Question Is CPU failing, and causing overheating?

larryh1012

Dec 2, 2020
i have a toshiba laptop l655. It overheats, shutsdown, reaches a temp of 80 c, then shutsdown. Can't really function.
Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64 bit. It failed twice, at prime number test, and aborted. Then ran the tool on another toshiba laptop, and it passed.
So my question is, would replacing the cpu be the solution to my problem?

larryh1012

Dec 2, 2020
since i checked the cpu with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64 bit , and it failed, is there any diagnostic tool i can use to check the motherboard as well? Just wondering if the motherboard is failing as well, since the tech who sold me the laptop insists that he checked the cpu, and it was not failing...?? He says its the logic board, or motherboard and wants to sell me another laptop. Btw, the chip is not soldered to the board.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
since i checked the cpu with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64 bit , and it failed, is there any diagnostic tool i can use to check the motherboard as well?
Nope, there is no software utility to test a motherboard. It could be something like capacitors are beginning to fail/go bad.

A 10 year old laptop motherboard has dealt with a lot of heat, so it definitely could be a possibility as being the issue.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If it hasn't already been done, I would definitely clean the decade old thermal paste (probably powder by now) off of the CPU and heat sink and replace it with something good to see if that helps. Also give the fan and vents a thorough cleaning with compressed air and make sure that the fan is actually blowing when the laptop is turned on.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
i have a toshiba laptop l655. It overheats, shutsdown, reaches a temp of 80 c, then shutsdown. Can't really function.
Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64 bit. It failed twice, at prime number test, and aborted. Then ran the tool on another toshiba laptop, and it passed.
So my question is, would replacing the cpu be the solution to my problem?
You need to take it apart. Clean the cpu fan of dust. Blowing it out preferrably. Remove the heatsink/heatpipe. Clean off the old thermal paste and reapply a quality thermal paste and reassemble it.