing like it used to be with , hack a card and watch for months.
    How do I know ? I worked for GE/RCA when they were the makers of the directv receivers . It took many revisions but it is finally to the point where the entire system is closed. People cannot get datasheets and programs to the cpus, the chipsets, or anything , so if they have to hack it they have to reverse engineer a entirely closed system, which if you have attempted that , you know that is a sob.

13. Sphexi

Sphexi Diamond Member

When I moved up to Canada I was surprised to see how many people had DirecTV and DishNetwork. Apparantly it's a big thing to get up here because they're US companies and don't bother going after international people.

14. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

whats this FTA, DN and BEV u speak of?

15. syee

syee Senior member

FTA= Free to Air
    DN = Dish Network
    BEV = Bell Express Vu (Canadian equivalent of Dishnet)

16. eelw

eelw Diamond Member

While nothing public, DTV has been hacked. But shortly after, people involved have been arrested. DTV is taking it very seriously after the haydays of the H and HU cards to keep piracy at bay. And since the punishment is too great, most won't attempt to hack DTV while FTA is so easy to use.

Most FTA has been up and down on a weekly basis. But NFusion and DVB-S rule the roost. Almost always up.

Activation and 3M scripts would still go down constantly. It's just that the satellite providers have to deal with a much easier system to hack with FTA and a much larger piracy base as compared to the DTV days. And nothing has the track record of uptime that NFusion has had for the past 2 years.