Is Bush really that bad? Or..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2000
He is satan.

He is a 45 IQ worthless piece of shit.

I wish him dead daily.

He is the worst politician of my lifetime.

I have never detested another politician like I hate him. I can't imagine anyone being worse. Does that clear it up for you?

Seriously, I feared exactly this when he was first running, and I said so. My fears have been mostly realized. I say this without being partisan, because I don't believe in parties at all and am closer to a republican than a democrat in most things (at least according to their core ideologies, not necessarily their current voter issues).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: RichardE
Topic Title: Is Bush really that bad? Or..

Do we just hate him because he has the power to be bad? To be honest, many P&N posters would make much worse presidents due to different opinions I think. Also, looking at Bush's policies, as well as some decisions made he still seems to be an extremely, extremely intelligent person, even if his decisions were not liked by a good majority of people.

No, greatest President ever.

He got everything he set out to do done. You can't get any better than that.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Topic Title: Is Bush really that bad? Or..

Do we just hate him because he has the power to be bad? To be honest, many P&N posters would make much worse presidents due to different opinions I think. Also, looking at Bush's policies, as well as some decisions made he still seems to be an extremely, extremely intelligent person, even if his decisions were not liked by a good majority of people.

No, greatest President ever.

He got everything he set out to do done. You can't get any better than that.

So he basically had the same goals as Bin Laden? The destruction of the US?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets us quit pussyfooting around and tell the unvarnished truth, GWB is beyond all doubt, the worst President we have ever had. Yet I do not per say think he is as evil as the evil this administration has done.

Nor do I think him a mental midget or mental giant, or all that different from average capacities, but he is somewhat of a reminder of how good people can be totally corrupted by their surroundings. With GWB an almost perfect storm case.

It is usually said of a President, that much of the Presidents work is done by the 5000 or so people that the President appoints to the top Federal departments, but GWB has done away with that and instead relies on a small inner circle of like minded people. His enablers and subordinates, GWB is supposed to run them, and sadly, I think the case is, they run him. People like Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Feith, and Rove do have ability and a vision of what they think is best for the country. Their failure is largely contained in the latter point because they are so in love with a theory that they must be right and therefore the failure of their correctly applied theory can't possibly happen. And maybe if everyone in the world thought exactly like the inner circle, they might be on to something, but the fact is that very few people agree, and like all Utopian ideas, its bound to fail on just their arrogance.

But once convinced of the rightness of their own theories, GWB&co seems to have an unlimited ability to justify any means to achieve an end, and seem to have a similar ability to never question their own theories or ideas. Any failures must be the fault of others and therefore others must be tricked, forced, and manipulated into supporting their ideals. And as long as they can support the ego of the President, GWB need never really have an independent reality checks or a need to pay the slightest heed to any critics. In the end, GWB feels he will be proven right and his whole life, is testimony to coming back from failure. Never mind the facts someone else always bailed his ass out, he came back and that is what counts.

Normally, if you or I had this delusion that we could jump off of tall buildings in a single bound, we would be cured after going splat on the sidewalk. In the case of GWB&co, he tosses us, we the American people off tall buildings, and if we can't fly and fail, its our fault because his theory can't be wrong.

Other Presidents have had similar ego problems, but GWB&co has elevated the insulation from reality to an unprecedented level.

And no Non Prof John, you may be somewhat right in comparing the popularity of GWB and Truman, but history has proven Truman's ideas and vision correct long term, but I very much doubt history will ever prove GWB correct because the very theories his administration operates under are bad in a short and long term sense.

Oct 30, 2004

Aside from the Iraq debacle and his failure to crush Al Queda and to hasten the demise of the Islamic Fundamentalists, Bush deserves the title as the nation's worst president because under his watch the rate of the nation's transformation into a third world country increased dramatically. Bush didn't merely fail to address global labor arbitrage, population explosion, and the nation's problems in dealing with the world's Malthusian natural resource crisis (oil), he either didn't acknowledge the problems, barely acknowledge them, or made them worse (such as his support for an illegal alien amnesty bill). Hundreds of years from now the Bush presidency might be regarded as the turning point in the history of the American Empire--that point in time when Americans' standard of living stopped improving and began its permanent decline.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
His attempt to have Georgia become a NATO member seems to have blown up his his face, another dismal failure of his Foriegn Policy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Aside from the Iraq debacle and his failure to crush Al Queda and to hasten the demise of the Islamic Fundamentalists, Bush deserves the title as the nation's worst president because under his watch the rate of the nation's transformation into a third world country increased dramatically. Bush didn't merely fail to address global labor arbitrage, population explosion, and the nation's problems in dealing with the world's Malthusian natural resource crisis (oil), he either didn't acknowledge the problems, barely acknowledge them, or made them worse (such as his support for an illegal alien amnesty bill). Hundreds of years from now the Bush presidency might be regarded as the turning point in the history of the American Empire--that point in time when Americans' standard of living stopped improving and began its permanent decline.

rofl ^ 10.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

I don't anyone, ceratinly not anyone here, can determine if Bush is the "worst ever". We don't have the knowledge about all of our presidents to make that decision. But I think it is safe to say that he is one of the worst, and probably the worst in the recent 40-50 years.

