Is anyone making an effort to bust those people who sell pirated DVDs on the streets?

dvdrdiscs

Oct 27, 2003
You guys know what I'm talking about. Those people who pull up to you in parking lots and ask if you want to buy DVDs of the latest movies. With DVD burners becoming cheaper and cheaper (along with media prices) I'm beginning to see more of these people. I'm also beginning to see more people around me buy 'em even after I told them it's not worth it. Most of these movies are cam versions that are converted from poor VCD to fit on a DVD and they don't even take up a 1gig on the DVD-R.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dvdrdiscs
You guys know what I'm talking about. Those people who pull up to you in parking lots and ask if you want to buy DVDs of the latest movies. With DVD burners becoming cheaper and cheaper (along with media prices) I'm beginning to see more of these people. I'm also beginning to see more people around me buy 'em even after I told them it's not worth it. Most of these movies are cam versions that are converted from poor VCD to fit on a DVD and they don't even take up a 1gig on the DVD-R.

Interesting handle

Jan 31, 2002
No, I don't know what you're talking about. What the hell kind of craptown do you live in where there's people hawking burnt DVDs from vans? :p

- M4H

dvdrdiscs

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Gnote

Interesting handle

I see the irony but hey it doesn't mean I do the same thing. Else I wouldn't be b*tching about it :p

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
No, I don't know what you're talking about. What the hell kind of craptown do you live in where there's people hawking burnt DVDs from vans? :p - M4H

Yea where are these parking lots?

dvdrdiscs

Oct 27, 2003
No, I don't know what you're talking about. What the hell kind of craptown do you live in where there's people hawking burnt DVDs from vans? :p

- M4H

Maybe you don't live in a big urban city. I live in the Los Angeles County and you have guys waiting in front of malls. You have young kids walking around the parking lot of supermarkets showing you a list of movies he has. There are even guys walking through neighborhoods advertising.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
there's a LOT of people around my city doing this. There's usually some asian people walking from shop to shop (convenience store, barber shop, etc) with a cart full of burnt DVDs. They also sport some fake watches and chains for sale usually

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I saw a woman selling dvds with her 4 or 5 year old son get busted in the Fulton St subway station the other day. The cops were telling her how she was going to jail and they were going to take her son away from her and put him in a home. First time I've ever seen a street vendor of any sort get busted.

phonemonkey

Feb 2, 2003
For the most part, I doubt that anyone's really doing much to stop people who resell burned movies. I hear it's really bad overseas, too.

Funny, you'd think that the media conglomerates would spend more time/money trying to curb actual piracy (the act of selling fake goods) overseas rather than suing people here in the states.

dvdrdiscs

Oct 27, 2003
What shocks me are the people selling the DVDs. Most of them look like they need food (and I guess that's why they are selling the DVDs) and most of them don't look like they can operate a VCR. I always wonder how they go about mass duplicating these poor quality piece of crap for sale to the public.

Jan 31, 2002
Maybe you don't live in a big urban city. I live in the Los Angeles County and you have guys waiting in front of malls. You have young kids walking around the parking lot of supermarkets showing you a list of movies he has. There are even guys walking through neighborhoods advertising.

I'd think that in a big urban city, broadband knowledge has proliferated enough to allow pretty much anyone to download them for free anyhow. :p

- M4H

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

I'd think that in a big urban city, broadband knowledge has proliferated enough to allow pretty much anyone to download them for free anyhow. :p

- M4H
Not really. Why bother spending the time buying a dvd burner, buying media, getting the necessary software, finding a movie, downloading it, and burning it when I can take a train down to Chinatown and buy any movie, in a nice case with liner notes, for $5?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: geno
there's a LOT of people around my city doing this. There's usually some asian people walking from shop to shop (convenience store, barber shop, etc) with a cart full of burnt DVDs. They also sport some fake watches and chains for sale usually

Now that's inconspicuous.

Never seen it here in Michigan.

Can't wait for it to spread to the mid-west.
rolleye.gif

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
What shocks me are the people selling the DVDs. Most of them look like they need food (and I guess that's why they are selling the DVDs) and most of them don't look like they can operate a VCR. I always wonder how they go about mass duplicating these poor quality piece of crap for sale to the public.
Obviously they're just resellers.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Actually I just read a thread on another forum about the RIAA hiring ex-cops and dressing them up as cop-look-alikes and telling people who were selling them they were police of the RIAA and that they need to hand over all their warez.