Is a CIS/CS major easier than others?

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
All of my friends are having a tough time in college with labs and insane amounts of homework.

Now, all of my CIS stuff has been pretty..well..basic. I have a required java class which is easy peasy (for anyone who's done a bit of programming before), and my required computer class is..well, I had to tell the teacher where the PSU was ;) It's not that she's dumb, it's just that the class is so basic, atleast to anyone who reads this forum.

The thing is, i don't know if my classes are easy because I already know quite a bit about my major, or if a CIS (i'm assuming CS is harder due to the math) degree is just..easier..than say, biology.

Anyone with insights?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
CIS is in no way comparable to the level of difficulty of CS. CIS/MIS/IT etc is relatively easy compared to CS.

CIS/MIS/IT is much more business/practical oriented, why CS concentrates heavily on theory with a lot of pretty advanced math.

mad0maxx

Feb 3, 2006
Ask your advisor at your school if your CIS degree is accredited or not? That will answer your question on why your courseload is way too easy or hard.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
My CS program only had one math classes that were different from CIS. The CS program got into more theoretical class near then end that was the main difference. Also most intro Programming Classes are easily for anyone with programming experience. The upper level ones that give very complex projects and care about algorithm efficiency are much harder.

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
I am majoring in MIS, which is pretty much same thing as CIS. I know one person majoring in CS, and he absolutley hates it. He says the math kills him.

What's weird at my school (University of Wisconsin Milwaukee), is that MIS is the only major in the business school that you need a 3.5 to get on the Dean's list. So I take it and hear that MIS is one of the harder majors in business, but if you already know computers, you might as well go for it.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: mad0maxx
Ask your advisor at your school if your CIS degree is accredited or not? That will answer your question on why your courseload is way too easy or hard.

It's accredited. They offer different specialties, and one of them is the theoretical math stuff, basically a CS degree. It just depends on what classes you choose to take. They offer marketing, medical, web design, etc.

The school is very good, it's a private school in MN called St. Scholastica. The CIS program is what made me go here actually, that and the scholarship.

I can understand that they need to give the kids that don't know anything a base for learning further stuff, but even then - I can't see how a programming class could be as hard as a chemistry class with a 3 hour lab 2-3 days a week.

Do I just have it easy because I'm doing CIS and not taking the math stuff? We only have to take one math class that's specially designed for CIS.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Auryg
I can understand that they need to give the kids that don't know anything a base for learning further stuff, but even then - I can't see how a programming class could be as hard as a chemistry class with a 3 hour lab 2-3 days a week.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Try taking any sort of advanced Algorithms class.

Why do people have to attend labs again? Because they don't have the proper equipment at home to follow the lab with. It's the only way to do it practically. But I do feel sorry for people with Labs. The pre-post lab write-ups are a bitch and very tedious.

With CS, you have all the software you need at your fingertips, not to mention computer labs at your disposable. All the work can be done independently at any time (for the most part).

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Auryg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Try taking any sort of advanced Algorithms class.

Why do people have to attend labs again? Because they don't have the proper equipment at home to follow the lab with. It's the only way to do it practically. But I do feel sorry for people with Labs. The pre-post lab write-ups are a bitch and very tedious.

With CS, you have all the software you need at your fingertips, not to mention computer labs at your disposable. All the work can be done independently at any time (for the most part).

Heh, no, I don't doubt it'll get hard.

But if chemistry/biology scales aswell, they should be even harder? Maybe i'm just totally off here? Haha.

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Yes, CIS is easier thean CS due to the math classes. Networking/Programming/DBA really don't need the heavy duty math.