Is Cheesecake classified as a pie or cake? (with poll)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is a topic of much debate between two of my friends, usually when they are high.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
It's not a cake. The structure is provided by coagulated egg protein, making it a custard pie.

Period.

end of story.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Tomato
cheeseCAKE

That argument has been put forth, but deemed lacking.

Ex. You park on a driveway. You drive on a parkway.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
Stolen from here:
It's a pie. There is very little starch in cheesecakes (if any) which is the major difference. A cheesecake is a baked custard that is similar to a cream pie. Instead of using cream as a milk product, it uses cream cheese. And then there's the fact that the cream is usually cooked on the stove, while the cheesecake is cooked in the oven.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
from good eats:
SCENE 2
The Kitchen Table

GUEST: The King (Elvis)

I'd be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 cheesecake failures stem from the fact that cooks expect cheesecake to act like cake. Why wouldn't they? After all it is cheese-cake. But suppose that we could ask for an impartial analysis from someone who'd never even heard of cheesecake. Say, for instance an alien making his first trip to planet earth. [camera pans to Elvis] That does explain a few things, doesn't it?

AB: Um, King. What's that?
TK: That there is pie.

Pie. See what I mean?

AB: What kind of pie would you say?
TK: Huunh. That would require further analysis.
AB: Well, please be my guest.
TK: [takes pie and we hear slurping, burping sounds as if pie is eaten in one bite]
Seeing as how the structural matrix is composed of egg proteins I'd say that's a
[sniff] custard pie.

AB: Custard pie. Thank you. Thank you very much.
TK: [vanishes]

The King has left the planet.
Think about it. Aside, of course, from the crust a basic cheesecake only contains some sugar, vanilla, eggs and dairy. It's a custard no matter how you cut it. In fact the only real difference between a cheese cake and a cream pie is that most of the dairy of acheesecake comes in the form of a soft, smooth, tangy, cow's milk cheese containing no less than 33 percent milk fat and no more than 55 percent moisture known far and wide as cream cheese.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by: badmouse
Cheesecake is cheesecake. It has cheese, right? So, the cake part must be right too.
A peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. And yet..