Question Is better I5 9600k or i7 9700k for the xtreme z390 aorus?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
Good mornig and good Santa Claus at all i have ordered 1 aorus Z390 xtreme and i need advice for the cpu my interest is streaming gaming and photo/video editing amatorial, so is better i5 9600k or i7 9700k?
And probably i need help for the processor overclock that i have write in the thread when i have buy 1!!!
Ah sorry i present me my name is Federico from Padova!!!!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Imho .. the 9600k is fine. I play games, edit video, on a 4.2ghz 4670k. You get +25% SC performance, +75% MC performance, i dont think you'd have any problems.
Also the aorus extreme ... jesus. How much was that ??
You know you can buy a $130 z390 and the results will be the same, yes?
but the xtreme has Gold Plated Audio Jacks!

i think the motherboard choice is great, i would have got the aorus master but the Xtreme sounds so good if you need the extra's. Im 100% sure it will overclock better and have a better VRM temp than a 130$ motherboard, so silly to suggest that. (which 130$ motherboard are you going to be pairing with the 500$ 9900K?) im in the same boat i really want to pull the trigger on the 9900k, as soon as i see the next zen chip i will buy one or the other or both (i have 4 boxes i wouldnt mind upgrading)

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
but the xtreme has Gold Plated Audio Jacks!

i think the motherboard choice is great, i would have got the aorus master but the Xtreme sounds so good if you need the extra's. Im 100% sure it will overclock better and have a better VRM temp than a 130$ motherboard, so silly to suggest that. (which 130$ motherboard are you going to be pairing with the 500$ 9900K?) im in the same boat i really want to pull the trigger on the 9900k, as soon as i see the next zen chip i will buy one or the other or both (i have 4 boxes i wouldnt mind upgrading)

Aorus Master can be found for $250... the extreme is over double that. It's a horrible choice for someone on a budget. OP should have picked up a 9900k, $200-$250 mobo, and rocked out but he blew half his budget on an overpriced halo mobo.

Reactions: DigDog

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

well sure any board can overclock to 5ghz but will it do it forever? should we buy 2 z390 when the first one fails?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-review,20.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asrock_z390_taichi_ultimate_review,20.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_z390_aorus_pro_review,19.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_mpg_z390_gaming_pro_carbon_review,19.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_strix_z390_e_gaming_review,20.html

now tell me which one is the best?. ((spoiler first linked aorus master)) For me i dont upgrade mainboards or cpu's. If your mainboard fails after 2 years there is a chance there will be a slim selection of new items. Now if you buy 2x130$ motherboards and keep one for later when first one possibly dies :) then u will be OK. but im far to bizzy to spend my free time changing motherboards.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Convenient how you left out that the master hit 5.1 while the msi hit 5.2,
and what exactly about 46c vrm is worrying you ?
You really dont know anything about pc components, uh? You'd think after 4k posts you would have picked up something.
Oh yeah lets not leave anything out; can it do it forever? Yes it can.
Can it fail? Probably not.
Can a $500 mobo fail? If you understood what caps are you would know - but the answer is that a $500 fails just about as much as a $150.
Spamming dislikes isn't gonna make my reaction bar look like yours. I i know why yours looks the way it does.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Convenient how you left out that the master hit 5.1 while the msi hit 5.2,
and what exactly about 46c vrm is worrying you ?
You really dont know anything about pc components, uh? You'd think after 4k posts you would have picked up something.
Oh yeah lets not leave anything out; can it do it forever? Yes it can.
Can it fail? Probably not.
Can a $500 mobo fail? If you understood what caps are you would know - but the answer is that a $500 fails just about as much as a $150.
Spamming dislikes isn't gonna make my reaction bar look like yours. I i know why yours looks the way it does.

lulz so funny. the boards have been out less than a year and you already claim it can do it forever! wow 5.2 vs 5.1 doesnt worry me high temps do.

one dislike is spamming to you? i made trump posts for fun and go figure the welfare loving Hillary fans disliked it everyone cant always be liked sorry if it offends you that my opinion is different than you.

do you honestly think a 150$ motherboard fails the same amount as a 500$ board? less features to go out but i am talking about catastrophic failure.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This is why I don't like the reaction bars. Well, one reason. Bleh. Sure, it's only gonna be a problem in P&N . . .

Anyway, OP already spent his money, but he can fit a 9900k into his budget anyway, probably. Problem is he is holding out for a custom WC kit and expensive RAM that he (probably) doesn't need, so that has also squeezed his budget to the point that he is now looking at the 9700k or 9600k. Between those two, obviously, he should just get the 9700k.

