Is Bollywood breaking into hollywood?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I hate the term bollywood, it just sounds retarded. Another one of those words that the press makes up that senseless people lap up like the dogs they are.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: jandrews
I hate the term bollywood, it just sounds retarded. Another one of those words that the press makes up that senseless people lap up like the dogs they are.

i don't think that it's a press word...

oh, so i watched The Last Legion last night. Man, was that bad!

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There are tons of beautiful Indian women in their movies. The wife is Indian, so we watch at least a handful every week it seems. There seems to be an endless supply of beautiful women.

A lot of the Bollywood movies are a lot of fun. There are even some serious movies that I think rival Hollywood in terms of acting and production quality. Many don't though. Tamil and Telugu movies tend to be a lot of fun to watch, imo.

And I guess other people have addressed the issue of Indians being fair skinned. I think that's largely because many people from ATOT experience Indian culture through something in IT (primarily), and many ITers are from Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc. They are south Indian, so they are sometimes a little darker.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Bollywood doesn't seem to be anywhere near the powerhouse that Hollywood is. Check out the highest gross films. It's only under $20 million. The commas are a bit weird so be sure to count the digits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...ossing_Bollywood_films

Though they sure love their movies. I thought Titanic ran for an insane amount of weeks but Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge has been running since '95.

EDIT: found the group that made the instructional clips in LOST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma_Productions

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: JTsyo

LOL, I'm pretty sure Dharma Productions has nothing to do with the DHARMA Initiative in Lost.

Titanic ran for 55+ weeks at a local theater here in Hyderabad, India. In Southern India (specifically Tamil Nadu where worshipping movie stars takes on a whole new meaning), releases featuring hyper-popular stars run shows 6AM-3AM for the first few weeks!

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
Haha at you have to be Indian to "get" Bollywood movies. What's to get? Western movies used to be like that... 70 years ago.

Well, all our movies - socio-political drama, romance, comedy, thrillers, war epics, sci-fi, superhero flicks etc. - have to have 6 songs in the movie. Sometimes, they are done nicely as seen here...usually, they are thrown in just for the heck of it.

The acting is always over-the-top, the sets look like they are out of an Ikea catalog, the clothes are all top-rung designer wear, there is some seriously heavy preaching (traditional family values, religion etc.)...it's kind of hard to put in words. You really have to watch a Bollywood summer blockbuster to get what I'm finding myself incapable of explaining in words. :D

(The guy in the video is Shahrukh Khan, the biggest name in Indian cinema.)

Edit: Another song from the same movie. Basically, if you can handle a song in an unknown language (that carries the story forward) every 20 minutes or so, you are golden.

why do i always get embarrassed when I watch any indian movie song that was shot in US or some other western country?

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Aharami
why do i always get embarrassed when I watch any indian movie song that was shot in US or some other western country?

Well, at least in this case, the whole movie was shot in New York. At least we are past the days where Yash Chopra would shoot songs in the hills of Switzerland and pass it off as Punjab or Himachal Pradesh. :p

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Originally posted by: JTsyo

LOL, I'm pretty sure Dharma Productions has nothing to do with the DHARMA Initiative in Lost.

Titanic ran for 55+ weeks at a local theater here in Hyderabad, India. In Southern India (specifically Tamil Nadu where worshipping movie stars takes on a whole new meaning), releases featuring hyper-popular stars run shows 6AM-3AM for the first few weeks!

Dude, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge ( DDLJ ) has been showing in a Bombay Cinema ever since it released ( 12 years approx )!!!!!

Oct 4, 2004
I know, at Maratha Mandir IIRC. Beat Sholay's record (8 years?)

I was just commenting on the longest-running Hollywood movie that I've seen here.