Is a smell normal after getting your wisdom teeth out?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed today - all had to be cut apart in the gums. The whole time they were doing it, I could smell the tooth matter burning (?) from the drill and other equipment.

I'm having a really hard time rinsing my mouth out, because I fell asleep right after the procedure and some of the blood and gunk dried up over my teeth - I tried brushing my tongue, and as many teeth as I could - but the smell is still there, and my breath is fscking kickin'. Is this normal?

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Also if you are in doubt, call the surgeon's office, they are there to give you post-op care over the phone when you need it.

D

Deleted member 4644

Could be a bacterial infection... but if you don't have a sore throat or pain .. maybe its ok? I have no idea...

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Sabot
Also if you are in doubt, call the surgeon's office, they are there to give you post-op care over the phone when you need it.

I plan on on resting as much as possible - I took today, tomorrow, and half of the next day off just in case (I've never had and kind of surgical procedure done, so i figured I'd milk it - haha).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There was a noticeable one for a day or two in my case.

btw, to anyone who is getting their wisdom teeth out: always opt for the general anesthesia

Jan 31, 2002
It'll stink like hell, especially if you don't keep your mouth and those holes clean.

Use a very diluted mouthwash solution - the doctor should have provided you with a hooked syringe as well - and flush them regularily.

- M4H

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Platypus
Happened to me too, it goes away.

Cool - I'm not too worried about it - it's just hard to have a conversation with someone when my breath makes them and I want to vomit - lol

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: K1052
There was a noticeable one for a day or two in my case.

btw, to anyone who is getting their wisdom teeth out: always opt for the general anesthesia

I had an intravenous injection, and they numbed up my gums with a few injections - I think I was awake during the procedure, but I could tell there were times I was in and out. I remember them extracting bits from all 4 teeth, so I know I wasn't out totally.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
I believe that is quite normal. You see, a great deal of food particles were most likely lodged between your teeth and gums and, well, rotted.
After a good thorough brushing and rinsing, the smell should go away. If it really annoys you, try gargling with Listerine (the real stuff, not the pansy flavored junk!)

I have always been a heavy smoker, whenever I had a tooth pulled a few years back, the stale smoke odor , along with the rotten food odor, was quite strong. I even get the stale smoke odor during my semi-annual teeth cleaning.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You were conscious? Fvck that sh1t, they knocked me out with a general otherwise the tools of death would have been shoved where the sun doesn't shine...

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Yeah. I had mine yanked a few months ago. It's normal for a day or two. If more, give your doc. a call.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Use peroxide.
no, he shouldn't rinse with anything just yet. could loosen the blood clot and he'll get a dry socket.

Yeah - they told me not to do any thorough cleaning until tomorrow, and even then, I need to avoid the teeth next to the surgical site. Salt water rinse is all they told me to do. Dry socket is something I do not want to get. My father worked with a woman, who was a hardcore smoker, and she got dry socket in 3 of the 4 areas because she didn't listen to the doctor - stupid.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i had mine taken out several years ago but they weren't impacted. can't remember if there was a smell or not.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Platypus
Only use saltwater.. it's the worst taste ever too.

That's what I was advised to do. It's very much "That's nasty" but has to be better than the alternative.

/me shudders