Is AMD commiting Corporate suicide?

thestain

May 5, 2006
Bye Bye AMD? Why buy from this or any other company who has sold out its customers?

My take is AMD is going to sell us a crippled product that we have NO end say rights over, but that will give last say rights to just about anyone else besides us the buyers of the pc. AMD should relabel pcs with this new GPU inside as "OC's".. Others Computers.

Summary of recent article is that DAAMIT has told us recently that the new
GPU we have been waiting for, these" new chips will ?block unauthorized access to the frame buffer.? In short, that means an unauthorized party can?t save the contents of the display to a file on disk unless the content owner approves it.

There is a short list of parties who will be unauthorized to access your frame buffer: You. There is a long list of parties who are authorized to access your frame buffer, and that list includes Microsoft, Apple, AMD, Intel, ATI, NVidia, Sony Pictures, Paramount, HBO, CBS, Macrovision, and all other content owners and enablers that want your machine to themselves whenever you?re watching, listening to, reading, or shooting monsters with their products."

What is so bad about citizens being able to "own" a pc?

Why should we reward any company or buy from them when they are so intent in making the pc, their pc?

I have been supporting and buying AMD products for years.. Intel is just as bad, but I don't know why anyone would want to buy this crap for anything but an off line gaming system ... and ... by selling out to big brother and big trusted computing cartel.. amd could be commiting corporate suicide.. and if so.. bye bye amd... you deserve to die!!

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
Don't all HDCP video cards have this option?

The law is funny with respect to copywrite. It's legal for companies to make it difficult for you to pirate their deal. But it is also legal for companies to make it possible for you to copy that copywrited material. The question is when do these companies cross the line "protecting" their product. Sony crossed it with their BS trojan on their cds; and this seems like companies crossed that line again.

Denying a $500+ video card from displaying data is absolute BS in my opinion.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
im pretty sure like everything else, only about 5% of the population even cares or understands this even a little.

i mean if the patriot act passed, do you think people (who are mostly not even technical enough to understand what a frame buffer is) will care? amd is not committing suicide here. they are doing it in many other places.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
You know this feature will also be in Nvidia cards. Also Intel has to comply too and they will have it too on their DX10 integrated GPU.

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
this thread is taken so far out of porportation its not even funny. the "unauthorised access" will probably only activate when you have a HDCP protected movie playing or some or copy protection.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Replace "AMD" with X(Pc parts Manufacturer) and you'll be closer to the truth.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
You could buy many movies and other media with the extra 500 dollars, thestain.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
...seriously, this is just the Vista Protected Media Path stuff. It only affects content where the content owner decides they don't want you to be able to save/copy it. Your real complaint here is with the content owners. I guess you can argue that MS et al. shouldn't "cave" and build DRM support into their systems, but then you just wouldn't be able to watch the protected content at all, and then it encourages third-party DRM that is usually flaky and even worse (like the Sony rootkit debacle).

The amount of FUD that comes up with this stuff is unreal.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
One immediate example came to mind when I read this. FRAPS. It might not impact non-HDCP games since this blurb seems to target HDCP content, but FRAPS is one of those great programs that directly accesses the frame buffer for screenshots and game recordings.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yes fraps comes to mind however if you read the OPs blurb, the content owner can approve access to the frame buffer. In this case the content owner is you, so I would imagine you will be granting access to yourself ;)

thestain

May 5, 2006
Question.. I would buy if someone could find hack to take control back.

Any chance of hack to return control to us? Where we can decide who gets authority over the gpu in our machines and have authority ourselves??

Still, with all the competition coming from Intel and nVidia, AMD's timing to come clean, just like Adobes and others on the side of the bigs guys and against consumers is going to generate some negative press and could be the straw that sends it down for the count, couldn't it? or as some have posted... no one cares... nothing we can do... just deal with it??

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Yes fraps comes to mind however if you read the OPs blurb, the content owner can approve access to the frame buffer. In this case the content owner is you, so I would imagine you will be granting access to yourself ;)

Hmmm the OP blurb seems to directly state the PC owner will have no control over access to the frame buffer. Also, I'm pretty sure you're not the content owner for movies or games (even though there's no HDCP games out that I know of), you're just purchasing a single-user license of the product and ownership stays with the company. That would leave a 3rd party program like FRAPS out in the cold.

Edit: And ya, not sure why this thread title is singling out AMD.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: thestain

Any chance of hack to return control to us? Where we can decide who gets authority over the gpu in our machines and have authority ourselves??

Still, with all the competition coming from Intel and nVidia, AMD's timing to come clean, just like Adobes and others on the side of the bigs guys and against consumers is going to generate some negative press and could be the straw that sends it down for the count, couldn't it? or as some have posted... no one cares... nothing we can do... just deal with it??

This really has little to do with AMD per se. Either they support Vista's protected video path properly, or you won't be able to play anything that requires HDCP on their video cards. Every video card that properly supports HDCP will work like this in Vista. However, it only affects applications that specifically use the protected video path (or the protected audio path for audio). FRAPS will work fine for recording your games... but not for frame-grabbing an HDCP-protected HD movie.

If you feel strongly about the issue, I urge you to let the content owners (such as Sony) know how you feel, and boycott products that you feel have excessive DRM (which would probably include pretty much all commercial DVDs that use CSS, just FYI). Stealing the content or buying it and hacking around the DRM just convinces the content owners that it is the right thing to do and they need to come up with more secure DRM next time.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Originally posted by: thestain

This really has little to do with AMD per se. Either they support Vista's protected video path properly, or you won't be able to play anything that requires HDCP on their video cards. Every video card that properly supports HDCP will work like this in Vista. However, it only affects applications that specifically use the protected video path (or the protected audio path for audio). FRAPS will work fine for recording your games... but not for frame-grabbing an HDCP-protected HD movie.

If you feel strongly about the issue, I urge you to let the content owners (such as Sony) know how you feel, and boycott products that you feel have excessive DRM (which would probably include pretty much all commercial DVDs that use CSS, just FYI). Stealing the content or buying it and hacking around the DRM just convinces the content owners that it is the right thing to do and they need to come up with more secure DRM next time.

/thread

thestain

May 5, 2006
Contrar...

It is a real issue.. but since we no longer live in a "free" society, perhaps we should abdicate any power our voice we have left and just accept and get used to having our "big brother" shepherds take control of our pcs.

In regards to only protect path logic.. who says a pc should be used for hdcp content anyway? I don't want to use mine for this. Why should all pcs be so closed down and controlled?

And.. while hacks might upset the folks in the Corporate Kingdoms, us serfs should be able to find out how to get authority over any aspect we own and.. to be able to deny such authority to anyone who tries to usurp ownership control like Microsoft and its gang of corporate thieves are successfully now doing.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
eventually linux is gonna run into this and it will get interesting

you still can get a Mac OS

or linux

that's pretty 'free'

Mac... haha...

I can't believe that company is still in business. $3000 for a crap computer.

thestain

May 5, 2006
Can you really get hardware acceleration when nVidia and Ati provide so little support for it outside of the Microsoft world?

Even Omega kisses Microsofts butt, by developing drivers for Ati or nVidia for Vista before he would try to do likewise for Ati, even with the new CCC coming linux's way.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Matt2
Originally posted by: apoppin
eventually linux is gonna run into this and it will get interesting

you still can get a Mac OS

or linux

that's pretty 'free'

Mac... haha...

I can't believe that company is still in business. $3000 for a crap computer.

...wow.