Is AMD expected to enable 4K netflix on edge browser?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Is AMD expected to enable 4K netflix on edge browser? Or are there some technical hurdles they can't overcome with the Polaris architecture?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I really don't expect AMD to have a working and certified solution for Netflix 4K, at least this year. (Maybe VEGA will surprise us with PlayReady 3.0 support?)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I really don't expect AMD to have a working and certified solution for Netflix 4K, at least this year. (Maybe VEGA will surprise us with PlayReady 3.0 support?)

That would be nice if Vega had it.

P.S. I did find this article back in 11/28/2016 (with a link to this German Article claiming back in June 2016 a person from AMD said Polaris should get PlayReady 3.0 support through a driver update).

Here is the Google translation from the last paragraph of that German article I linked:

In June, for example, AMD told c't that Polaris should support PlayReady 3.0 with a later driver.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Last edited:

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
There are multiple levels of PlayReady 3.0 support though, the highest requiring hardware support. I could never get an answer out of AMD of which PR3 level they supported in any of their hardware.

Reactions: cbn

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
There are multiple levels of PlayReady 3.0 support though, the highest requiring hardware support. I could never get an answer out of AMD of which PR3 level they supported in any of their hardware.

When did you ask this question?

Was it prior to April 2017?

I am crossing my fingers at least Polaris 12 (the last Polaris die released (April 2017)) has necessary Playready 3.0 support.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I emailed them as well when i purchased my RX480 last year and got a run around answer that i took to mean they are not going to make it happen. They basically said it was possible with future software updates but was not a priority for them at this time. So i took that to mean yeah we could do it but we arnt going to.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I just found out that AMD are no longer supporting de-interlacing GPU acceleration anymore either.... they've really become a poor 3rd in a market they used to dominate with their APUs (HTPC).

Reactions: dark zero

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
AMD should seize this moment where 4k Netflix on Nvidia is 3GB+ only. If they can make it possible for the RX 550 they could tag it "4k Netflix ready!" and actually give that card a selling point vs the 1030 beyond that one guy who needs DL DVI.

But then I read my first 5 words again and came back to reality.

Reactions: Malogeek

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
AMD should seize this moment where 4k Netflix on Nvidia is 3GB+ only. If they can make it possible for the RX 550 they could tag it "4k Netflix ready!" and actually give that card a selling point vs the 1030 beyond that one guy who needs DL DVI.

It could even be DDR4 and a cut down version of Polaris 12. (re: 384sp @ DDR4 2400 actually has a similar core to memory bandwidth ratio as RX 560).

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Its silly in this day and age that you have restrictions on HD content on certain devices being locked. It blows my mind that you can't stream amazon prime videos HD on computers in Chrome but only MS browsers. lol

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
Its silly in this day and age that you have restrictions on HD content on certain devices being locked. It blows my mind that you can't stream amazon prime videos HD on computers in Chrome but only MS browsers. lol
seriously? i don't use amazon video anyway since i can't download for offline use (hate streaming) but i tried lucifer in chrome and it worked. or would that be SD only in non-IE browsers?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
People wonder why users pirate even when they could legally use the platform. I never use Amazon prime and I have it.

The less barriers there are to streaming the more they'll get. Similar to the music industry make it easy enough to get and people will be too lazy to pirate it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
People wonder why users pirate even when they could legally use the platform. I never use Amazon prime and I have it.

The less barriers there are to streaming the more they'll get. Similar to the music industry make it easy enough to get and people will be too lazy to pirate it.

exactly why i love spotify, i dont understand why you would pirate music since spotify is so easy and user friendly and for less than $10 a month i can listen to all the music i want. And if going somewhere with no service you can download your playlists to your phone ahead of time.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015

Actually AMD resigned from the GPU race... Raja did an awful job and is likely to be fired.... I guess that their GPU tech will be given a licence to Samsung or Qualcomm (due Adreno) due their intromission to the Laptop market.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Actually AMD resigned from the GPU race... Raja did an awful job and is likely to be fired.... I guess that their GPU tech will be given a licence to Samsung or Qualcomm (due Adreno) due their intromission to the Laptop market.

Source?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
No trolling allowed.

AT Moderator ElFenix