Is an i7-2600k just as good as any of intel's newer CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hory mory

Jan 27, 2018
xLhPdT7.jpg

So a 2600k beats a 7700k. My question is, what is it with all these new names like Skylake, Ivy Bridge, and Kaby Lake when they're all exactly the same as a sandy bridge CPU?

Third time is not a charm. Stop with the troll threads.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Hory mory

Jan 27, 2018
That's one chart for one game. A title like Battlefield 1 or GTA V is a different story:

91858.png
Again here's the article, I'm just repeating what was said:
www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/intel-kaby-lake-7th-gen-7700-7600-7350/

Also a quote:
In page after page of benchmarks (I read 'em so you don't have to) at reputable PC component benchmarking sites like AnandTech, PC Perspective and Tom's Hardware, each site comes to the same conclusion: the new chips only seem faster because Intel sets the clock speed (GHz) a little bit higher before they leave the factory. But if you overclock last year's Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K to that same speed, they perform identically -- sometimes even a hair better.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Again here's the article, I'm just repeating what was said:

Also a quote:

The writer is acknowledging those sites' expertise without giving full context of their testing. If you or he are going to cite AnandTech, why not go look at their latest tests across a wider range of hardware, especially before selecting one chart where the GPU is clearly the bottleneck, and the game isn't fully utilizing a higher threaded processor to the fullest extent.

Nothing against the writer, but it's a fairly useless article.

Hory mory

Jan 27, 2018
The writer is acknowledging those sites' expertise without giving full context of their testing. If you or he are going to cite AnandTech, why not go look at their latest tests across a wider range of hardware.
People keep saying the IPC increases with every new generation. If you overclock an old gen cpu to the same speed as a new gen one will it still be slower?

And isn't it true newer CPUs have far less headroom for overclocking, proving they already come out of the factory aggressively clocked to give the illusion they're faster than older generations (as the writer claims)?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
People keep saying the IPC increases with every new generation. If you overclock an old gen cpu to the same speed as a new gen one will it still be slower?

Yes, and there are numerous threads on this, not going to bother pulling up all the benches showing even OCed Sandy Bridge CPUs are starting to show their age.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Um no.

Here is the article:

Also the image is from Anandtech. I'm pretty sure removing the GPU bottleneck doesn't slip their minds when comparing CPUs.

that's a GPU bottleneck (could also be a FPS cap, but I think that's not the case), or do you think all of those vastly different CPUs performance the same? ...

look at this more CPU bound game
https://techreport.com/review/31410/a-bridge-too-far-migrating-from-sandy-to-kaby-lake/2

2600K OC 4.2GHz = 31FPS
7700K OC 4.8GHz = 54FPS

that's way beyond the clock difference

6700K and 7700K have the same IPC, but anything older is lower IPC.

games might not show any difference because of GPU limitations on the testing being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.