Is bringing a 22" back to the US from china okay?

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Im flying NWA going back to the US from china and im packing a 22"....would it be safe? I have it packed via layers of clothes - monitor - clothes - miscellanious items...Would it be acceptable as a carry-on?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A 22" what?

Ah...ok. LCD I assume.

With the way luggage is handled (international is even worse) I personally wouldn't trust it to come through undamaged.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
As a carry-on inside a bag? Probably, if you can fit it. I wouldn't carry it on outside of a bag.

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about an LCD monitor.

Edit 2: Yes, it appears you are. If you pack it in your checked luggage with no styrofoam I think it'd break

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
try to bring it on as a carry-on. luggage gets thrown around when getting loaded on/off flights. dont expect it to arrive in one piece unless u are physically carrying it with you!

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I was thinking a wheel :)

Thats what I get for listening to the hip-hop ( aka top 40) channel yesterday.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
No

Wrapping clothes around it will not safely protect it.

Find yourself some large-bubble bubblewrap and wrap it with the bubbles side down toward your monitor, flat membrane side out toward the exterior. That causes the flat membrane to stand off away from the monitor an inch or so.

If you wrongly put the flat membrane side against the monitor, a damaging object can easily come in between the bubbles and contact the monitor.

I'd wind 2 layers on there & tape it off. That'll make it bulky. Good. That's insurance against damage.

Carry on & put it in overhead luggage. Watch that no late boarders dump other stuff on top of it in the oh luggage bin.

If you can't carry it on, then find a heavy cardboard carton to put your bukly bubble wrapped monitor in, fill the empty space with more bubblewrap, tape it off, check it as luggage. What else can you do?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
You bought a 22" monitor in a foreign country to save $50? Hope you dont have to mail it in for warranty service.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: bctbct
You bought a 22" monitor in a foreign country to save $50? Hope you dont have to mail it in for warranty service.
the fun part will be when he gets to customs and has to declare it then pay the tax on it there...so much for that $50 :p

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakkon
Originally posted by: bctbct
the fun part will be when he gets to customs and has to declare it then pay the tax on it there...so much for that $50 :p

He will probably lie, but yeah how stupid :roll: Just pay the $50 and buy it in the US.