Is a i7 3540m Dual Core fast enough?

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
I've only bought two computers in my life, and am trying to decide if this configuration will fit my needs for 4-5 years. I just picked up a 15" laptop at the Dell Outlet with an I7 3540M, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GPU, FHD screen, and am having second thoughts about the dual core processor. Most of my use are Internet, word processing, iTunes, photo editing (PSE, not CS6). I have also done some video encoding/editing on my 2 1/2 year old work desktop (i5-2400 3.1 GHz, Intel integrated GPU, 10GB RAM) of 1/2 hour home movie clips from my Mini DV camcorder. I've maybe done 3 clips in the last 9 months, but my son is interested in stop action Lego and may do more.

I'm assuming the i7 3540M processor will be fine for most of the things I want to do, but didn't know just how slow it'd feel for the occasional video, compared to a 3740QM or even my i5 2400 desktop, for a majority of my other uses. I do plan on upgrading to an SSD in a year or so, and possibly getting a faster desktop at home if I can scrape up the money in a few months (I'm currently using a P4 2.00 GHz, 1GB RAM Micron), but trying to tell myself I don't need to return this for a i7 3740QM laptop for the near term. If I was doing a lot of video, the choice would be easy, but don't want to think I would hate doing any on this laptop.
Thanks!

Last edited:

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
it should be plenty fast. I have been using an i5 dual core laptop, doing pretty much most all of what you listed and it is more than fast enough for me

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
it should be plenty fast. I have been using an i5 dual core laptop, doing pretty much most all of what you listed and it is more than fast enough for me
Thanks JWade,
I take it general multitasking is good? Can you do much else when converting a video? Also do you have a dedicated GPU, or integrated?

Last edited:

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Thanks JWade,
I take it general multitasking is good? Can you do much else when converting a video? Also do you have a dedicated GPU, or integrated?

Some specific programs can be accellerated with the appropriate GPU type, so you might check that out.

Multitasking should be fine for any modern system doing just about anything. Even running a heavy game in the background still permits internet browsing and more in the foreground without impact; having a render going on in the background will be perfectly usable.

How often do you render, and how long do those renders typically take? Given that you don't lose anything while it's rendering (ie you can easily do stuff in the background, like mail and internet) what is that time really worth to you?

For most non-professional users, a CPU upgrade for faster infrequent rendering isn't worthwhile unless you get a manyfold increase and unless you have something else dependent on the CPU render.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
I have the integrated intel video gpu. usually when I convert videos I will start it, then do something else, and when I come back it is always finished.