11 nvidia geforce2 gts/geforce2 pro
11 acpi irq holder for pci irq steering
12 standard ps/2 port mouse
13 numeric data processor
14 via bus master pci ide controller
14 primary ide controller (dual fifo)
15 via bus master pci ide controller
15 secondary ide controller (dual fifo)

the problem is with the Kingston NIC card and my USB controllers. They are both using the same IRQ. And I cant change them for some reason, I have tried changing NIC IRQ to 4 but the USB controllers move with it. I have tried changing slots for the NIC card but still nothing. Theres nothing in the A7V133 bios that lets me change the USB controller's IRQ. Anybody know how I could fix this problem??

AMD 1.2
A7V133 bios 1004
via 4.29v driver

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
is that irq sharing causing any problems that you want to alter it?
if you want it changing, suggest that you disable com 2 in bios & hope that windows uses the free irq for your nic! :)

flyers1

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2001
My A7V has specific PCI slots share IRQs with other devices. I am pretty sure PCI slot 4 & 5 share IRQ with USB. PCI1 and AGP share; PCI2 and Promise IDE share also. I think PCI3 is the only one that is 'alone'. Basically, the only way to change this is to move your NIC to a different PCI slot. Maybe one of your other cards would play nice with USB. Your manual lists the configuration of the slots somewhere so check that out.

That is, unless they totally changed the IRQ config on the A7V133 from the A7V. In which case, nevermind :)

flyers1

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2001
BTW, this post would probably be better in the troubleshooting forum, or even motherboards.

lillazy23

Banned
Feb 16, 2001
yeah flyers thats how its setup. Dont know how to fix it, first the problem was that my game would crash. turned out the sound card was using a irq with the nic. now my usb optical mouse wont turn on

flyers1

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2001
post your PCI and AGP card configs. ie:
AGP: _______
PCI1: _____
PCI2: _____
etc. That'll help see where the problem is.

lillazy23

Banned
Feb 16, 2001
AGP - asus7700 geforce2 gts
pci1 - empty
pci2 - empty
pci3 - sb live
pci4 - NIC card
pci5 - empty

Mykex

Dec 17, 2000
Dont ask why but with the k*133 chipsets the USB cotrollers want to be on the same IRQ as a com device. I had the same problem I even disabled my unused comm ports to no avail. I fixed it by tossing my old 56k dialup modem in and they now share with that. Crappy part is I still have an open IRQ and those are the only devices that share.

And please this time no digs on Win2k and free pizza on IRQ10.

lillazy23

Banned
Feb 16, 2001
what do you mean you fixed it by throwing in a 56k?? so if i put a 56k modem into slot 5, the usb controllers will share with the modem and not the NIC card??? I have tried everything this problem is very annoying now

Compellor

Oct 1, 2000
Is "Plug and Pray OS" selected in the BIOS? Try turning it off. Also, if there is a selection under the Power Management section in the BIOS to turn off ACPI, try that. Generally, if these are not selected, you can assign IRQ's to each card within the BIOS.

Here's a good ariticle on ACPI that I found very useful:

Ask Ryu: The black art of ACPI

lillazy23

Banned
Feb 16, 2001
i think i figured it out, i switched the sound card and NIC card. Apparently the USB controllers didnt like being with the NIC card but they work with the Sound card. I hope this doesnt freeze the game like before.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
if u still get the problem occuring give me a P.M. and I can give u some pointers, just went through the same thing myself

lee

lillazy23

Banned
Feb 16, 2001
that didnt help, I keep freezing again. But the good thing is my mouse works now. I appreciate your help

thanks

Mykex

Dec 17, 2000
Yes I got the USB to share with the modem I dont use,sounds stupid but it works for me. I got sick of banging my head against the wall trying to get them on there own IRQ. This thread made go back and try again and I cant get them on there own, meanwhile IRQ 9 "free and clear" is laughing and taunting me.

lillazy23

Banned
Feb 16, 2001
This problem is really pissing me off now. I dont know what else to do, there isnt a driver or patch i havent missed. I just downloaded 3dmark and it passed all the tests. But when i play counterstrike it freezes, good thing now is that i managed to slow down the freezing process. I can at least play a while before it eventually freezes on me. Im also waiting for my swiftech HSF to arrive, maybe that will solve the problem. But I doubt it because my temp is idle at 48 and 52 under load.

Thanks for any help :(

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
hey there well i have sound blaster live 5.1 and ran into simular problems, I can only tell you how I got mine to work and see if you can try this. i started with a fresh format and got the same type of thing after I started loading this. so I went into systems and deleted all the cards i had in my rig....SCSI....ethernet....sound card....and then I took out all the cards. rebooted and let windows get a fresh start. shut down and put the sound blaster in the first PCI slot and rebooted and loaded the drivers and the software.....shut down and placed in the net card.....loaded the drivers and shut down......put in the scsi card and did the same thing.
that seemed to work for me and all the irq's are not conflicting now. everything on the rig is working. hope that helps

lee

any other questions pm me

grendelkhan

Jan 28, 2001
I went so far as to make up matrixes for all my slots and all my cards to find every possible combination (I just took a statistics class), so that I could systematically trry everything before giving up.

Sounds like alot of work, but it will save you from looking at your case after a couple hours and thinking, "Did I try this combo before?"