Iraqi Shia begin to Stir: Protests Lead to Ouster of US appointed Governor, elections demanded

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
According to the article, they don't have an election law nor do they have election rolls. It's a great idea, but not too practical at this time, I think.

Dec 27, 2001
Holy cow! People demanding stuff and demonstrating. Perhaps Democracy is taking hold in Iraq quicker than we thought! I.E. you never would have seen this under Saddam.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Invasion and occupation were not too practical either but that didn't stop it from happening.

I think everyone understands how you feel about the Iraq war already, Bali. What do you think about the thead topic?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
A Shiite government is our worst nightmare. Much worse for us and Israel than S.H. Exactly how does Bush propose to install democracy without installing a Shiite government? That will be fun to watch.

-Robert

onelove

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: chess9
A Shiite government is our worst nightmare. Much worse for us and Israel than S.H. Exactly how does Bush propose to install democracy without installing a Shiite government? That will be fun to watch.

well, we'll just call it democracy. or maybe we can just refer to all the "progress" as "democratic reforms". That should do the trick.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: miguel
Invasion and occupation were not too practical either but that didn't stop it from happening.

I think everyone understands how you feel about the Iraq war already, Bali. What do you think about the thead topic?

Heh :beer:

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I predict an autocrat (perhaps benign) will be installed in Iraq. Any kind of true democracy that was provided would result in a Islamic theocracy. I don't think we want to see that happen ...

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I predict an autocrat (perhaps benign) will be installed in Iraq. Any kind of true democracy that was provided would result in a Islamic theocracy. I don't think we want to see that happen ...

I certainly hope that's not the case. Otherwise the middle-east is doomed.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I'm a firm proponent of democratic rule . . . as long as the rights of minorities are protected.

Democratic rule tends to disregard the rights of minorities.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: datalink7
I'm a firm proponent of democratic rule . . . as long as the rights of minorities are protected.

Democratic rule tends to disregard the rights of minorities.

Checks and Balances. The Iraqis provide the Checks and the US provides the Balances. Easy.

Kidding aside I don't think the US will get away with installing a puppet-"democracy". The Shiite haven't made their move yet but if they decide to take to arms the US will be facing an unvinnable situation. The "Liberation" will turn into a permanent "Occupation". If both the Sunni and the Shia hate the US who will then vote for pro-American politicos? If the "democracy" charade evaporates, how will the US then explain their presence in Iraq? Or will the Bushies do away with any excuses and simply stomp the ironboot, and raise the black flag of fascism? Can a modern democracy (the US) survive waging an oldfashioned colonial war?