Iraqis cross Southwest border seeking asylum

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

The number of Iraqis seeking asylum as they enter the United States over the nation's Southwest border has nearly tripled this year compared with last, and the year isn't even over, said Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell, a member of the president's Cabinet who oversees the nation's 16 intelligence agencies.

None of the Iraqis have been linked to terrorist activities, but McConnell said the crossings show that more attention is being paid to the Southwest border, including by terrorist groups searching to find entry routes -- legal and illegal -- with the goal of causing "mass casualties" after they arrive.

These are the ones they know about, how many do they not know about how many from other parts of the Made East, and how many of those do have terrorist ties are free to roam about unfettered in the US?

What really gets me is the fact are own government knows about this and has known about it, yet they do nothing except try to make them citizens.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Homeland security is not used to protect our borders, nor to protect the American people, it's used to protect the office of the president, his staff, and his party.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Socio

The number of Iraqis seeking asylum as they enter the United States over the nation's Southwest border has nearly tripled this year compared with last, and the year isn't even over, said Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell, a member of the president's Cabinet who oversees the nation's 16 intelligence agencies.

None of the Iraqis have been linked to terrorist activities, but McConnell said the crossings show that more attention is being paid to the Southwest border, including by terrorist groups searching to find entry routes -- legal and illegal -- with the goal of causing "mass casualties" after they arrive.

These are the ones they know about, how many do they not know about how many from other parts of the Made East, and how many of those do have terrorist ties are free to roam about unfettered in the US?

What really gets me is the fact are own government knows about this and has known about it, yet they do nothing except try to make them citizens.

Where is the Made East?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Maybe if we didn't destabilize their country you wouldn't be reading about an increase of Iraqis coming to this country. I sure as hell wouldn't stay in Iraq right now if I was an Iraqi. Especially not after the mess that this war has turned into.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Has Director McConnell been watching too much Bill O'Reilly? I'm having trouble coming up with another reason he'd make such a ridiculous statement...he's not some random idiot on the Internet, he's allegedly directing ALL our intelligence efforts, I don't think it's to much to ask that he has some himself. How are non-terrorist Iraqis crossing our southwestern border showing ANYTHING about what terrorist groups are doing, let alone what their theoretical motivations might be once they get here?

Folks seeking asylum are apt to take the cheapest and most direct route into the country...terrorist groups on the other hand are not as limited by funding and will take the route with the greatest chance of success. Any terrorist worth his heavenly virgins will come across the much less well defended Canadian border. Or, for that matter, fake the documents required to get into the country LEGALLY. That seems like basic common sense to me, yet no one is getting their panties in a bunch over anything but the Mexican border, which, despite ranting and raving to the contrary, has so far as we know not let a single terrorist into the country. This is a stupid ass debate, and shame on the DNI for going along with the moonbats on this one.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Has Director McConnell been watching too much Bill O'Reilly? I'm having trouble coming up with another reason he'd make such a ridiculous statement...he's not some random idiot on the Internet, he's allegedly directing ALL our intelligence efforts, I don't think it's to much to ask that he has some himself. How are non-terrorist Iraqis crossing our southwestern border showing ANYTHING about what terrorist groups are doing, let alone what their theoretical motivations might be once they get here?

Folks seeking asylum are apt to take the cheapest and most direct route into the country...terrorist groups on the other hand are not as limited by funding and will take the route with the greatest chance of success. Any terrorist worth his heavenly virgins will come across the much less well defended Canadian border. Or, for that matter, fake the documents required to get into the country LEGALLY. That seems like basic common sense to me, yet no one is getting their panties in a bunch over anything but the Mexican border, which, despite ranting and raving to the contrary, has so far as we know not let a single terrorist into the country. This is a stupid ass debate, and shame on the DNI for going along with the moonbats on this one.

Have you ever stopped to think that just maybe, as the director of our intel services, he has access to information that you don't? You're writing his statement off because *you* don't agree with it, because to *you* it doesn't make sense, but in what position are you to comment on this issue?

