"Iraq's oil-fueled surplus could hit $80 billion"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: jackace
We did remove their tyrannical leader who slaughtered and oppressed many who did not agree with him or belonged to his particular political party. Is that enough?

Not nearly enough.

Doing "enough" to fix their issues to the point where we can finally say our goodbyes without the country crumbling back to state of hell (not that it isn't that bad even now) will require far more time, money, and lives that even our country can ever possibly hope to afford without going so far into debt that we will have no where to turn. I don't mind making sacrifices to help others, but we have to draw the line and where that line needs to be drawn to do the job right is ridiculously far beyond what is reasonable to expect from our country.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: jackace
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Whoa. The Gulf War came about because Kuwait was attacked by Saddam. What you effectivesly suggest is that if Saddam had kept Kuwait he should have billed them for their "liberation". France and Poland should have paid Germany, etc.

We attacked Iraq. Has Iraq made money off it's oil? Good for them. If I had my way we wouldn't be just paying Iraq for the evil we visited on them, I'd send a bunch of war supporters to sweep their streets and rebuild their homes. They did nothing to us, and we killed them anyway.

Yep. I don't get the 'Iraq owes us' logic. That is akin to bulldozing your neighbors house because there's a roof leak and asking them to pay for the rental. Do people really think we did the Iraqis a favor by invading their country and turning it into chaos?

We did remove their tyrannical leader who slaughtered and oppressed many who did not agree with him or belonged to his particular political party. Is that enough?

How many innocent people do you think we have killed that we feel all warm and fuzzy to call "collateral damage"?

Are we not responsible for abu-ghraib .. where 80++ percent of those jailed were completely innocent...

Did you know that Hailburton barely even hired Iraqis to rebuild their own country>> they went to lesser developed countries and brought over people who would work for barely any pay.. but I bet they charged you and me some crazy prices for the crap they did

This war was one of the worst things America has ever done..

I was merely making a statement that we did give them something. Whether it was enough to justify the means and costs is something we will debate for years. I personally tend to agree with the bold part of your statement.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Deudalus
This thread isn't about Jpeyton or McGowens, please try to stay somewhat on topic

Anandtech Senior moderator
Red Dawn

Understood but how many threads do we see on this board that gets a knee jerk cut and paste response from one of the zealots here that often has very, very little to nothing to do with the topic in question?

If you are telling me I'm derailing threads then please start passing out tickets at Indy.

Don't believe me?

Do a test and create a fake user name criticizing Obama about ANYTHING and then see how long it takes for one of the aforementioned members to bring up our current retarded president specifically to derail the thread.

Pot meet Kettle.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
At least give me a chance to actually make a post in a thread before you start quoting me.

LOL, stop making unreasonable demands in P&N

You're so prolific, your comments get into a thread before you do. ;)

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
But U.S. officials who work with the Iraqis on reconstruction said the Baghdad government has been increasing its capital spending by 30 to 35 percent each year since 2006 ? although they added that both governments want to see the pace increased.

The Iraqi government is drafting plans for Iraqi-funded projects to include 1,000 new primary health care centers over the next 10 years, new airports and a major renovation project for downtown Baghdad, the American officials said.

They spoke on condition of anonymity because they did not want to comment on Iraqi government performance.

The officials said the United States has not begun any new reconstruction projects in Iraq since 2004 and that ongoing work is funded by money approved by Congress four years ago.

^ Some good news, but they need to pick up the pace.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Do people really think we did the Iraqis a favor by invading their country and turning it into chaos?

Might be, yeah.

If they continue progressing I think many will feel that way, particularly the Shia. I haven't forgotten the brutal oppression of the majority by the minority from Tikrit (Saddam's village).

What was in store for those people after Saddam? Remember his sons? Jeebus, what a nasty bunch.

Some of you people act like it was paradise before we went in. They were going nowhere but further down. They have now a chance to improve vastly.

Fern

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-
Do people really think we did the Iraqis a favor by invading their country and turning it into chaos?

Might be, yeah.

If they continue progressing I think many will feel that way, particularly the Shia. I haven't forgotten the brutal oppression of the majority by the minority from Tikrit (Saddam's village).

What was in store for those people after Saddam? Remember his sons? Jeebus, what a nasty bunch.

Some of you people act like it was paradise before we went in. They were going nowhere but further down. They have now a chance to improve vastly.

Fern

So we're going to shift the oppression from one group to another? The place was in turmoil when we went in and it will eventually return to it regardless of how we leave it. The difference is now *we* are the ones to blame. The invasion was a collosial mistake.

Saddam and his sons were brutal tyrants but let's not pretend we went into Iraq for anything other than our own self interest. There are plenty of other countries that oppress their people and we haven't invaded them. There are also countries that support terrorism that we consider an ally of sorts.