Is buying a house now in Cali a fool proof investment?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
even tho i just got my first job and i can serioulsy not afford one and live comfortably...

what do you guys think?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
You live in Irvine? How much are houses going for down there? about 750k for a 3 bedroom 2 bath?

ohnnyj

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Maybe a good investment, but an expensive one. It is difficult to find anything at a reasonable price in California.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jinduy
Originally posted by: KLin
You live in Irvine? How much are houses going for down there? about 750k for a 3 bedroom 2 bath?

if you're lucky.

yep

3 bedroom 2 bath is about $1.3Mil in this part

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ohnnyj
Maybe a good investment, but an expensive one. It is difficult to find anything at a reasonable price in California.

expensive or not... do you think appreciation is guaranteed or close to 100%?

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Amol

if you're lucky.

yep

Man....

No matter how many times it's posted here, I still can't get over how insanely expensive real estate is in California...

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
i remember hearing real estate in cali is going to bust so.........

sillysalamanders

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: OverVolt
i remember hearing real estate in cali is going to bust so.........

sillysalamanders

i pray so... i pray so... it sucks hving to worry about buying a house damnit. just to live in!

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

if you're lucky.

Just did a search and found lots of 3/2 houses between 650-750 in Irvine.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

if you're lucky.

yep

Man....

No matter how many times it's posted here, I still can't get over how insanely expensive real estate is in California...

it's going to go down soon . . . seriously . . .

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
You would be a fool to buy.

why? please enlighten me!! :D

THe market is at a peak. Buying now as an investment will probably be a good gun in the long term (30+ years) but in the short term, the bubble looks like it will burst any minute and you will find that you spent much more than you could sell if for in a little while. Wait...wait until there is a housing makret crash (there WILL be one, there always is) and buy when the market seems to be at the bottom of a long freefall. Then you can make a decent return in much less time.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

if you're lucky.

yep

Man....

it's going to go down soon . . . seriously . . .
They said that three years ago. We bought our house (5 BR, 3 BA) in 1995, it's more than doubled in value in these ten years.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BullyCanadian
just curious how much will it cost to build a new house, say 3 bdrm and 2 baths in cali?

Depends on your location. You can probably build a house in the San Joaquin Valley for about 200-250k.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
just curious how much will it cost to build a new house, say 3 bdrm and 2 baths in cali?

Depends on your location. You can probably build a house in the San Joaquin Valley for about 200-250k.

interesting... so are you implying it would be cheaper to buy the land and then build a house? i guess then the hard part after that is actually finding land to build on.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

interesting... so are you implying it would be cheaper to buy the land and then build a house? i guess then the hard part after that is actually finding land to build on.

It could be cheaper than buying a tract home. But it's like you say, you have to find land first that is zoned for residential.

Dec 4, 2002

interesting... so are you implying it would be cheaper to buy the land and then build a house? i guess then the hard part after that is actually finding land to build on in an area that you would want to live in.

fixed ;)

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: CheapArse

interesting... so are you implying it would be cheaper to buy the land and then build a house? i guess then the hard part after that is actually finding land to build on in an area that you would want to live in.

fixed ;)

heh i stand corrected.