9/11 - I won't blame Bush for this, I thin k it most likley would have happened regardless. Politicans of both sides tend to ignore things until something happens. Also, the economy after 9/11 wasn't his fault

Iraq - 100% his fault. It's been shown time and time again that there was no evidence in 2002 (and still none now) that Saddam was linked to 9/11, anthrax, or had WMD. He has killed over 100,000 innocent people, and spent trillions on this.

Torture - 100% his fault. HE didnt' have to decide to break the law, and he should be held accountable. Under international and US law, this is 100% illegal. He's the president, it's his fault

Illegal wireless tapping - 100% his fault. He ordered this, so you can't blame anyone else. The fact that congress caved on immunity dopesn't change the fact that it was illegal.

Gitmo - 100% his fault. See torture above, to have our president claim that he is above the law and has the power to hold *anyone* he wants *forever* is just totally wrong.

Afghanistan - Invading was correct I think , but due to Bush's real mission of invading Iraq, he has sacrificed this campaign, which is the more important place to be fighting.

So if anyone can show a recent president that broke that many laws and killed that many innocent people, then maybe Bush might have competition, but until then, yes, he really is that bad.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
He's not that bad, he's worse.

You somewhat beat me to the punch on that one liner. But the other point to make is that we do not even know a 1/4 of how bad GWB&co is yet. The one thing GWB&co has been very good at is at hiding the truth and preventing any inquiry from the courts or congress.

And while enough leaks out to form a semi clear picture of means, methods, and various illegalities, for the more principled of us, those speculations do not constitute
the proof we need yet.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, he's really that bad and IMO he will go down as one of the worst presidents in history.

I was watching the Olympics coverage last night and in between the events Costas did a brief interview with Bush (transcript link here). He started off much better than I'm used to in interviews and was actually making sense for a change. Then he went down 'religion road' talking about how once religion starts can't be stopped and how Chinese churches should be registered. IMO it is totally unacceptable for the leader of our country to act as missionary preacher of his faith to China.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
I think Bush's intentions are genuine, but his perception of reality is fundementally different from the rest of the World. He is also NOT willing to adjust his reasoning based on information etc.

I think he behaves and acts in a very predictable manner. I can tell you before he vetoes ANYTHING, just what exactly he will veto before his announcement.

Also,

I will never forgive him for going on vacation for the entire month of August prior to 9/11. Before 9/11 he was already 30+ days on vacation that year on his ranch in Texas. Inexcusable.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I think if Bush was a good speaker and was charismatic, his approval ratings would be much higher.

People find reasons to dislike leaders who stammer and generally speak poorly. I think it has nothing to do with his policies.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
I wouldn't call him a traitor in chief or a murderer, but he's pretty bad as far as presidents go.

This.

Bush has made some incredibly short-sighted decisions, and has failed to be be fiscally responsible. He has also contributed to the increasing religious polarization of this country as well as getting us stuck in a war we really shouldn't have gotten into in the first place.

The biggest problem that I see is that he has so polarized the country that we are likely (almost guaranteed) to have a backlash that is far stronger than it needs to be and move too far in the other direction. I think that Bush has largely set the stage for a series of rather tumultuous swings from one side of the political spectrum to the other and that we're going to be in for a rocky few decades unless someone comes along who can moderate the differences between the two sides.

My biggest fear is that we will continue to have candidates who are one extreme or the other and will not have a true choice for a centrist option for many years.

ZV

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
I don't think he's the evil warmongering genius and polished liar most people make him out to be.

I just think he's a complete fvcking idiot who's in way over his head. I think he's made some disastrous decisions because he's too damn simple to comprehend all the intricate variables and possible consequences. I believe he probably honestly thinks he's doing the right thing for Jesus and the USA, but I also believe he's been utterly wrong about what that is and how to achieve it, because, again, he's just plain stupid. Now his henchmen, on the other hand, are evil, warmongering liars, and again, he's so ignorant and naive that they just lead him around on a leash and tell him he's heading the right direction.

In any case, whether I'm right or wrong about the details, his administration has certainly been an epic disaster for this country and the world at large.

i agree. i don't think he is Evil. but i do think he is just a puppet of evil men and he is to stupid to figure it out.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Atreus21
I think if Bush was a good speaker and was charismatic, his approval ratings would be much higher.

People find reasons to dislike leaders who stammer and generally speak poorly. I think it has nothing to do with his policies.

Yeah people would be all for the invasion of Iraq now if only we'd justified it with slightly better vocabulary.