Iraqi blasts kills 70+

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
While America debates another worthless issue on "elitism", real people are dying in the clusterfuck we call Iraq. With the Sunnis resenting Al Maliki refusal to integrate them into the general Iraqi security infrastructure, I think their "awakening" will soon be snuffed out and bloodshed will increase in the coming months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7348089.stm

More than 70 people have been killed in blasts at three cities in Iraq, in one of the deadliest days there for weeks.

At least 53 died and another 90 were injured when explosives packed in a bus detonated outside a restaurant near a court in Baquba, north of the capital.

And 13 more were killed in a suicide bombing at a kebab restaurant where policemen were eating in Ramadi, which had seen a sharp decline in violence.

Three people were also killed in Mosul in the north, and another in Baghdad.

The BBC's Crispin Thorold in Baghdad says suspicion for the attacks is likely to fall on Sunni Islamist groups inspired by al-Qaeda.

Medics struggle

Police said they expected the death toll in Baquba to rise as there were still charred bodies inside cars at the scene.

The bomb there exploded just before noon in a crowded area.

Most of the dead were women and children and many of the bodies are said to be too badly burned to be identified.

Witness Abu Ali said: "I saw cars on fire, burned bodies and damaged shops with shattered glass everywhere."

There were so many wounded that ambulances struggled to get them all to hospital.

Baquba, the capital of Diyala province, has been an insurgent stronghold, where militants linked to al-Qaeda are said to have regrouped after being driven away from Baghdad.

The kebab shop attack in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, was carried out by a suicide attacker, police said. There were unconfirmed reports that a second attacker was arrested before he could detonate his bomb.

Spate of attacks

Anbar was once the heart of Iraq's insurgency.

In contrast to Diyala, the region has seen a sharp decline in violence as Sunni tribal leaders have sided with American and Iraqi government forces against al-Qaeda.

The attack in Baquba was one of the most deadly for months in Iraq, where the US surge strategy has succeeded in reducing the number of deaths.

However, there have been several attacks already this week. At least 17 people were killed in two bomb attacks near Mosul on Monday, including one which killed 12 members of the Kurdish Peshmerga security force, now part of the Iraqi army, near the Syrian border.

The attacks come as US and Iraqi forces continue their offensive against Shia militias in Baghdad and further south.

The US military said it had killed six militants earlier on Tuesday in an engagement with gunmen near Baghdad's main Shia militia stronghold of Sadr City.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
We're making steadfast progress.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
we're going to be there in force even after every iraqi man, woman and child have been blown to smitherines by the newer version of manifest destiny that is the core of the bush "nation building" doctrine.

the only difference after all the iraqi's have been killed off is that the forces that are there now wearing helmets and body armor armed with assault rifles will be replaced with forces that wear suits and ties armed with writs of adverse possession.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree, the surge has resulted in a temporary reduction in Iraqi violence but has done nothing to break the powers of the Iraqi insurgencies.

The immediate theory is that these recent car bombings are inspired as a reaction to Maliki's initiatives in Basra. With its main thrust seeming directed at going only after Al Sadr. And Al Sadr's objective seems directed at avoiding any big confrontations.

Now far away from Basra, all hell is breaking loose and seeming directed at Sunnis. The immediate question in my mind
is who is doing it. And while I have some possible suspects I am clueless on exactly who is doing it. My suspect list is--

1. Various Mahdi army Sadarists are reminding Maliki to back off buddy. With or without Al Sadr blessing.
2. Various Shia types are worried that if Maliki goes after Al Sadr, they will be next. So again the message to Maliki to
not rock the boat because they too are prospering under the current anarchy.
3. Various Al-Quida types who see an opportunity to make things hot for the USA. And since they are persona non grata
in Shia areas, they work their magic in Sunni areas in the hopes of reigniting the sect on sect violence. And using the same tactic that got the Sunnis to throw them out earlier.

And I think we should all be open to alternate hypothesizes also.