Is America "The greatest country on earth?"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Our constitution is the greatest; our nation is only great when it adheres to it.

Being the modern superpower might also have something to do with it, our strength has no equal. Still, we seem to be falling from that position rapidly. What comes up must come down.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: freegeeks
it's just like the so called baseball World Series and the NBA World champion
it's simply not true

Uh... we did just take the basketball gold in Beijing, and the Japanese got nothing on us at baseball.

edit: and we actually invented both of those sports damnit.

that's not my point

someone has to explain me how the winner of a North American basketball competition can be crowned World Champion :confused:

Typical flagwaving crap, nothing new

While in some ways I see your point, your examples probably aren't that great.

The US undoubtedly fields the best basketball teams in the world. If I remember correctly we have lost exactly one international basketball competition since we started using our best players in them. So, when someone wins the NBA title, it's a pretty safe bet they are the best in the world.

Baseball is a bit more debatable, but really it is fairly likely that the winner of the World Series is the best team in the world.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
One of the reasons America is the greatest:
America is the greatest because I can coexist with all the People in P and N with our diverse opinions, many times 180 degrees in opposition to my own, and feel no need to blow them up.;)

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: daniel49
One of the reasons America is the greatest:
America is the greatest because I can coexist with all the People in P and N with our diverse opinions, many times 180 degrees in opposition to my own, and feel no need to blow them up.;)
Well, we on ATPN are buffered by the vastness of cyberspace. We couldn't blow each other up even if we wanted to.

But your general point is excellent: Maintaining liberty in the face of the greatest diversity on the planet is an achievement unique to the United States. That's certainly an indication of greatness.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: shira
Does that mean that one should always strive to live in the greatest country (and if so, what's the implication of that for illegal immigrants to the U.S.)?

Would you move to the best country if American weren't it?

America was looked up to by the world for it's Constitution, Freedom and Prosperity.

All three are going by way of do-do bird.

Immigration is slowing down and emigration will rise.

People that have the money and can leave will, those without, well they are stuck.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Does that mean that one should always strive to live in the greatest country (and if so, what's the implication of that for illegal immigrants to the U.S.)?

America was looked up to by the world for it's Constitution, Freedom and Prosperity.

People that have the money and can leave will, those without, well they are stuck.

I wont even address your bullshit, but lets take one for example.

As of 2006 immigration is at its highest EVER. Once again you have no idea what youre talking about.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Candidates on both left and right seem obligated to pronounce American "the greatest country on earth," as if it's unpatriotic to think otherwise. I think people use that phrase without really considering what they're saying. If you think America is "the greatest," how come?

Have you done some sort of comparative analysis, grading each of the major democracies of the world based on a number of criteria, and America scores highest? If so, what criteria did you use and how did you assign grades? What were the other high-scoring countries?

But I'm being disingenuous: I know darn well that almost no one has done that sort of analysis. Most people label America "the greatest" because it takes little effort to say so and because saying it feels good (or maybe because it makes others think we're patriotic).

Let me turn this around: Would it be unacceptable if America were actually NOT "the greatest based on some impartial, well respected analysis?" Would you move to the best country if American weren't it? Does that mean that one should always strive to live in the greatest country (and if so, what's the implication of that for illegal immigrants to the U.S.)?

Unless you have been fortunate enough to travel and spend a fair amount of time in other parts of the world, you shouldn't even open your mouth on this one. I have been fortunate enough to travel much of the world and can tell you that the US is far down the list of "greatest" countries. Australia is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. Denmark and Sweden are also fantastic countries. IMHO - the best place to live is Canada - clean, free, tolerant, safe and stable economically. However, I realize that some people may consider "greatest" to mean most powerful, and there is little argument that if this is your main criteria, the US would be the "greatest".

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Napalm
Candidates on both left and right seem obligated to pronounce American "the greatest country on earth," as if it's unpatriotic to think otherwise. I think people use that phrase without really considering what they're saying. If you think America is "the greatest," how come?

Have you done some sort of comparative analysis, grading each of the major democracies of the world based on a number of criteria, and America scores highest? If so, what criteria did you use and how did you assign grades? What were the other high-scoring countries?

But I'm being disingenuous: I know darn well that almost no one has done that sort of analysis. Most people label America "the greatest" because it takes little effort to say so and because saying it feels good (or maybe because it makes others think we're patriotic).

Let me turn this around: Would it be unacceptable if America were actually NOT "the greatest based on some impartial, well respected analysis?" Would you move to the best country if American weren't it? Does that mean that one should always strive to live in the greatest country (and if so, what's the implication of that for illegal immigrants to the U.S.)?

Unless you have been fortunate enough to travel and spend a fair amount of time in other parts of the world, you shouldn't even open your mouth on this one. I have been fortunate enough to travel much of the world and can tell you that the US is far down the list of "greatest" countries. Australia is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. Denmark and Sweden are also fantastic countries. IMHO - the best place to live is Canada - clean, free, tolerant, safe and stable economically. However, I realize that some people may consider "greatest" to mean most powerful, and there is little argument that if this is your main criteria, the US would be the "greatest".

I guess its all perspective. I have been to every country you listed with exception to Denmark (replace it with Finland) and I would not want to live in any of them.

*shrug*

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I wont even address your bullshit, but lets take one for example.

As of 2006 immigration is at its highest EVER. Once again you have no idea what youre talking about.

Have to reach back to 2006 eh?

At least the people that contributed to the influx have a better handle on what is happening and a later date.

Of course the Bush administration won't post correct numbers but even the hispanics are saying the numbers are down:

8-27-2007 Is Mexican immigration growth slowing down?

Although the Mexican born population in the United States has increased over the last three years and continues to increase, the rate of growth seems to have slowed in the last few months. According to a May 2007 report by the Pew Hispanic Center, it is difficult to determine exact changes in immigration from Mexico to the United States.

It appears the percentage growth of south to north migration has been decreasing since mid 2006.

The researchers took into account four indicators in reaching their conclusion: the size of the Mexico born population of the United States; the number of Hispanic immigrants employed in the United States; Bank of Mexico remittance receipts; the number of apprehensions of individuals crossing the border illegally.