Is (car) keying a thing outside the US?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
ie. scratching another car with something like a car key

I've never heard of it in the UK before. My first exposure to it was watching 'Pulp Fiction' I think.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Keying is a female thing as far as I've seen. Most guys would slash a tire or two or bust out lights/windows. Can't speak to if it happens outside the US.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Keying is a female thing as far as I've seen. Most guys would slash a tire or two or bust out lights/windows. Can't speak to if it happens outside the US.

Years ago me and my buddies were staying at a house where the street parking was across the street. Well this chick lived on the other side of the street and started leaving us notes that we were stealing her parking spot. We just laughed and shrugged our shoulders like what your parking spot? So she starts egging our cars, we have some words with her try to explain to her that no one owns the sparking spots its first come first serve. Guess she still couldn't comprehend this because our cars get egged again. So I went to her work and slashed her tires(she had a shitty job affording new tires im sure wasn't in the budget). Watching that tow truck bring the thing home while we laughed from the porch was priceless, she never bothered us again.

Reactions: Dr. Detroit

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Years ago me and my buddies were staying at a house where the street parking was across the street. Well this chick lived on the other side of the street and started leaving us notes that we were stealing her parking spot. We just laughed and shrugged our shoulders like what your parking spot? So she starts egging our cars, we have some words with her try to explain to her that no one owns the sparking spots its first come first serve. Guess she still couldn't comprehend this because our cars get egged again. So I went to her work and slashed her tires(she had a shitty job affording new tires im sure wasn't in the budget). Watching that tow truck bring the thing home while we laughed from the porch was priceless, she never bothered us again.

So your neighborhood is full of vandals. Why didn't you just file a report with the police instead of becoming a criminal?

Reactions: Mike64

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So your neighborhood is full of vandals. Why didn't you just file a report with the police instead of becoming a criminal?
That'll do a lot of good. Cops can't be arsed to take care of real crimes, much less petty nonsense. Sounds like the situation was handled.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I should add that you if caught you would have gotten in far more trouble for slashing her tires then she would have for egging you car.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I should add that you if caught you would have gotten in far more trouble for slashing her tires then she would have for egging you car.
True but rarely does the thought of consequences enter into the young male brain.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Another fine upstanding American. Are we done winning yet?
/s

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm sure it happens everywhere and here too but have not heard of any specific incidents. I have heard of tire slashing though. Sometimes they'll hit up an entire street and everyone wakes up to slashed tires in the morning. Been a while since I've heard of it but do recall it happening.

The biggest issue here in my city is theft. They steal the weirdest things too and it's very random what they'll take and not take and it seems to come in waves where it is super bad for a while then it slows down. I think the -30's help. Which is too bad, because it would be great to catch someone and go hit them with a cup of water or something in those temps. "Freeze! Asshole". :p I would love to do that. Apparently it counts as assault though. :/ Canada law kinda sucks when it comes to defending your property. I don't want guns, but I just want to be allowed to use my creativity to come up with alternate forces. It's more fun that way.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Second the "weirdest things" comment. My sister is a snow bird and spends the winter in Albuquerque. They broke into her car and stole a completed scrapbook. What kind of idiot steals a binder full of pictures of people he doesn't know?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
ie. scratching another car with something like a car key

I've never heard of it in the UK before. My first exposure to it was watching 'Pulp Fiction' I think.

Happened to an acquaintance not long ago. Parked very expensive car in the wrong neighbourhood.

I don't think it's an exclusively American practice. I remember it being a 'thing' decades ago here (even before Pulp Fiction!).

Though personally I think it should be legal to trash any car that is parked other than a legal parking place. If it's not legally-parked it should be assumed to be like any other bit of junk someone dumps in a public street (like old matresses or outdated computers). Nobody would really care if I damaged an old sofa that was blocking the pavement, why should it be any different if it's a car?

The tendency of drivers to park their vehicles anywhere they can physically get them to fit, regardless of inconvenience to others, is annoying. I would like to see a superhero, the pedestrian-avenger, whose sole power is the power to disintegrate illegally-parked vehicles.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Happened to an acquaintance not long ago. Parked very expensive car in the wrong neighbourhood.

I don't think it's an exclusively American practice. I remember it being a 'thing' decades ago here (even before Pulp Fiction!).

Though personally I think it should be legal to trash any car that is parked other than a legal parking place. If it's not legally-parked it should be assumed to be like any other bit of junk someone dumps in a public street (like old matresses or outdated computers). Nobody would really care if I damaged an old sofa that was blocking the pavement, why should it be any different if it's a car?

The tendency of drivers to park their vehicles anywhere they can physically get them to fit, regardless of inconvenience to others, is annoying. I would like to see a superhero, the pedestrian-avenger, whose sole power is the power to disintegrate illegally-parked vehicles.
Sounds like you live in a place with too many people. It is possible to live elsewhere. I always wondered why people put up with crime, high costs, parking issues and, general insanity of big cities.

Nov 8, 2012
Sounds like you live in a place with too many people. It is possible to live elsewhere. I always wondered why people put up with crime, high costs, parking issues and, general insanity of big cities.

Jobs that pay high sums. Honestly, it's the only reason I'm still in this shit hole. Everything else (lots of restaurants, dickhole drivers, complete retards, etc...) I could easily do without.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Jobs that pay high sums. Honestly, it's the only reason I'm still in this shit hole. Everything else (lots of restaurants, dickhole drivers, complete retards, etc...) I could easily do without.
At what point does earnings make poor quality of life acceptable? I used to work for the corporate world at twice my current salary and it still wasn't worth it.

Nov 8, 2012
At what point does earnings make poor quality of life acceptable? I used to work for the corporate world at twice my current salary and it still wasn't worth it.

Carrot chasing.. I hate work so much that I am driven to work for large pay in an effort to retire sooner. Add on top of that having kids and wanting to pay for stuff like their college.

I'm also just now partially through my career enough to say I'm "experienced". Which is a really big problem in today's society - kids out of school are desperate for anything - so thats part of what the corporate world does is abuse them into working 60 hour weeks while holding the carrot of career advancement in front of them.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

In my opinion it's not too many people, it's too many cars. Cars are a very inefficient use of the limited space in urban areas. Driving is subsidized, that's the biggest problem. It distorts people's choices by making it artificially cheap compared to alternatives. Free on-street parking is one of the forms of subsidy (why should you be able to store your bulky personal possessions on public land?). Failure to internalise the external costs like pollution is another. The failure to enforce parking regulations just makes it worse.

(I doubt that's the motivation behind most car-keying incidents, of course)

Last edited:
Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah but teaching someone a lesson isn't a wrong, she'll think twice before messing with someones car for the rest of her life, thats public service right there.
Egging her car back would have been a better solution as slashing her tires is overboard.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Egging her car back would have been a better solution as slashing her tires is overboard.

Taking things overboard is the key to good lesson teaching. If I would of egged her car she would of egged mine back or keyed it or something slightly worse. Me going straight to leaving her stranded at work and making her spend hundreds of dollars put an end to it right then and there.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Why? Egg yolk will eat through the clear coat. Actual physical damage.