Discussion IRS Underfunded? Who’s surprised?

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
It seems that we will now be hearing about how the current administration is wrecking the upcoming tax season with delays and the inability of tax payers to get questions answered. It’s seems to be another problem created by the Republicons that they will blame on the Democrats, because, you know, every problem is the responsibility of the current administration, unless that is, the current administration is Republicon.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well, it's not congress that makes laws to collect taxes, it's just the evil IRS that does. Spoken for truth.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
They should be able to confiscate people's fortunes until they prove they don't owe taxes. Would solve this issue.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What legislator would dare to propose and even conjure a moment of hope that all hidden offshore treasure our billionaires are stashing overseas are taxable income or that all those numerous loopholes they paid our legislators to include in the code be forever banished and the IRS be sent a regiment of reinforcements. Maybe Liz might be able to shine some low wattage candle light on it, but so long as the Repubs have a thing or two to say about it, nothin's gonna happen.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What legislator would dare to propose and even conjure a moment of hope that all hidden offshore treasure our billionaires are stashing overseas are taxable income or that all those numerous loopholes they paid our legislators to include in the code be forever banished and the IRS be sent a regiment of reinforcements. Maybe Liz might be able to shine some low wattage candle light on it, but so long as the Repubs have a thing or two to say about it, nothin's gonna happen.
I would rather bet that huge amounts of that treasure wind up as Republican and yes, Democrat campaign contributions.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I would rather bet that huge amounts of that treasure wind up as Republican and yes, Democrat campaign contributions.

Don't know what legalese those monies would have to navigate that treasure chest of theirs over into the campaign chests of their chosen beneficiaries, yet I agree with you with the proviso that Repubs in general rely much more heavily from the donor class for funding than the Dems do, although exceptions do exist like Manchin and Senima from the Dem party where they are both corporatists that are as reliant as most if not all Repubs are from those plutocrats with bottomless pockets.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In recent negotiations with Republicans Democrats offered no new taxes but instead to just increase funding so the IRS could effectively enforce the laws already on the books.

You will be shocked to find out the people who so frequently say 'we don't need new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we have' were not particularly interested in enforcing the ones we have.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In recent negotiations with Republicans Democrats offered no new taxes but instead to just increase funding so the IRS could effectively enforce the laws already on the books.

You will be shocked to find out the people who so frequently say 'we don't need new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we have' were not particularly interested in enforcing the ones we have.
Imagine the contortional gymnastics one can achieve absent a moral spine.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Been the Republican game for years. Can't really look too deeply at extremely wealthy tax returns. That's communism.
Is that why the majority of top wealthy Congressional districts are represented by Democrats because the rich hate the favoritism by Republicans?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Is that why the majority of top wealthy Congressional districts are represented by Democrats because the rich hate the favoritism by Republicans?

You like being the dumbest mother fucker on p&n huh?

I’ll help you out though. Democrats overwhelmingly represent large cities, large cities also happen to be where most business occurs, hence the reasons their districts tend to be the wealthy kind. Also because your traitor ass is brainwashed, only one party has been trying to fund the IRS so that it may enforce current tax policy and it’s certainly not the party whose only accomplishment in the last 15 years (despite having a majority hold of government during several of those years) has been tax cuts for the wealthy.

Now shut the fuck up, dumb ass traitor.

Reactions: dank69

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Been the Republican game for years. Can't really look too deeply at extremely wealthy tax returns. That's communism.
Yep. Shoestring budgets are sure going to get those tax cheats. Records? They are somewhere in the warehouse next to the Arc Of the Covenant.

Reactions: ivwshane
Dec 10, 2005

With the additional funding from the IRA, the IRS is now going after wealthy people who failed to file returns and executives who use company planes for personal travel while the company gets a write-off.

These are the people Republicans wanted to protect when they didn't want the IRS to have more funding. Republicans love to defund the [tax] police.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

With the additional funding from the IRA, the IRS is now going after wealthy people who failed to file returns and executives who use company planes for personal travel while the company gets a write-off.

These are the people Republicans wanted to protect when they didn't want the IRS to have more funding. Republicans love to defund the [tax] police.
Wait what? The Irish Republican Army is funding American Internal Revenue Service?

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11 and iRONic

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

"Beginning this week, the IRS will start sending out noncompliance letters to more than 25,000 people who earn more than $1 million per year and 100,000 people with incomes between $400,000 and $1 million who failed to pay their taxes between 2017 and 2021."

WTF? As a self-employed person, I get a letter every year from HMRC (UK name for IRS) to remind me not to forget to file my tax return by next January (I have never forgotten and have been self-employed for over 20 years). My wife was self-employed for a short stint and failed to file her tax return and she must have received at least a letter per month until she sorted it.

I can kind-of potentially understand gov tax people not getting particularly hands-on with non-filers but I would have thought the increasingly stern letters would be almost completely automated.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
"Beginning this week, the IRS will start sending out noncompliance letters to more than 25,000 people who earn more than $1 million per year and 100,000 people with incomes between $400,000 and $1 million who failed to pay their taxes between 2017 and 2021."

WTF? As a self-employed person, I get a letter every year from HMRC (UK name for IRS) to remind me not to forget to file my tax return by next January (I have never forgotten and have been self-employed for over 20 years). My wife was self-employed for a short stint and failed to file her tax return and she must have received at least a letter per month until she sorted it.

I can kind-of potentially understand gov tax people not getting particularly hands-on with non-filers but I would have thought the increasingly stern letters would be almost completely automated.
For our entire lifetimes Republicans have worked very hard to prevent the IRS from doing its job.

They don’t just prefer lower taxes though changing tax law, they also prefer letting rich people break tax law so they can pay less.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Wait what? The Irish Republican Army is funding American Internal Revenue Service?
It's a partnership opportunity. Remember, the British government didn't give a solitary fuck about peace in Northern Ireland until the IRA blew up rich people in London. All of a sudden, the government saw a path to peace. Blow up a few tax cheats and we can see how things go.

Reactions: hal2kilo