Is a CPU temperature of 69 C going to damage the CPU?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Loosley, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Loosley

Loosley Member

Hi,

I have been running Prime95 on my Core i5 2500K to check stability, and the CPU temperature was up to 69 C for a few hours (due to sun coming in through a window). Is having the CPU up to 69 C going to damage the PC? This is the temperature measured in RealTemp.

System is not overclocked.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#1 Loosley, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - temperature damage Forum Date
    i7 4790K stock, weird temperature fluctuations CPUs and Overclocking Oct 1, 2016
    What temperatures do datacenter CPUs run at? CPUs and Overclocking Sep 28, 2016
    PC restarts frequently and CPU fan temperature changes CPUs and Overclocking Aug 4, 2016
    What temperatures can damage an e4400? CPUs and Overclocking May 11, 2007
    My Sempron temperature hit 80C. How to check for damage? CPUs and Overclocking Apr 11, 2006

3. khon

khon Golden Member

69C is well within the safe limits, so there is no need to worry, it will not damage your CPU at all.

4. Loosley

Loosley Member

Phew, good to know. Thanks!

5. RussianSensation

RussianSensation Elite Member

The CPU has automatic protection built in which will which result in the CPU downlocking its frequencies if the temperature threshold is reached. It's basically impossible to damage a modern processor from temperatures alone on stock voltages.

6. Sephire

Sephire Golden Member

No, but your power consumption is higher.

Whats you idle temp?

7. ensign_lee

ensign_lee Senior member

You were running prime95, which means your processor was working at 100%. 69 degrees, while not as good as lower temps (obv), shouldn't hurt ya.

8. Loosley

Loosley Member

It idles around 22-30 C, depending on how hot the room is. Currently it is running the exact same Prime95 test as before (I haven't actually stopped the test yet), but since the room is cooler the temperatures on the cores are 59-62 C.

9. Seero

Seero Golden Member

Depends on the heatsink, if it is stock, than it is actually good. There are no concern to both power and temp, it may however be a bit noisy, which you already know.

My PC at work runs on 43 idle 24/7, and probably will reach 70 easily with prime95. It never ever dies even though it does heavy computing at night. Actually, it isn't idle as the system is constantly computing with GPU, but the CPU is free.

If heatsink is mounted properly and you ain't overclocking, you don't need to worry about temp. When temp causes problem, your system will throttle (slow down) to protect damage, and shutdown automatically when temps gets too high, which you are no where near those temps atm. If you were able to run prime95 for several hours then your system is stable. The system won't get to whatever temp you see with several hours of prime95 even under heavy load, so there is nothing to worry about.

#8 Seero, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011