Solved! Is a bit of CPU cooler sag bad?

Fleetwire

May 23, 2020
Hello, I recently decided to give my pre-built PC case a bit of an upgrade. I had a crappy off the shelf HP Pavilion 580-199ng that had such terrible airflow. I got myself a be quiet! Pure Base 500DX, a new CPU cooler, and transfered the parts I had in the pre-built (some of which were upgraded through the year) into the new case. Suffice to say, it has great airflow, everything is working fine and temperatures are better than ever before.

However, my CPU cooler (Thermaltake UX200) appears to be sagging very slightly downwards (by 2-3mm.) I checked the base plate to make sure it makes contact with the CPU and it does appear to be making contact perfectly. I am able to push the CPU cooler upwards by a little bit, but it makes no difference on the base plate. The motherboard does not flex when I push it up.

The cooler's mount is installed properly, with the pushpin screws in the appropriate slot for my socket (LGA1151). I checked if it's sturdy, I applied MX-4 paste on the CPU before installing the cooler, everything works fine and now my idle temps are between 28C-34C compared to my pre-builts 39-45C idle temps. Prime95 did not make the CPU go past 72C during regular and torture test (no throttling either), and it stays at a nice 65C while gaming.

I am however worried about this bit of sag that my cooler is having. I've been monitoring temps ever since I completed this build (19 may 2020) and everything seems to have improved, with the CPU receiving the most significant temp decreases, and as such I set my case fans to ramp up with PCIEX16 heat instead in the BIOS.

Here is a list of my specs: https://pastebin.com/raw/Qgjs05iB (yes I know, not AMD or the like, my history with PCs and money is complicated)

And here are some pictures I took of the cooler, sorry about the bad camera. It's more noticeable in person:
Picture of the cooler base plate:
Should I leave the cooler as it is and not worry? I'll be sure not to apply too much shock on it when carrying it around so the motherboard doesn't break. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Solution
Since your temps are okay, you should leave the cooler as it is and not worry as long as you're sure it's mounted correctly, no fasteners loose or broken, and yes, you have to be more gentile when carrying around a system with big cooler(s) in it, regardless of whether any sag is noticed.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Since your temps are okay, you should leave the cooler as it is and not worry as long as you're sure it's mounted correctly, no fasteners loose or broken, and yes, you have to be more gentile when carrying around a system with big cooler(s) in it, regardless of whether any sag is noticed.

Solution

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Its not that heavy of a cooler and the ring retention should help with warping a little, so i would not worry about it.
Also there is nothing wrong with going with a i7-8700.
Those things are still a beast when it comes to gaming.

Fleetwire

May 23, 2020
Its not that heavy of a cooler and the ring retention should help with warping a little, so i would not worry about it.
Also there is nothing wrong with going with a i7-8700.
Those things are still a beast when it comes to gaming.
The i7-8700 was in my pre-built so I just took it from there because I couldn't really afford a B450 motherboard and Ryzen processor. My next build will definitely be Ryzen.
Anyway, thank you guys for the answers, I'll make sure to continue monitoring temps. The board does not flex, and the baseplate doesn't either. It seems the cooler is just that way.