"Iraq's oil-fueled surplus could hit $80 billion"

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
"Baghdad had a $29 billion budget surplus between 2005 to 2007. With the price of crude roughly doubling in the past year, Iraq's surplus for 2008 is expected to run between $38 billion and $50 billion, according to a report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

The United States has put about $48 billion toward reconstruction since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, auditors reported. About $23 billion of that was spent on the oil and electricity industries, water systems and security."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/05/iraq.oil

i remember when this war began and there was plenty of discussion of Iraq's oil paying for the reconstruction efforts. every citizen of the US is currently paying tax dollars directly into the pockets of the new Iraqi govt which is sitting on top of the fourth largest oil reserve in the world. i thought republicans were supposed to be good businessmen.

here is a solution to this disaster, Iraq writes the US a check for services rendered and we leave.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: alien42
Topic Title: "Iraq's oil-fueled surplus could hit $80 billion"

Topic Summary: again, thank you bush and co

"Baghdad had a $29 billion budget surplus between 2005 to 2007. With the price of crude roughly doubling in the past year, Iraq's surplus for 2008 is expected to run between $38 billion and $50 billion, according to a report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

The United States has put about $48 billion toward reconstruction since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, auditors reported. About $23 billion of that was spent on the oil and electricity industries, water systems and security."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/05/iraq.oil

i remember when this war began and there was plenty of discussion of Iraq's oil paying for the reconstruction efforts. every citizen of the US is currently paying tax dollars directly into the pockets of the new Iraqi govt which is sitting on top of the fourth largest oil reserve in the world. i thought republicans were supposed to be good businessmen.

here is a solution to this disaster, Iraq writes the US a check for services rendered and we leave.

Remember we were told that the oil would pay for the war.

All it's doing is padding big oil's pocket and those that support them.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Originally posted by: Jpeyton in another thread...

It's time to pad that bottom line before the George's Oil Party get's evicted in November.

Do you have multiple accounts that you post on here or do you two just get the same talking points?

I'm not sure which is more pathetic btw.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Deudalus

It's time to pad that bottom line before the George's Oil Party get's evicted in November.

Do you have multiple accounts that you post on here or do you two just get the same talking points?

besides the fact that your post is off topic, it is also pitiful. time for a pad?

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: alien42

besides the fact that your post is off topic, it is also pitiful. time for a pad?

I'm sure Dave, or Jpeyton, or whichever personality the person that spams with both accounts with chooses to use at the time, can defend himself on this issue.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Good, they can start paying us back now in cold, hard cash. Freedom isn't "free" you know . . .

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Whatever pisses off you America hating Republicans the most the better. :D

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Helicopter People from the mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

At least give me a chance to actually make a post in a thread before you start quoting me.

Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures, right kiddo?

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005

Once again, just because I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking zealot doesn't make me a Republican.

What's more its a sure sign of intellectual weakness to try to belittle others when forced to defend yourself.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

Either:

1: He's parroting you.
2: You are parroting him.
3: You are equally parroting each other.
4: You are parroting someone else which you likely haven't even ever spoken to directly.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

Either:

1: He's parroting you.
2: You are parroting him.
3: You are equally parroting each other.
4: You are parroting someone else which you likely haven't even ever spoken to directly.

oh shuts up.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
[
What's more its a sure sign of intellectual weakness to try to belittle others when forced to defend yourself.
Kind of like what you are doing in this thread.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
[

Exactly. He hasn't posted a single post that addresses the topic.

On topic: We should do what we did in Gulf war I. Make the beneficiary countries foot the bill, in this case Iraq. They can easily pay us back in oil. For e.g., after the war the US all but kept the large Kuwaiti supertankers that the US had protected during the war by manning the ships with key US personnel.

At least we could stop paying Iraq interest on the money they bank because the US taxpayer is paying for their reconstruction instead of them spending that money for the same purpose.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
[

Exactly. He hasn't posted a single post that addresses the topic.

On topic: We should do what we did in Gulf war I. Make the beneficiary countries foot the bill, in this case Iraq. They can easily pay us back in oil. For e.g., after the war the US all but kept the large Kuwaiti supertankers that the US had protected during the war by manning the ships with key US personnel.

At least we could stop paying Iraq interest on the money they bank because the US taxpayer is paying for their reconstruction instead of them spending that money for the same purpose.

Whoa. The Gulf War came about because Kuwait was attacked by Saddam. What you effectivesly suggest is that if Saddam had kept Kuwait he should have billed them for their "liberation". France and Poland should have paid Germany, etc.

We attacked Iraq. Has Iraq made money off it's oil? Good for them. If I had my way we wouldn't be just paying Iraq for the evil we visited on them, I'd send a bunch of war supporters to sweep their streets and rebuild their homes. They did nothing to us, and we killed them anyway.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Topic Title: "Iraq's oil-fueled surplus could hit $80 billion"

And yet the US Taxpayer continues to pay 90,000 Sunni 'Concerned Local Citizens' $300/month ...

And gives them free guns and ammo.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yeah stop with the off topic post. If we let all the nut jobs gather in one thread maybe we'd not have to worry about them in other ones.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
This thread isn't about Jpeyton or McGowens, please try to stay somewhat on topic

Anandtech Senior moderator
Red Dawn

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Whoa. The Gulf War came about because Kuwait was attacked by Saddam. What you effectivesly suggest is that if Saddam had kept Kuwait he should have billed them for their "liberation". France and Poland should have paid Germany, etc.

We attacked Iraq. Has Iraq made money off it's oil? Good for them. If I had my way we wouldn't be just paying Iraq for the evil we visited on them, I'd send a bunch of war supporters to sweep their streets and rebuild their homes. They did nothing to us, and we killed them anyway.

Yep. I don't get the 'Iraq owes us' logic. That is akin to bulldozing your neighbors house because there's a roof leak and asking them to pay for the rental. Do people really think we did the Iraqis a favor by invading their country and turning it into chaos?

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor

Yep. I don't get the 'Iraq owes us' logic. That is akin to bulldozing your neighbors house because there's a roof leak and asking them to pay for the rental. Do people really think we did the Iraqis a favor by invading their country and turning it into chaos?

We did remove their tyrannical leader who slaughtered and oppressed many who did not agree with him or belonged to his particular political party. Is that enough?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jackace

We did remove their tyrannical leader who slaughtered and oppressed many who did not agree with him or belonged to his particular political party. Is that enough?

Not nearly enough.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: jackace

How many innocent people do you think we have killed that we feel all warm and fuzzy to call "collateral damage"?

Are we not responsible for abu-ghraib .. where 80++ percent of those jailed were completely innocent...

Did you know that Hailburton barely even hired Iraqis to rebuild their own country>> they went to lesser developed countries and brought over people who would work for barely any pay.. but I bet they charged you and me some crazy prices for the crap they did

This war was one of the worst things America has ever done..

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Lots of on-topic posts in this thead :thumbsup:

Skoorb, I have to admit... you're the only freaking person in P&N that I find myself agreeing with time and again. Its amazing how many times you post exactly what I'm thinking.