Is a MBA worth the time and money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: koloastreet
your one of those hidden jewels. its like some of the software engineers who i work with who went to some small unknown college in the boonies, yet end up out smarting all the senior level folks.

Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: koloastreet
from all the managers ive spoken to in the defense industry, MBA matter only if its in finance and from one of the top 10 schools.

I don't have one from a top 10 school (Not even top 30), I have 4 years of experience, and I work in treasury at a fortune 100 company right next to Duke MBAs. Although mine was in finance. MBAs get you noticed, your brains get you fed.

Well, I happen to know a lot of "hidden jewels".

My boss at my old job worked as an English teacher in Japan for 5 years. Came back here, worked as a tour guide at the theme parks in Orlando for Japanese people. Went and got his MBA at Rollins College, started work at a fortune 500 company as a Sr. Analyst, within 3 years he was a Director and then switched companies to become a VP two years after.

If you can prove yourself you can make a decent living off of any MBA from an AACSB accredited school, it helps to at least see the school in the Businessweek rankings also, even if it isn't top 20.

MBAs are worth it to people who like to learn and will likely grow as a result. If you don't get one from a top10 school you won't be working in an INvestment Bank, nor will you be CEO of a large company, but you will probably get a decent slot as an middle-upper manager before you retire making decent bucks.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I would like to hear from engineers with their MBA, did it help? I have seen a few people in this thread comment that an MBA even lower ranked is good if applied with a technology degree but none of them said if they actually had that combo. Thoughts?

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001
Originally posted by: chusteczka
Is a MBA worth the time and money?
Not if the basics have yet to be mastered.

I thought the rule was "a" before a consonant, "an" before a vowel.

"M" is a consonant... Or is there some rule I don't remember?

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Short answer, yes.

Long one, yes, if you want an easier time moving up in the corporate business world.

/thread

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
IT depends.

An MBA will most likely get you more noticed for a job than say, a B.S. BUT, often times, depending on what you are applying for, companies will try and get away with as little as possible...i.e. you'll want more $$$ for that MBA. It's a double edged sword.

If you are looking into a career in which an MBA would help, then yes, go for it. I only hava B.S. myself, and even for jobs that reccommend a B.S. I'll get passed over for people without a degree (they can pay them less, even if I have more experience).

An MBA from a top school is always better than an MBA from a lesser school, but having an MBA isn't always a sure-fire deal into a better career. Work is 1 part education 2 parts skill, and 3 parts hard work.

There are MANY people without MBA's who succeed because they are smart, capable, and excellent communicators. The trick to moving up in the world is performing well and making certain other people notice it. An MBA is a precise tool.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
MBA Central group on openBC

goal is to make this group one of the best destinations for four
groups of people:

1) Alumni of a MBA program anywhere in the world
2) Current students at a MBA program
3) Professionals who are thinking about applying to a MBA program
4) Executive recruiters and other professionals interested in
networking with MBA alumni and students

By joining the MBA Central group, you have access to these forums, in
addition to being able to network with other like minded professionals:

1) MBA Jobs - Job listings where MBA degree is preferred or required.
2) MBA Job Search - Advice about the job search process.
3) MBA Career Development - Advice about career development and job
advancement.
4) MBA Alumni Networking - Advice about how to network more effectively.
5) MBA Admissions - Advice about how to get into a top MBA program.
6) MBA Students Central - Advice about which courses to take and what
extra-curricular activities to pursue.

Our goal is to post to the MBA Jobs forum several times a week, and to
all the other forums on at least a weekly basis.

We invite you to join us and share your thoughts and advice
these forums!