Question Is Corsair a reliable PSU?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I've mostly used eVGA but see some Corsair semi-modulars are on sale and I'm looking for some feedback?

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Woulda been nice if they had still let SuperFlower build a platinum-rated series for them. The volume on that would probably have been low enough that SuperFlower could keep up.

Superflower is as small as Seasonic. Only two lines. There's no way they could produce every high end EVGA PSU.

It actually behooves smaller factories like Seasonic and Superflower to turn down OEM business and produce product for their own brand because the margins are much higher. That was a problem I ran into with Seasonic and one of many reasons Corsair doesn't use them anymore. When components started drying up, they would prioritize their own production over Corsair's despite the fact that historically Corsair sold more Seasonic made PSUs than Seasonic branded PSUs. But when components are limited and you're talking about making potentially 10 to 15% more margin instead of sharing profits with someone else, the obvious choice is to sell the product under your own brand.

I was a little surprised that EVGA went with HEC for a Platinum PSU. I like HEC and all, but I would never give them anything over a Gold efficiency product. They don't even have the capability to wave solder a double sided PCB. That's why their designs always have so many damn daughter cards in them.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is Corsair a reliable PSU? Yes, and all other brands too. I am company neutral and use the Corsair 80+ Gold RM850i right now.

I like all PSU brands so far, as long as they are 80+ Gold (I know its a bit expensive). 80+ Gold means energy efficency 80 or more and gold wiring, and there's one higher than 80+ that is called 80+Titanium / or Platinum which is even more energy efficient but more expensive. You don't need above 80+ Gold, in fact you only need 80+ for stability. But if you want to spend a little extra cash, this is where I say, go for it! The 80+ normal or Gold will give you better longevity on the electronics inside your rig. Meaning... not just your power supply, but your motherboard, your graphics card will feel more stable, and run longer lifespan just because the electricity is more evenly distributed to your motherboard and components.
Just because a power supply is gold, platinum, or even titanium rated, that doesn't make it good.

There are a number of (at least claimed) gold and platinum power supplies that are complete junk. They can't provide their full rated power spec, and don't even offer common safety features.

And the "all other brands too" claim is just completely absurd. There are multiple brands (or at least certain models) that should be avoided by just about anyone.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just because a power supply is gold, platinum, or even titanium rated, that doesn't make it good.

There are a number of (at least claimed) gold and platinum power supplies that are complete junk. They can't provide their full rated power spec, and don't even offer common safety features.

And the "all other brands too" claim is just completely absurd. There are multiple brands (or at least certain models) that should be avoided by just about anyone.

Even being branded "80%" just doesn't mean a whole lot...

Reactions: UsandThem

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I still have an older Corsair AX750 7 yr warranty that is running in an older system.

And right now my Corsair AX850 10 yr warranty is based off a seasonic platform so also no complaints.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Funny you mention that as i've been seeing what looks like all the new gpus will require new PSU's. So that will factor into future gpu purchases however I think i'm fine for now on a 6800XT.

No. That's B.S. I'm actually chatting with Aris right now about how wrong he is. :D

The excursion spikes' durations are much too fast for an analog supervisor IC to see. I've punished many a 750W with an 1800W load for 100ms without a problem.

Reactions: Makaveli

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I just had a Corsair CX430 failure, in service for 10+ years, zero problems until recently when... 5VSB capacitor died. IIRC I cleaned the dust out and lubed the fan a few years back.

Even so, wasn't going to go with a $15 after rebate PSU again, got a discounted Antec Earthwatts (Seasonic Focus GM derivative), but I'll most likely put new caps in the Corsair and keep it as a spare.

Almost went with an 850W Supernova on sale now for $110 , but the 750W Earthwatts was already overkill and less expensive at the time... I keep spares, buy when the price (was) is right.

Last edited:

whalemonger

Oct 7, 2010
Sorry if off topic, but some of the above comments have me casting doubt on products I had planned to use in a new build. For a high end new build using a 3080 ti, what would be an excellent choice for a 1kW PSU if price is not a concern?

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Sorry if off topic, but some of the above comments have me casting doubt on products I had planned to use in a new build. For a high end new build using a 3080 ti, what would be an excellent choice for a 1kW PSU if price is not a concern?
Seasonic or EVGA are my go to brands.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Appreciate the response, but based on previous comments, maybe I should be more specific: which exact model and brand of 1kW power supply would be a basically iron-clad choice, regardless of price?

With the death of PSU review sites in general, I've turned to tier lists. It may not be the best way to go, but it at least gives you a starting point. Then you can research individual units, assess availability, and make a purchase. Example:

(no it's not the only tier list out there)

Just going by the list, you have all kinds of options, though you may not find all of them in stock. For example, good luck finding an Antec HCP-1000w. Based on a cursory glance I would say go with this one:

(if you don't want to click the link, it's the Corsair HX Platinum 1000w)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Appreciate the response, but based on previous comments, maybe I should be more specific: which exact model and brand of 1kW power supply would be a basically iron-clad choice, regardless of price?
it's not a straightforward answer. The issue is that, you can't really buy a BAD power supply today, more so in the 1Kw range. The differences between models of modern, name-brand PSUs tend to me more on efficiency, rather than safety, and even then we're talking minute percentages that have no meaning unless you run heavy loads 24/7.
No modern PSU is going to explode on you. No modern PSU will fail *anywhere near* warranty life.

Now, a system with a 3080 will probably draw a full 450W, and you want this amount to be in the maximum efficiency range for that PSU, so any 700W PSU will do, really.
Real concerns are
1. if you intend to keep your PSU for 10+ years, what caps are they using? Not that modern PSUs have major issues with leakage, but, you know, 10 years is 10 years.
2. what Quality Of Life advantages does a model have, and which do you need? E.g. full/part modular, swaggy bling color, quiet fan or fanless, and so on.

Keep in mind that, while i preach, im sitting on a EVGA 1Kw for a system that uses 400W at load circa: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
Because it's such a great quality PSU that i can easily expect to use it for 10 years, so it's not insane that you want to do the same; but, you don't really risk making a WRONG choice, as long as you stay away from any weird discount brand PSU, you will be fine.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@DigDog

That's one of the reasons why I recommended the 1000w Corsair HX. It's a slightly older design, but at the time of my posting you could buy one for just under $210, which is a ridiculous value for a platinum 1kW PSU from a reputable OEM with a good warranty.

Reactions: VirtualLarry