Iraqi citizens holds first protest!

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
No water and lack of security.......bullets are still flying as of yesterday.
I say we send the french to handle the water,electricity and security.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: bentwookie

And from these protesters will rise the new political leaders.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
let them protest. it's their right. But what really irks me is how people are blaming the US military for failing to prevent calm days after the fall of the capital. I mean, come on people. The war is still going on and people are blaming us for predicting that things would turn out in this manner and not being prepared for it. What a bunch of whiners.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
let them protest. it's their right. But what really irks me is how people are blaming the US military for failing to prevent calm days after the fall of the capital. I mean, come on people. The war is still going on and people are blaming us for predicting that things would turn out in this manner and not being prepared for it. What a bunch of whiners.

Maybe we should give them a few weeks to fix all the infrastucture that is currently broke.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

What I find significant is that this time, the blame is coming from Iraq citizens. When it was coming from anti-war people, it could just be dismissed as sour grapes. I heard one Iraq woman say " at least under Hussein, we could sleep at night". That's scary if all it takes is a couple of days before people start unfavorable comparing us to Saddam. Unless we can settle things down quickly, this doesn't speak well for us long term.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: yowolabi

What I find significant is that this time, the blame is coming from Iraq citizens. When it was coming from anti-war people, it could just be dismissed as sour grapes. I heard one Iraq woman say " at least under Hussein, we could sleep at night". That's scary if all it takes is a couple of days before people start unfavorable comparing us to Saddam. Unless we can settle things down quickly, this doesn't speak well for us long term.

I would be curious to know how wide spread these complaints are. The media has been latching on to problems with the war and then attempting to amplify them.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Militarily, this war has gone very well but I still say we should have committed more troops at the very beginning. More troops might have prevented some of the deaths that occurred near the supply line and more troops might have enabled us to better secure the area and prevent the lootings and general lawlessness that is going on.

I believe a lot of the looters are those Fadaveen thugs -- why would normal looters loot a hospital?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What I find significat is how fast the Iraqi's are learning the concept of freedom. A protest like that would not even have been thought of much less attempted under the Saddam regime.

It's too bad that they seem to have the democrats version right now. Blame everyone else for you problem instead of doing something about the problem yourself.

I was heartened by hearing that some neighborhoods had set up their own patrols and checkpoints to quell the looting. That is taking the situation into your own hands and actually doing something about it. I hope those are the people that become the new leaders of Iraq.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: yowolabi

I would be curious to know how wide spread these complaints are. The media has been latching on to problems with the war and then attempting to amplify them.

that is an understatement..the media went crazy over the looting...what about the looting in Seatle a couple of years ago? and we had a active police state then...
The images they showed during the report had about 20 people just chanting, but smiling...

It sucks to be without water..I should know since I live on a well and when the power goes out I have no water...luckily O can go to my brothers for a shower at least.

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: StormRider
Militarily, this war has gone very well but I still say we should have committed more troops at the very beginning. More troops might have prevented some of the deaths that occurred near the supply line and more troops might have enabled us to better secure the area and prevent the lootings and general lawlessness that is going on.

I believe a lot of the looters are those Fadaveen thugs -- why would normal looters loot a hospital?

Thank Turkey.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: BaDaBooM

Thank Turkey.

more like syria.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

You mean the new Saddam Hussein?

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BaDaBooM

Thank Turkey.

more like syria.

nope it is Turkey. had turkey not rolled on us and allowed the 4th ID to enter iraq from the North there would be another entire division actively working in Northern iraq. thats a lot more soldiers on hand to help secure the region. as it stands the 4th ID had to take ship and via the Suez go to Kuwait. that takes a lot of time to move all thoshe people and their equipment. I don't believe they have even begun to move north from Kuwait yet.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I completely understand the concerns of the Iraqi people. The problem is that people think in this day and age that eveything should instantaneous, every one even some of those oppresesed for the las 20-30 years. Freedom in any shape or form has NEVER come easy and this is no different.

Look how long it took Europe to rebuild after WWII.

They want certain aspects of what they had and forsaking other aspects of the regime, the torture the executions, the fear that thier familes would be killed. But at the same time they want the freedom that we told them we would help them earn. Remember Saddam and his people could have avoided all this if they would have left the country, then this war would not have been so devestating to the people.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
They have never known freedom before so they can only learn from what they see. Since there is so much garbage coming from the liberals and anti-american press maybe they just THINK this is how they are SUPPOSED to act.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
They have never known freedom before so they can only learn from what they see. Since there is so much garbage coming from the liberals and anti-american press maybe they just THINK this is how they are SUPPOSED to act.

I doubt it, after all how exposed are they to the American media?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

You mean the new Saddam Hussein?
Hey Barney.....shouldn't you be letting Otis out of jail? Or maybe it's your night to be outsmarted by Opie and his friends.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: mastertech01

I doubt it, after all how exposed are they to the American media?

He said anti-American press, not American...

They watch AJ, hardly fair balanced reporting...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

That is where they store their weapons cache and spare tanks...not to mention torture devices and hazmat suits