Is Baltimore really such a dump, or does TV make it look so

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
There are numerous police shows that take place in Baltimore (including the greatest one ever, The Wire) and it always comes across as a shithole with dope fiends and murders.

Is it being done injustice by those shows or is it really so?
Why is everyone picking on Baltimore?

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

No profanity in titles subtitles or sigs

esquared
Anandtech Forrum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
There's a block where there are like 20 dirty looking strip clubs next to each other. The police station is practically on the same block. That's probably the nice area of town.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's a city. There's good parts, and shitty parts. I like it alright as far as cities go.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Grew up in Baltimore (first 6 years of life) and my extended family still lives there. It's an absolute shithole. My grandma lives in the ghetto near Caroline St. and North Ave. They filmed an episode of the wire around the corner, but they changed the street names.

For a while there, people were getting killed on every couple of weeks around there, so they put street cameras up on the light poles.

Funny enough, the shittiness of Baltimore doesn't phase me at all. I spent the early part of my life there and we visited at least once a month while growing up even though we moved to NC.

It was a total culture shock for my wife (who grew up on NC) when I took her to visit my grandma about 5 years ago. Just the whole rundown and shitty nature of the inner city rowhouses was not something she was used to.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's a block where there are like 20 dirty looking strip clubs next to each other. The police station is practically on the same block. That's probably the nice area of town.

That's "The Block", and it's only a shadow of it's former self. The nancies have done their best to get rid of it, and they've taken a lot of the character in the process.

Reactions: Meghan54

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, one nice thing about downtown though, is that Johns Hopkins seems to be buying up a lot of the shitty houses and crackhouses to expand "the collective". Hopkins is truly The Borg of hospitals.

But I'll be back in the warzone this coming weekend. I'm taking my dad to an Orioles game and we're staying with my grandma in ghetto town.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Grew up in Baltimore (first 6 years of life) and my extended family still lives there. It's an absolute shithole. My grandma lives in the ghetto near Caroline St. and North Ave. They filmed an episode of the wire around the corner, but they changed the street names.

For a while there, people were getting killed on every couple of weeks around there, so they put street cameras up on the light poles.

Funny enough, the shittiness of Baltimore doesn't phase me at all. I spent the early part of my life there and we visited at least once a month while growing up even though we moved to NC.

It was a total culture shock for my wife (who grew up on NC) when I took her to visit my grandma about 5 years ago. Just the whole rundown and shitty nature of the inner city rowhouses was not something she was used to.

Your grandma lives in the absolute worst area in Baltimore City. Having spent many years copping drugs out of alleyways and abandoned houses across Baltimore, that place is the deadliest of them all. Even my friends and cohorts that lived in the west side projects were scared to go to that neighborhood. Years later I have to occasionally go back to help our clients (I work for a disability firm), and now I realize what a dumb fuck I was for hanging out there. I don't celebrate my being clean, I celebrate surviving all those years in that neighborhood.

In Baltimore, it's not a racial divide. It really comes down to renters vs home owners.

In both white, black, and mixed neighborhoods where everyone rents or is on Section 8 (welfare housing) you get The Wire. Bunch of lazy addicts and drug dealers. There are indeed many of those neighborhoods here.

However there are just as many normal working class mixed race neighborhoods where everyone owns their home and takes pride in their community. We don't make the news, there's no burnt up houses or graffiti-littered walls, no flashing cameras on the corners, and no trouble from the ghetto-ites.

And that's how we like it. Let the lowlifes kill each other off inside their ghettos and let the rest of us live in peace. It seems to work well - for us.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Your grandma lives in the absolute worst area in Baltimore City. Having spent many years copping drugs out of alleyways and abandoned houses across Baltimore, that place is the deadliest of them all. Even my friends and cohorts that lived in the west side projects were scared to go to that neighborhood. Years later I have to occasionally go back to help our clients (I work for a disability firm), and now I realize what a dumb fuck I was for hanging out there. I don't celebrate my being clean, I celebrate surviving all those years in that neighborhood.

In Baltimore, it's not a racial divide. It really comes down to renters vs home owners.

In both white, black, and mixed neighborhoods where everyone rents or is on Section 8 (welfare housing) you get The Wire. Bunch of lazy addicts and drug dealers. There are indeed many of those neighborhoods here.

However there are just as many normal working class mixed race neighborhoods where everyone owns their home and takes pride in their community. We don't make the news, there's no burnt up houses or graffiti-littered walls, no flashing cameras on the corners, and no trouble from the ghetto-ites.

And that's how we like it. Let the lowlifes kill each other off inside their ghettos and let the rest of us live in peace. It seems to work well - for us.

As bad as that area is, I don't really feel unsafe when I visit my grandmother (it's weird). There's a certain comfort factor because I spent a lot of my childhood there.

When I grew up in Baltimore, we lived on Denwood Avenue right off Moravia Rd. My babysitter (My Nana) that I had for the first 6 years of life still lives there (she lived next door). She and her husband were and still are the only white family in the neighborhood :)

I love my Nana (people used to call us salt and pepper in the early 80s) and will probably go see her this weekend :)

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
For me the exact opposite happened. I used to feel comfortable there because I knew most of the gangs or rather, they knew me. Now when I have to go there I'm as nervous as my white ass probably should have been the whole time except I was too stoned and stupid to recognize.

Plus those corners are empty now. I don't know where the dope holes are, but they are certainly not where they used to be. The area does seem to be cleaned up somewhat from the old days and I should probably cut them some slack.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hahaha. Baltimore is definitely one of the shittier cities. The Wire does it justice. Most towns have a bad section though, there are sections of south dallas that are unfuckingbelievable.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Having lived in NOVA for 3 years and talked to loads of people who live there, work there, and hang out there: Its as bad as you think.

Maybe worse.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So, what are America's crappiest shitties?

Let's start a list:
Detroit
Washington D.C.
Baltimore
???

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Baltimore is one of my favorite cities. I have not ventured into the bad parts too much though. Though sometimes I think Reading could sometimes live up to the Wire episodes.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
My best friend has lived in a suburb of Baltimore for a bit over a year, and he completely hates it.