Is Bollywood breaking into hollywood?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: mattpegher
Just watched "The Myth" with Jackie Chan and " The Last Legion" and noticed two rather attractive Bollywood stars. Now I'm a whitey from Jersey but these were two very attractive women.

Mallika Sherawat

Aishwarya Rai

Have they been in any movies that didn't suck?

Hey name a movie out on dvd new releases now that doesnt suck.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Just watched "The Myth" with Jackie Chan and " The Last Legion" and noticed two rather attractive Bollywood stars. Now I'm a whitey from Jersey but these were two very attractive women.

Mallika Sherawat

Aishwarya Rai

Have they been in any movies that didn't suck?

Hey name a movie out on dvd new releases now that doesnt suck.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/...d/current_releases.php

A bunch towards the top of the list.

Oct 4, 2004
Some of the better recent Bollywood movies:
Rang De Basanti starring Aamir Khan Poster
Dil Chahta Hai starring Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan Poster
Swades starring Shahrukh Fucking Khan Poster

Most of the movies Bollywood puts out is the same old fucking bullshit. Indian audiences refuse to accept any movie that breaks 'teh formula'. And Bollywood has lots of good male actors but sorely lacks talented female actors that can actually handle a serious dramatic role.

Aishwarya Rai can't act, is royally shitty at emotional scenes and has the world's most annoying laugh. She's currently trying to dumb her dumb self down to levels so dumb...it's dumb.

Edit: These three movies are the rare few that a Western audience can probably relate to. I've liked some other movies recently but you really have to be Indian to 'get it'.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Haha at you have to be Indian to "get" Bollywood movies. What's to get? Western movies used to be like that... 70 years ago.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
That's fucking South India. Us Indians in the US are light skinned (mostly). We're basically white.
I hope so. This is the greatest White nation on earth. Lets keep it that way.

White power!

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
Haha at you have to be Indian to "get" Bollywood movies. What's to get? Western movies used to be like that... 70 years ago.

Well, all our movies - socio-political drama, romance, comedy, thrillers, war epics, sci-fi, superhero flicks etc. - have to have 6 songs in the movie. Sometimes, they are done nicely as seen here...usually, they are thrown in just for the heck of it.

The acting is always over-the-top, the sets look like they are out of an Ikea catalog, the clothes are all top-rung designer wear, there is some seriously heavy preaching (traditional family values, religion etc.)...it's kind of hard to put in words. You really have to watch a Bollywood summer blockbuster to get what I'm finding myself incapable of explaining in words. :D

(The guy in the video is Shahrukh Khan, the biggest name in Indian cinema.)

Edit: Another song from the same movie. Basically, if you can handle a song in an unknown language (that carries the story forward) every 20 minutes or so, you are golden.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

Well, all our movies - socio-political drama, romance, comedy, thrillers, war epics, sci-fi, superhero flicks etc. - have to have 6 songs in the movie. Sometimes, they are done nicely as seen here...usually, they are thrown in just for the heck of it.

The acting is always over-the-top, the sets look like they are out of an Ikea catalog, the clothes are all top-rung designer wear, there is some seriously heavy preaching (traditional family values, religion etc.)...it's kind of hard to put in words. You really have to watch a Bollywood summer blockbuster to get what I'm finding myself incapable of explaining in words. :D

Edit: Another song from the same movie. Basically, if you can handle a song in an unknown language (that carries the story forward) every 20 minutes or so, you are golden.

To "get" something means to understand it. I understand why there are songs, I just think they're stupid. I understand why the acting is bad and why the production values are so low, I just still find that horrible.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

To "get" something means to understand it. I understand why there are songs, I just think they're stupid. I understand why the acting is bad and why the production values are so low, I just still find that horrible.

yea we aren't exactly talking my fair lady/sound of music/chicago here. theres no quality control!

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: pyonir
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: pyonir
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: her209
What the hell is Bollywood?

Welcome out from under your rock :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood

I consider myself reasonably informed about things...and i've never heard or seen that term before. You should create a thread with a poll.

Seriously? I've heard it a lot. I guess you don't know many Indian people :p

No, i don't. And since there are a lot of Indian people here, i'm sure a lot of people here will know it of course.

FWIW, I'm white and I've heard of it.

And this was before I started taking film classes, so don't play that card.

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Throwmeabone
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Most of the attractive Indian actresses don't look Indian at all- they look Italian or Spanish. They're much fairer skinned than the general Indian population.

I find their culture's obsession with light skin to be fucked up.

And they were obsessed with lighter skin even before the English showed up. The upper class in India, especially northern India, have had lighter skin than the general population for thousands of years. Something about European tribes migrating into India and conquering it thousands of years ago...

Not sure where you got this European tribes thing from. North Indians get their color from the Aryans and not from "European tribes".

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: jai6638
Most of the attractive Indian actresses don't look Indian at all- they look Italian or Spanish. They're much fairer skinned than the general Indian population.

I find their culture's obsession with light skin to be fucked up.

And they were obsessed with lighter skin even before the English showed up. The upper class in India, especially northern India, have had lighter skin than the general population for thousands of years. Something about European tribes migrating into India and conquering it thousands of years ago...

Not sure where you got this European tribes thing from. North Indians get their color from the Aryans and not from "European tribes".

Okay, Eurasian, if you'd like. Point is, non-Dravidian peoples from the north-west.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

I find the extreme value of fair skin in that culture to be fucked up.
Almost every culture values fair skin.

The Kevin "Eyes & Teeth" Garnett look doesn't sell in the modeling world.

The current stereotype of us Indians are that we're supposed to be dark brown accented people.

That's fucking South India. Us Indians in the US are light skinned (mostly). We're basically white.

uhh... no. Most Indians in the USA are still somewhat darker skinned.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

White power!

I hope you're kidding because you are in for a rude awakening. Hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the US.Hell in Texas it wont be long before they will in fact be the majority.

If you really believe that, you are an ignorant F**K.

back to subject. I find that a lot of Indian women are extremely hot.may just have to marry me one.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

I find the extreme value of fair skin in that culture to be fucked up.
Almost every culture values fair skin.

The Kevin "Eyes & Teeth" Garnett look doesn't sell in the modeling world.

The current stereotype of us Indians are that we're supposed to be dark brown accented people.

uhh... no. Most Indians in the USA are still somewhat darker skinned.

At least here in the bay area, most Indian people I see are dark.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: dawp

White power!

I hope you're kidding because you are in for a rude awakening. Hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the US.Hell in Texas it wont be long before they will in fact be the majority.

back to subject. I find that a lot of Indian women are extremely hot.may just have to marry me one.

hope you like lots of hair. All the Indian women I have been with or seen have ALOT of it. I could look past that(shaving ftw), but also every single one did not eat meat. Guess I need an ABI who isn't hindu

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Nitemare

White power!

hope you like lots of hair. All the Indian women I have been with or seen have ALOT of it. I could look past that(shaving ftw), but also every single one did not eat meat. Guess I need an ABI who isn't hindu

You guys must have south indians near ya. Over here, it's just like skinned indian people you'd mistake for white people if they hadn't had black hair.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

White power!

there's nothing like exploring through the bush. if ya haven't tried it, maybe you should. and I've had both shaved and otherwise.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

White power!

there's nothing like exploring through the bush. if ya haven't tried it, maybe you should. and I've had both shaved and otherwise.

bush is fine, provided they believe in really good hygiene....this is sometimes not the case.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

White power!

I will pitch in for a genetic test on this member. I would love to see his reaction to finding out he is not as "white" as he thinks.

jpeyton, you do realize where all "white" people, hell all people, came from originally?

pyonir, pretty shocked you have never heard of Bollywood.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

White power!

bush is fine, provided they believe in really good hygiene....this is sometimes not the case.

oh i know, i knew some pretty nasty women who shaved.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

White power!

You've lost your trolling ability over the years. However, you did manage to fool some people already in this thread.