It is unfortunate that less-expensive RAM and less-expensive cooling could have gotten him overall better speed in the 9900k. No amount of overclocking of the lesser chips will get him the same performance.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you are going to get RAM, do not get the Corsair Dominator products since (at least in the US) they are something like 30% more expensive than other RAM with similar base specs. It is pretty rare that Dominator makes any sense, especially not on a budget.

For example, Team Night Hawk DDR4-3200 CAS16 is $125 in the US, while Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3200 CAS16 is $160 (both 2x8GB). Dunno what prices you are seeing on euro Amazon, but I would expect similar markups.

And how much are you having to pay for those WC kits?

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
For the kit 360 ek 379€ with soft tube 289 the kit ek 360 with hard tube and 419 the thermaltake kit 360 with hard tube i have the heat gun of the alphacool for the ram i take a look the hyperx predator or patriot viper or the g-skill trident z

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You're paying way too much for those WC kits. Seriously! Do not buy.

There is 0% reason to get a 9600k or 9700k + WC kit when you can fit a 9900k + AiO into the same budget. You will never get enough clockspeed from that WC kit to make a 9700k "worth it". The 9900k has HT, better-binned cores, and more L3. Get the 9900k and make the cooling and RAM fit into your remaining budget.

Look at the Corsair H150i PRO or maybe the NZXT Kraken X72. The Kraken might get a little loud if you push it.

G.Skill is usually a good choice on RAM. Be aware that Trident Z products tend to be a little more expensive than some of the other G.Skill products with similar or identical specs. You really have to look at the RAM, the specs, and the price and decide what is the best buy. For example, I can get G.Skill Sniper X DDR4-3600 CAS19 for $120, or I can get G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CAS19 for $160. Why am I buying the Trident Z? They have the same timings (19-20-20-40) so . . . ?

In fact I would highly recommend you look for the Sniper X DDR4-3600. It's probably Samsung b-die, and that price is pretty nice. I would be surprised if you had to pay more than 150 Euros for that RAM. The timings are nothing special, but still . . .

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
You're paying way too much for those WC kits. Seriously! Do not buy.

There is 0% reason to get a 9600k or 9700k + WC kit when you can fit a 9900k + AiO into the same budget. You will never get enough clockspeed from that WC kit to make a 9700k "worth it". The 9900k has HT, better-binned cores, and more L3. Get the 9900k and make the cooling and RAM fit into your remaining budget.

Look at the Corsair H150i PRO or maybe the NZXT Kraken X72. The Kraken might get a little loud if you push it.

G.Skill is usually a good choice on RAM. Be aware that Trident Z products tend to be a little more expensive than some of the other G.Skill products with similar or identical specs. You really have to look at the RAM, the specs, and the price and decide what is the best buy. For example, I can get G.Skill Sniper X DDR4-3600 CAS19 for $120, or I can get G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CAS19 for $160. Why am I buying the Trident Z? They have the same timings (19-20-20-40) so . . . ?

In fact I would highly recommend you look for the Sniper X DDR4-3600. It's probably Samsung b-die, and that price is pretty nice. I would be surprised if you had to pay more than 150 Euros for that RAM. The timings are nothing special, but still . . .
So what is the best aio thermaltake floe riings or bequiet or alphacool or ek phoenix or what?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So what is the best aio thermaltake floe riings or bequiet or alphacool or ek phoenix or what?

I would look at the Kraken X72 or H150i PRO. Feel free to ask around the Cases&Cooling section for other opinions, or read some reviews.

edit: based on some reviews, you may also want to check out the Corsair H110i GT. The H150i Pro SHOULD outperform the GT, yet some of the reviews I'm reading show 280mm rad systems outperforming the 360mm rad systems. My only concern about a 280mm rad for a 9900k is that the rad may be too small for the total heat load. The Kraken X72 should outperform both Corsair units, yet I am seeing mixed results in reviews.

Also, it looks like the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 TT Performance Edition may perform fairly well. So if it is preiswert then you may wish to consider it as an alternative.

Last edited:

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
I would look at the Kraken X72 or H150i PRO. Feel free to ask around the Cases&Cooling section for other opinions, or read some reviews.

edit: based on some reviews, you may also want to check out the Corsair H110i GT. The H150i Pro SHOULD outperform the GT, yet some of the reviews I'm reading show 280mm rad systems outperforming the 360mm rad systems. My only concern about a 280mm rad for a 9900k is that the rad may be too small for the total heat load. The Kraken X72 should outperform both Corsair units, yet I am seeing mixed results in reviews.

Also, it looks like the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 TT Performance Edition may perform fairly well. So if it is preiswert then you may wish to consider it as an alternative.
Another alternative is the silent loop of bequiet!
Ah for the ram i have buy the 3600 vengeance pro rgb 16gb cl16

Last edited: