Discussion Is Consumer Reports still a reliable source of information?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Been a long time CR member and overall have had a positive response to their recommendations.
I have an on line membership. In general, I trust their recommendations on tires and automobiles. One just has to realize that their auto choices are not as influenced by performance as the car magazines. I dont really use their reviews for much else.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
My french door samsung ice maker is constantly getting jammed with ice every few months. I will need to dig out the ice that has frozen some piece of it. After I do that it is good for another few months. I read about a lot of people replacing ice makers multiple times, I wonder if they are just getting jammed with ice like mine, not really broken, just badly designed. Seems like these designs are not really able to keep the ice maker component cold enough so they will partially thaw then they freeze up some component.
This is exactly what happens and the reason I went SxS instead of french door.

The new thing I've seen recently that I love is that the water dispenser is inside the fridge of the french style, and the icemaker is down in the freezer portion. I suspect that works much better while retaining a water dispenser portion (although unfortunately you're wasting cold by opening the fridge to use the water dispenser).

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
BTW, did you know on the LG TROMM units if the hot-water temp sensor fails it won't let you do a cold wash either?

Sounds like you've made the same uninformed assumption that I used to make...namely the assumption that cold water washes just use the cold water straight from the tap...and that's all.

And that's actually incorrect, as reading showed me. "Cold” water is not really cold, because washers add a little hot water so it’s warm enough to properly dissolve detergent. Our Whirlpool front loader states in the owner's manual that the cold wash temp is 65F, give or take. Have to add a bit of hot water to the cold to get its temp up to 65F. So, probably the exact same situation you faced.

Dec 10, 2005
Only thing I'll say about fridges is beware french door style with icemaker in the door. Rampant issues with them which is why I ultimately went SxS with a new fridge.
I always prefer fridges with no ice maker/water dispenser. It's just another thing that can break, leak, or need routine maintenance. If I want cold water, I can buy a Brita pitcher, and if I want ice, I have ice cube trays and a bucket. Plus, the lack of a built-in dispenser means more space in the fridge/freezer for food.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
My french door samsung ice maker is constantly getting jammed with ice every few months. I will need to dig out the ice that has frozen some piece of it. After I do that it is good for another few months. I read about a lot of people replacing ice makers multiple times, I wonder if they are just getting jammed with ice like mine, not really broken, just badly designed. Seems like these designs are not really able to keep the ice maker component cold enough so they will partially thaw then they freeze up some component.

Yep. It's a laugh every time I use it. I view it like some demented slot machine. Hold the glass in, slowing starts spitting out ice shards (even though cubes is the selection), it keeps grinding away slowing to fill up 1/4 of the glass...and then comes the avalanche of ice where the cup spilleth over and onto the floor.

Originally the ice tray had a plastic auger. Part of that broke off and ended up in the cup of one of my daughter's friends. Thank god she caught it. Replacement has a metal auger.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
another down vote for samsung. ive known two people who bought them and nothing but issues. Me, i still have my side by side (I hate it) i bought at a sears scratch and dent store 20 years ago. no issues at all other than being a stupid ass no room side by side.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I still rely on CR for a lot of good info, and I am convinced they are unbiased - NOT taking any "promotional considerations". What I really find useful when they have the info is consumer reliability results.They and almost everyone else can to reviews, which means they evaluate whether the product design looks good, and whether it does what is required of that product. Then they MAY comment on their assessment of the quality of the components and construction, as one way to predict longevity. But what almost nobody else does is survey the Frequency of Repair records for a lot of things. For autos, they can get good info on specific models and production years. For most other products it can't be broken down to that level of detail. Instead you get repair info of all such products (say, refrigerators) by each manufacturer, but rarely broken down by models or groups of features. Still, that gives you some indication of the maker's general approach to durability and quality control, better than no such info at all.

Expectations are important also. We just replaced an old washer and dryer. They were both over 40 uears old and I have done all kiinds or maintenance on them over that time, but ultimaltely they failed and getting parts was becoming a real problem. I did use CR's info on manufacturer ratings and got what I think will be a good set, but not a high-end one with multi features. In the course of shopping, I discussed my experience with the old ones and one sales person cautioned me that washers and dryers are considered to have a lifetime of about 10 years. I was not pleased to hear that it now considered "normal".

Reactions: DesiPower

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Expectations are important also. We just replaced an old washer and dryer. They were both over 40 uears old and I have done all kiinds or maintenance on them over that time, but ultimaltely they failed and getting parts was becoming a real problem. I did use CR's info on manufacturer ratings and got what I think will be a good set, but not a high-end one with multi features. In the course of shopping, I discussed my experience with the old ones and one sales person cautioned me that washers and dryers are considered to have a lifetime of about 10 years. I was not pleased to hear that it now considered "normal".

Yes. Ten years is pushing it. Take a water heater that you buy now, lucky if you get 7 out of them.

Had a Maytag washer/dryer pair. Sure I had to replace a few things like the drum rollers and belt over 20+ years but all it required was a screwdriver and a 1/4" ratchet. And those were rode hard and put away wet with our family. I like to think they are still in service.

So we moved, picked up a new maytag pair (around 8 years ago). Bravos model, nothing real fancy, top loader. Piles of crap.

Feel like the old man yelling at the clouds and kids on my lawn, don't get me started on Kitchenaid dishwashers.

Reactions: DesiPower

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
"Anyone know where to go for accurate reviews? "

Try Wirecutter.