Question Is Anandtech dying? Why do they not have their own 4090 review on the front page?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fragbert

Oct 12, 2022
On 10/11 every relevant hardware review site and tube channel released their preemptively exhaustive reviews of the new Nvidia RTX 4090. I'm an old-timer here and have a soft spot for the pioneers still around like Anandtech and tomshardware; when I saw the aggregate list of sites with reviews I noticed Anandtech was missing. I thought this can't possibly be, my last impression of AT was that it was going on strong even after the founder's departure. Sure enough, there's no review, and a still flourishing forum with nobody else stating the obvious?

What am I missing? Is there a rift with NV and this site? Or is this just not the site it once was?

• Haha
Reactions: harias and Pohemi

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I agree, we must be from the same generation? Seems the millennials & Gen Y learn by watching moving pictures instead of taking the time to read AND comprehend walls of text & graphs. Does this reflect on the "progressiveness" of the education system from the last few decades already?

Bit harsh to blame 'the' education system as it's a global phenomenon across many countries. If anything, many education systems around the world have been dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming.

Having said that, my undergrad degree was in history/English lit so I love a good wall of text. If possible, without the distracting pictures plz.

The wife is 5 years younger than me (just young enough to have grown up on social media)and despite being educated and intelligent, it's scary to see how much time she spends viewing extreme short form video content rather than news articles, old fashioned tv news coverage etc.

Getting back to the topic: I would love if Steve was one day able to share the figures for the techspot articles he writes. They are word for word the same as YouTube.....but im guessing nowhere near as profitable. Is it just the lack of views, inability to monetise written articles or both? Ian cutress and the bald guy whose name I forget (they also have a woman and a bearded guy) were talking about some of this during a recent interview that was pretty interesting.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I think it depends on how you define millennial, but I was born in the late 1980s. So not sure. I just can't get past some of the expressions on these guy's faces sometimes in the thumbnail, and the terrible clickbait titles, so I don't bother to watch. Maybe I am just grumpy these days :p

I'm a Xennial and the grumpiness is normal, the thumbnails & clickbait titles is how they trigger us mid range folks to be grumpy. I just smack them with a downvote if I dislike it, post a comment if they need correcting/informing and move on. AT has moved on to being another run of the mill read it & forget it (or see headline & go meh) kinda site but with a interesting forum...

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
... I'm an old-timer here and have a soft spot for the pioneers still around like Anandtech and tomshardware; when I saw the aggregate list of sites with reviews I noticed Anandtech was missing. I thought this can't possibly be, my last impression of AT was that it was going on strong even after the founder's departure. Sure enough, there's no review, and a still flourishing forum with nobody else stating the obvious?
Bolded seems questionable. You created an account yesterday to post this thread. It might not be your original account, but you obviously are not a regular visitor.

Also, this topic has INDEED been discussed previously...probably numerous threads on it (site is dying, front page is bare, reviews lacking, only forums still active, etc.)
Anand sold Anandech to Purch back in 2014, which was resold to Future in 2018.

My guess is you haven't visited too many times since then. ;)
Eight years is a long time to notice changes...and start suddenly knee-jerking over it.

Fadey

Oct 8, 2005
I havent posted in a long time but been a long time lurker. It saddens me greatly to see what's happened to anandtech over the years. It was always my go to site for reviews, as mentioned by others I deeply miss the deep devices and the inner workings of newer tech. Stuff like frame pacing when using crossfire is one that comes to mind that just wasnt done elsewhere.

*Edit* ha I just saw my signature that build takes me back! running a 5800x and a evga 3080 now..

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Well, Mr. Anand done quite well for himself actually, and long moved on to greener pastures. It's never been the same after he transferred Anandtech to another party.

adamge

Aug 15, 2022
Raptor Lake review out on time. Guess reviews depend on the staff available to do them. Consistency apparently not part of the AT plan.

I don't like how misleading the Anandtech review is regarding power usage. To me this is the elephant in the room - the third dimension that must be taken into account.
The author spends part of the review mentioning how "TDP" spec is useless, and then proceeds to list that same "TDP" spec inside every chart, which gives most readers the impression that the AMD chips are the inefficient ones, when the opposite might be true.

