Iraq's First Opinion Poll - "More than 4 out of 5 Iraqis in Baghdad want US soldiers to remain in the capital"

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Link

That's some good news. But there's still a lot of hard work ahead:

Over 90 percent of those polled said the United States had totally failed in its efforts to restore services to the battered capital, while only one in 100 judged the US record on reconstruction as "good".

Should the US ask more countries to help out with getting basic services restored for the Iraqi people?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: prontospyder
Link

Over 90 percent of those polled said the United States had totally failed in its efforts to restore services to the battered capital, while only one in 100 judged the US record on reconstruction as "good".

Should the US ask more countries to help out with getting basic services restored for the Iraqi people?

Hmm, I read a report about most services being back or close to prewar levels.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
Your title and quote say exact opposites.

Just read the article. :)
Although they have more freedoms now, Iraqis are starting to get alittle impatient over the lack of services and jobs.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Although they have more freedoms now, Iraqis are starting to get alittle impatient over the lack of services and jobs.

I hear there are jobs to be had in sat tv sales in Iraq now.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001

Did you read it here? Maybe here? I know it was here.
Some Iraqis have more electric service than in the past 12 years. For example, people in Basrah have electricity 24 hours a day. Only Baghdad suffers from electrical shortages above pre-war levels.
I thought the Brits were handling Basrah?

Baghdad?s water system is at 60% of pre-war levels; in some places where there is reliable electric power, there are claims of higher levels of drinkable water than before the war;
Convinced . . .

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

Did you read it here? Maybe here? I know it was here.
Some Iraqis have more electric service than in the past 12 years. For example, people in Basrah have electricity 24 hours a day. Only Baghdad suffers from electrical shortages above pre-war levels.
I thought the Brits were handling Basrah?

Baghdad?s water system is at 60% of pre-war levels; in some places where there is reliable electric power, there are claims of higher levels of drinkable water than before the war;
Convinced . . .

I did not claim it was better everywhere. I am sure it much better than it was 30 days ago, and will be much better still in another 30 days.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Well of course that can't be right because everyone knows all the Hussein loyalis....errr...umm....I mean all the Iraqis don't want the US there.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I think people continue to make false generalizations. Most Iraqis do not want the US in Iraq . . . now they do want continuous power, water, and food . . . not to mention someone to help rebuild and provide security. If that MUST be the US, most Iraqis will tolerate a US presence. I tolerate conference calls, patients that do not bathe, and idiots . . . it doesn't mean I welcome any of it.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
the people of Iraq have spoken ,don't put words in their mouth. The majority want us to stay there until a govt is elected and in place.

Quite frankly after listening to the bush, america bashers for months about how "we are not wanted there", it's nice to hear directly from the people of Iraq and find out the truth......

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Link

That's some good news. But there's still a lot of hard work ahead:

12 countries recently announced they would send people to help, including Germany. Japan has pledged a ton of cash as well, others are stepping up to help out. I hope we can do this quickly, but I do not want us to leave until it is done right.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Didn't they have an unemployment rate of 40 or 60% prior to the war?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
the difference is now they can speak their mind without having their children raped in front of them while they are tortured to death.....

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Didn't they have an unemployment rate of 40 or 60% prior to the war?

Not sure...the CIA World Factbook 2002 doesn't seem to have Iraq's unemployment info.

I'm glad that other countries are starting to send people to help out.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
It would help also if the Iraqi resistance wasnt blowing up power plants with RPGs too. Can you imagine trying to find spare parts for an antiquated power generation system built originally by anyones guess?

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
the difference is now they can speak their mind without having their children raped in front of them while they are tortured to death.....

LOL, wow. imaginative mind you've got there. you should have added "while their favorite yani cd's were crushed bit by bit into a shredding machine".

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
no, those were also reserved for people as well, would you like to hear the comments from someone forced to watch over 30 people tortured before being fed into a plastic chipper?

While I know of no documented rapes of children, there were many adult woman raped in front of their family or on videotape, a form of torture in itself, ah the good old days before the big bad evil US came in and ruined all the fun.....