Is 8gb enough storage for your smartphone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yes. My last two phones came with 16GB cards, and I swapped them out for the 8GB I've been using since my G1, mostly because I don't feel like swapping the content & its a class 6 card.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
8GB is probably the minimum you'd want for a smart phone depending on what type of apps you use. If your use is minimalistic and you use it as an addition to your home PC with a few apps that interface with your full fledged ones then it should be enough.

It's mostly games for now which take up 100+ MB's but I wouldn't be surprised if other apps come in such as with photo editing and movie editing where you're gonna want more space. Then we get into using it as a PMP (portable media player) which can really kill any space you have.

have you tried streaming?

I find that I like the randomness of the streaming apps. Slacker has passed Pandora as my favorite but I have both installed on my phone. Of course I keep a few playlists with 50 or so songs on each for when I know what I want to listen to.

Unfortunately all fingers point to both AT&T and Verizon, the big two, killing the unlimited plans. AT&T has already done so and Verizon has been putting hints at this for a while now. Even if they re-introduce it later, it'll be with more expensive plans. So the streaming apps may not be ideal. So the future is fuzzy on streaming apps unfortunately.

*Edited for better coherency*

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
have you tried streaming?

I find that I like the randomness of the streaming apps. Slacker has passed Pandora as my favorite but I have both installed on my phone. Of course I keep a few playlists with 50 or so songs on each for when I know what I want to listen to.

I have zero intention of wasting bandwidth on streaming when I have over 16GB or music that I own. That said, the 8GB the Evo came with aint enough and 16GB is only a little better. If there were an option to get 64GB or even 128GB I'd jump on it but so far there are only a couple of slow and expensive 32GB uSD cards and I won't bite on those.

Now, find me a class 10 or better 32GB uSD card for less than $75 and I'll be there. I realize that class 10 may not be needed in the phone, but if you plug into your laptop to do a direct file(s) transfer class 2 speeds will be painful...

Brian

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
16gb built-in on vibrant plus I added another 16gb card. And I am pretty much full. Lots of music and, uh, some video I made with my GF. :)

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
If you use it as just a phone, I think 8GB is enough. Otherwise 16GB is kind of a necessity.

Also remember that Apps cannot be installed on the external memory, it has to be internal. But I think Froyo fixes this issue.

Yes, not all apps support it yet, but you can move them to SD card with Froyo. Very useful feature.