Is America "The greatest country on earth?"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: Vic
As for myself, I think that the US is the greatest nation in the world. Because of its free people. And for no other reason.
what he said.
If thats all that makes us great then we share that distinction with a lot of other countries like our neighbors up north for example

Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
As for myself, I think that the US is the greatest nation in the world. Because of its free people. And for no other reason.
what he said.
If thats all that makes us great then we share that distinction with a lot of other countries like our neighbors up north for example

I agree. Think someone is living under a rock if they think America is the only free country in the world.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: soulcougher73
what he said.

I agree. Think someone is living under a rock if they think America is the only free country in the world.

:confused:

Who said that America is the only free country in the world?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
Originally posted by: Martin
Here's a hint for those of you that don't get out much: everybody thinks their corner of the world is the best one.

:thumbsup:
Come on, even you must admit that Pakistan is a shithole.

But Pakistanis think Pakistan is the shit.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Most of Western Europe is ahead of the USA by most metrics. I haven't seen any explanation of why we're better than them, and I feel insulted when a politician tells me we are the greatest nation on earth.

High unemployment, xenophobia, hard work is futile, yea western europe is great.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Martin
Here's a hint for those of you that don't get out much: everybody thinks their corner of the world is the best one.

:thumbsup:
Come on, even you must admit that Pakistan is a shithole.

Ever come out of your mom's basement?
Oh so you're upset that your impoverished country on the brink of wholesale chaos is considered a shithole. Too bad.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: jonks

For the record, I sure as hell ain't moving anywhere else :)

What makes you think we'd want your ilk in Canada?:p

And yes, the US is the greatest at one thing at least.

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for 6 days. Eventually Michael the Archangel found him, resting on the 7th day.

He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards, through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I?ve made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It?s a planet," replied God, "and I?ve put LIFE on it. I?m going to call it EARTH and it?s going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to the different parts of EARTH, "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor. Over there, I?ve placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people." God continued, pointing to different countries, "This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God?s work, then pointed to a large landmass in the top corner and asked, "What?s that one?"

"Ah," said God, "That?s Canada, the most glorious place on EARTH. There?s beautiful mountains, lakes, rivers, streams and an exquisite coast-line. The people from Canada are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they?re going to be found traveling the world. They?ll be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, "What about balance, God? You said there will be balance?"

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the loud-mouth bastards I?m putting next to them."

;)

Nov 29, 2006
what he said.

So by free people you do not mean a free country? They kind of go hand in hand one would think.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
How about considering the United States the greatest piece of land on earth? Imagine the world with no inhabitants but divided up into geographical areas. If a group of colonists from another galaxy were invited to come here and choose any country to be their own, the United States would be the best choice. Natural resources and climate would be important, but location, location, location would be the determining factor.

The world wants America, they really don't want the citizens.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Originally posted by: jonks

For the record, I sure as hell ain't moving anywhere else :)

What makes you think we'd want your ilk in Canada?:p

And yes, the US is the greatest at one thing at least.

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for 6 days. Eventually Michael the Archangel found him, resting on the 7th day.

He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards, through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I?ve made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It?s a planet," replied God, "and I?ve put LIFE on it. I?m going to call it EARTH and it?s going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to the different parts of EARTH, "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor. Over there, I?ve placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people." God continued, pointing to different countries, "This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God?s work, then pointed to a large landmass in the top corner and asked, "What?s that one?"

"Ah," said God, "That?s Canada, the most glorious place on EARTH. There?s beautiful mountains, lakes, rivers, streams and an exquisite coast-line. The people from Canada are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they?re going to be found traveling the world. They?ll be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, "What about balance, God? You said there will be balance?"

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the loud-mouth bastards I?m putting next to them."

;)

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

I mean, hehehehehehehehehehe

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Most politicians in major nations say they're the greatest country in the world when an election comes around.

Originally posted by: andy04
Entire world envies us

LOL, kid, I think you'll find that to be untrue in due course :laugh:

Originally posted by: Atreus21
The free world is modeled on our dogma, that all men are created in equality. The economies of prosperous nations have been modeled on ours.

Actually your constitution and legal system are modelled almost entirely on the British.

We have fought in the name of stopping villains and liberating the oppressed in WWI and WWII.

As did many others. And BTW you only joined in WWII when we had already been fighiting it for over two years.

Our technological innovation (cars, electricity, computers, nuclear power) have been of immeasurable value to the world community.

Out of those, only nuclear power was invented in America. Cars are German, computers British, and electricity Italian. Why would you even say that if you don't know? :roll:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Most of Western Europe is ahead of the USA by most metrics. I haven't seen any explanation of why we're better than them, and I feel insulted when a politician tells me we are the greatest nation on earth.

High unemployment, xenophobia, hard work is futile, yea United States is great.

FIXED, DAMN IT!!!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
what he said.

So by free people you do not mean a free country? They kind of go hand in hand one would think.

Are you retarded or something? This isn't a black and white.

There are many free countries in this word. The US just happens to be the biggest and greatest of them. Don't believe it? Show me another another free country of the same size and scope and prosperity. Show me another free country that is literally a nation of nations (the US is as if all of Europe were one country). Show me another free country with a Constitution and Bill of Rights that is both older and more sweeping in its guarantees of rights and freedoms than the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Zedtom
How about considering the United States the greatest piece of land on earth? Imagine the world with no inhabitants but divided up into geographical areas. If a group of colonists from another galaxy were invited to come here and choose any country to be their own, the United States would be the best choice. Natural resources and climate would be important, but location, location, location would be the determining factor.

No doubt it's some of the best real estate on the planet too. Rich in resources, more arable land than any other country, and an excellent strategic location.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
it's just like the so called baseball World Series and the NBA World champion
it's simply not true

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks
it's simply not true

Uh... we did just take the basketball gold in Beijing, and the Japanese got nothing on us at baseball.

edit: and we actually invented both of those sports damnit.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks
it's simply not true

Uh... we did just take the basketball gold in Beijing, and the Japanese got nothing on us at baseball.

edit: and we actually invented both of those sports damnit.

that's not my point

someone has to explain me how the winner of a North American basketball competition can be crowned World Champion :confused:

Typical flagwaving crap, nothing new

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Anyone without a passport with some stamps in it shouldn't even be allowed to comment.. and this is why.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSlamma

Anyone without a passport with some stamps in it shouldn't even be allowed to comment.. and this is why.

From someone who has filled one passport and is on his second, I agree.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There's an interesting book on the topic of what the 'greatest' nation means.

The book is called 'Superpatriotism', by Michael Parenti.

You can read part of it for free online here.

Check pages 22-24 for the direct topic, where he asks if greatest is population, land size, culture, food, and so on.