Is cleaning a toilet with bleach a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Would it be enough to make a bad chemical reaction resulting in fumes of death?

Last edited by a moderator:

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Unless you piss oceans, the urine will be heavily diluted in the toilet water. And why clean a non-flushed toilet?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
No.......... bleach is good. there will be no dangerous reaction......... if you are worried about the fumes........ turn on the air vent or open a window.

Cheers,
Aquaman

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's fine. Dump in the bleach and let it sit for a bit. Lots of times there are instructions right on the bleach bottle.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
No. Next question.

(edit: Although, dumping bleach into your toilet may not be good for your septic system, depending on what type it is)

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: FleshLight
Unless you piss oceans, the urine will be heavily diluted in the toilet water. And why clean a non-flushed toilet?

This is purely hypothetical. I didn't think that far into it.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Bleach is a bad idea for a different reason: human mistake. People who use bleach tend to just think of it as another cleaning chemical. They start cleaning toilets in the house, and run out of toilet cleaner halfway through one toilet. Then they just grab the bleach and dump it in. Caustic toilet cleaner + bleach = bad idea.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
As long as you:

a) don't clean an un-flushed toilet
b) flush the toilet once or twice after cleaning

You're good..

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Also, do not leave it in for a long time. Bleach and PVC (most sewer pipes) are not the best of friends in the long run.

NO AMMONIA! Otherwise you are making WMDs without using your butt.

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
pour in the bleach while peeing, it helps mix it up better and aids in cleaning

thestranger

Aug 16, 2005
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
No. Next question.

(edit: Although, dumping bleach into your toilet may not be good for your septic system, depending on what type it is)

heres your answer...

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't their ammonia in urine?

Generally not a significant ammount. It's a common misconception that urine contains lots of ammonia. It does, however, contain a lot of urea which doesn't react with bleach significantly.

Personally, bleach is probably the best thing for cleaning toilets - I've found that of all the 100% toilet cleaners and similar products, none are remotely as effective as good old fashioned bleach. Just leave it overnight - and even the grimmest bowl will be shining by the morning.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My wife mixed bleach and ammonia one time when I was out of town, the building was evacuated, there were firetrucks and guys with gas masks and really big fans :laugh:

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My wife mixed bleach and ammonia one time when I was out of town

Yup. Very bad idea to mix bleach with any other cleaning products.

Mix bleach with acid (lime scale remover) and it fizzes nicely but produces clouds of toxic chlorine gas.

Mix bleach with ammonia and you get the very toxic chloramine gas - this gas is converted into hydrochloric acid and bleach when inhaled - as you might imagine this isn't very good for your lungs.

mitmot

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2005
there is no way your piss will have enough ammonia to cause a chemical reaction with bleach

Status
Not open for further replies.