Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
General Business management can be pretty much applied in any industry. My university offers a business minor and I think I can complete it along with my BSAE and still graduate on time (4 years). The question is, will it be worth it? I want to diversify my knowledge and not just end up another "engineer" in the architectural engineering/construction field. But will taking courses like Principles of Accounting, Marketing, etc really help me professional and personally (i.e. managing my own assets/liabilities)? Thanks

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Even if the degree is useless, the information isn't bad to know. I graduated with a BS in Comp Sci and a minor in business administration, some of the classes were useless (organizational behavior for instance), whereas business law, accounting, and econ were fairly interesting information. Might as well take those classes instead of general electives, ya know?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Yes, it will help you as long as you perform well in those classes. It will help you get a job and it will help you to be more than just an engineer.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
sure go for it xD I ended up starting that, but then dropped it in favor of another degree and another minor.

If anything, you get some "business logic" - something that often isn't taught in an engineering class --> but since engineering analysis is so much more difficult, business logic is easy as pie :D

All my Eng/ Comp Sci friends who are doing the Management/Business Minor here finds the classes ridiculously easy, and, on that rare occasion, interesting ;) Its a great GPA booster no matter how you cut it out :)

edit:

alhtough wheatmaster...a LOT of engineers (atleast from who i seem to know) do this minor - and i know its the most popular minor in this school for engineers to take...so you won't necessarily be unique but you'll be another class of "another engineer" that is just a step above theo thers )

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: magomago
sure go for it xD I ended up starting that, but then dropped it in favor of another degree and another minor.

If anything, you get some "business logic" - something that often isn't taught in an engineering class --> but since engineering analysis is so much more difficult, business logic is easy as pie :D

All my Eng/ Comp Sci friends who are doing the Management/Business Minor here finds the classes ridiculously easy, and, on that rare occasion, interesting ;) Its a great GPA booster no matter how you cut it out :)

edit:

alhtough wheatmaster...a LOT of engineers (atleast from who i seem to know) do this minor - and i know its the most popular minor in this school for engineers to take...so you won't necessarily be unique but you'll be another class of "another engineer" that is just a step above theo thers )

haha interesting. well the primary reason for me wanting to pursue these courses are for personal gain (i would like to learn to invest rather than just put some $ into a savings account and let inflation take over my gains on interest) along with some professional application.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
If you do it, I highly recommend taking at least one, if not more, business law courses. Really interesting stuff. I took two, one on contract law, the other on business organizations/liabilities. Good stuff.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Deeko
If you do it, I highly recommend taking at least one, if not more, business law courses. Really interesting stuff. I took two, one on contract law, the other on business organizations/liabilities. Good stuff.

do you actually apply it anywhere or just good general knowledge to have?

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: MrBond
It will help if you ever decide to get your MBA too.

Yeah I plan on pursuing for a MBA after a couple years of engineering experience along with getting my PE. I think the MBA/PE combo will be well worth it.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
It would look great for an engineer.

I was double major in management and marketing. The company I work for didn't give two craps that I double majored. I probably would've gotten in just with one major of either one.

You know that saying, ppl rarely work at places what they majored in college? That probably holds true in most cases.

As for you... if it's on the table, why not go for it and better your chances to stand out among other engineers? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
It would look great for an engineer.

I was double major in management and marketing. The company I work for didn't give two craps that I double majored. I probably would've gotten in just with one major of either one.

You know that saying, ppl rarely work at places what they majored in college? That probably holds true in most cases.

As for you... if it's on the table, why not go for it and better your chances to stand out among other engineers? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Well I decided to take a course this quarter and see how it goes. I don't necessarily need to get the minor but I know gaining some general knowledge about management will be forever useful. Thanks

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Wheatmaster

do you actually apply it anywhere or just good general knowledge to have?

I haven't really applied it to my job yet, but I've used it in the rest of my life. The liability knowledge alone is extremely helpful.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I agree completely and strongly recommend business law courses as well.

I've taken just a few basic ones, and it's amazing how many things you can get yourself out of or help others with something basic like a store owner causing trouble. It's worth every second to be in those classes, and they'll probably introduce you to a few landmark cases that will be VERY interesting.

I can't recommend taking some basic law classes enough, it's a great way to be very well rounded in that aspect of business. It's part of playing that business game, especially with small businesses, try and use it to your advantage.