Example of my complaint with highlights:
1666302769077.png

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I agree, we must be from the same generation? Seems the millennials & Gen Y learn by watching moving pictures instead of taking the time to read AND comprehend walls of text & graphs. Does this reflect on the "progressiveness" of the education system from the last few decades already?

no. it has nothing to do with "being progressive," whatever you think that means and whatever disconnected faults you perceive and you want to attach to it.

It has to do with the younger generation growing up in....a different generation than you and I. exposed to different technology and different ways of generating and receiving information at much younger ages; which you and I and all the other oldies never grew up with.

It's like this for every generation of humans, ever. Things change. You and I complain, and yet the kids don't care because it will be their world, and then they will go on to complain about the generations after them, and so on and so on. But we just keep yelling at the clouds, I guess? :D

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Youtube brings in the money, and some of the reviewers do a very thorough job.
Video space has by and large replaced word space. Unfortunately AT didn't pick up that trend.

Disagree. Give me a detailed run down in words any day. Unfortunately the money isn't as good as way less informative Youtube videos these days. WHat YT video has done a true "deep dive"? None that can compare to some older Anandtech articles.

Reactions: Pohemi

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Video reviews have their place just as written ones do. Regardless of what we individually prefer the world will move on. I also prefer a well-written review. I can read it at my own pace. Digest and ponder. Reread sections before moving ahead. It's a more personal experience between reader and author since it takes more effort from the reader than simply watching.

In my opinion this always has been and is still the best hardware review site on the internet.

Reactions: IntelUser2000

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Anandtech would have to send someone to buy it and wait in line! Usually the gpu is hot stuff, meaning long time in line! Might be sold out!o_O:mad:

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Disagree. Give me a detailed run down in words any day. Unfortunately the money isn't as good as way less informative Youtube videos these days. WHat YT video has done a true "deep dive"? None that can compare to some older Anandtech articles.
Yep. YT videos suck for hardware reviews. A lot of data in charts, benchmarks are better presented on web pages that allow you to see any data you want at a glance.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I also prefer a well-written review. I can read it at my own pace. Digest and ponder. Reread sections before moving ahead. It's a more personal experience between reader and author since it takes more effort from the reader than simply watching.

This is not just a "generation change" as @zinfamous says. With Smartphone we entered a trend of oversimplification, and we need to claw that back.

Our senses are incredibly amazing and sensitive. Automating and simplifying everything causes us to become dull. Some people fervently believe in "AI" replacing all jobs? The way they are dumbing down and dulling everything down, yea we're well on the way.

Computers are 10x or more powerful than compared to early 2000's and websites are hundreds of times larger, yet "simplification" with hamburger menus taking extra click to access the same portions of the site when previous you could have seen all you needed in one page? With written articles I can skim and pinpoint exactly what I need extremely quickly. With videos it takes me 5-10x longer, because I have to listen to the parts I don't need/want.

Oversimplification, and with nearly everyone having devices that can be tracked and hacked, is also a recipe for disaster and authoritarian government wet-dream that makes the dystopian futures shown in fiction like 1984 and disaster movies like child-play in kindergarten. And it is coming, because with "covid lockdown" they demonstrated that capability amply.

This is why I've been focusing on learning the fundamentals for example. I like what we have achieved, and love to keep some of them. Also knowledge is a weapon against manipulation.

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Agreed, and it seems to becoming worse. Not to mention all the products they pimp.

I agree with this on face value, but in comparison with AnandTech I can't say I agree. Go to the home page. Maybe like 20% tops is actual content? There's banner adverts on the top, bottom, both sides, AND inside the content panel. AT is absolutely loaded with ads, almost none of which are actually bespoke or curated. Tehy're just ad engined into the page for all kinds of nonsense junk.

Reactions: Tlh97 and adamge

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
It takes a lot of time to review a GPU, and they've chosen to prioritize their limited bandwidth on other things:
This is total BS. Tons of other sites have in depth reviews. The fact is the main website is in the gutter. They’ve lost most of their writing talent, the guys that wrote those good reviews are long gone. So now it’s server power supplies and ram reviews.. how exciting.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Have you not watched Steve at gamers nexus?