Would you also have written off a bunch of foreign nationals simultaneously hijacking commercial airliners, and then deftly piloting them into major US buildings, in a coordinated attack? I certainly would have. Most people would have. It just doesn't seem to make sense. Like you point out... there are much easier ways to do things.

You're making this guy out to be some random bureaucrat who has no idea of what he is talking about. Why?

Edit:

You are also basing your comments on the article's interpretation of his comments, which may not reflect the exact context of what he was speaking on, so you are in even less of a position to call it a "ridiculous statement" if you do not even know what the statement was.

Jun 26, 2007

Ok, well Sweden, a country of 9 mil have 8x as many (not per capita, 8x) Iraqis fleeing from Iraq.

Refugees do that you know, they cross the border and try to get asylum.

Nearly tripled means what? 500? Heh, this compared to the hundreds of thousands of refugees in the EU?

The Iraqis are good people, your president said so himself, but now a very few of them are coming to America and you're shaking in your boots?

Seriously, what are you so very afraid of? The Iraqis aren't terrorists, it's just GW who wants you to think they are, these refugees aren't terrorists either, just relax and stop listening to the fearmongers.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Maybe if we didn't destabilize their country you wouldn't be reading about an increase of Iraqis coming to this country. I sure as hell wouldn't stay in Iraq right now if I was an Iraqi. Especially not after the mess that this war has turned into.
Hear hear!

Jun 26, 2007

only ze blueeyed and ze blondes can enter, rest go to chamber no1.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

only ze blueeyed and ze blondes can enter, rest go to chamber no1.

So says the guy from a country with a camera on every corner.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, this was McConnell's way of shedding light on an issue without releasing the true specifics for the concern? Trust me, the terrorists know about our weak southern borders, and they also know who is taking advantage of the weaknesses to smuggle people and drugs into the U.S... but McConnell isn't going to come out and tell you exactly what/who/where/when/why/how.

This issue with the Iraqi's seeking asylum was simply convenient for him to reiterate his CT concerns regarding the southern broder.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
what's the problem?

shouldn't we be giving Iraqi's asylum?

IMO, not while our boys are stuck over there doing the fighting, unless of course the Iraqis go through the proper channels to get it.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
what's the problem?

shouldn't we be giving Iraqi's asylum?

Not one damn person should be entering our country illegally.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Maybe they're coming to help us with our terrorism problem.

or they could be ILLEGAL GAY ALQAEDAS coming to sex our white women. OH NOES

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Narmer

or they could be ILLEGAL + GAY + ARAB + TERRORISTS coming to sex our white women. OH NOES
I thought they were coming here just to do the jobs nobody else wants to do...??:confused:

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Narmer

or they could be ILLEGAL + GAY + ARAB + TERRORISTS coming to sex our white women. OH NOES
I thought they were coming here just to do the jobs nobody else wants to do...??:confused:

Well, there you go...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

From the article:

And although the numbers are classified, McConnell said, a relatively small number of people with known links to terrorist organizations have been caught crossing the Southwest border.

'Keeping them at bay'

"Coming up through the Mexican border is a path," McConnell said. "Now, are they doing it in great numbers? No, because we're finding them and we're identifying them and we've got watch lists and we're keeping them at bay. There are numerous situations where people are alive today because we caught them (terrorists)."

A recent Associated Press

Sounds like terrorists may not all share your version of "basic common sense"

Fern

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern
Sounds like terrorists may not all share your version of "basic common sense"

Fern

in fairness, anyone with brown skin and a hard to pronounce name has links to terrorist organizations in the eyes of the Bush administration.

ok, sorry... that was my last cheap potshot of the day :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Considering the US doesn't care about 1-2M illegal mexicans each year, how can you care about and Iraqi who's house very well may have been bombed by Bush's ill-conceived war?

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
I doubt Iraqi is coming over here for some terrorist reason. We have turned their county into a even bigger crap hole than it was. If they can make it this far let them have asylum. We broke it (thanks Bush) now we have to make good on it.

I have heard Maryland is nice we could let them go there. ;)