Iraq-> Why don't we give our troops Level III bullet proof vests

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
yeah, they all wear flak jackets. but how bullet resistant are they?

It probably doesn't cost that much more to give them Level II+ (NYC cops) or Level III vests.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
What are you talking about? They wear ceramic inserts which makes them Level IV. I read a story in Stars and Stripes these jackets have saved an estimated 2000 lives.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
What are you talking about? They wear ceramic inserts which makes them Level IV. I read a story in Stars and Stripes these jackets have saved an estimated 2000 lives.
Yeah, they were fielding the Interceptor series when I retired. Interceptor has been tested (and actually used) successfully against 7.62x39.

I have read, however, that many reservists and national guardsmen wear the older kevlar flak vest. Some purchase their own Interceptor inserts; a practice which isn't recommended.

Jan 12, 2003
...very few units have Level III w/ ceramic issued...most do not qualify for a rating and built with just Kevlar and w/o ceramic....

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Some purchase their own Interceptor inserts; a practice which isn't recommended.

Not at $700 x 2 (front and back):p

When you see them they all look to be wearing the Interceptor OTV or a PASGT jacket.. Hot hot hot.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
...very few units have Level III w/ ceramic issued...most do not qualify for a rating and built with just Kevlar and w/o ceramic....
You know, the damnedest thing about TA-50 is the immediate replacement value.

One of my soldiers lost his older K-vest while we were doing the field thing back in the mid-90s. Anyway, he ended up paying like $150.00 for it through statement of charges. I see now where one can purchase them online for $70.00 new.

Heh, I can tell you some horror stories about the really old vests with the metal inserts. Ugh.....

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
Some purchase their own Interceptor inserts; a practice which isn't recommended.

Not at $700 x 2 (front and back):p

When you see them they all look to be wearing the Interceptor OTV or a PASGT jacket.. Hot hot hot.
Very hot. Thought I was gonna pass out while in the sandbox. A leader must really stay on his soldiers about proper wear. That is, until a member of the platoon gets shot or hit by shrapnel. Then, everybody can't wear them enough.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Unfortunately a vest isnt all they need for protection. Many of those killed have been head shots. What to do about that? The only way to cut that way back is to isolate the soldiers from the enemy. Not easily done during the peace keeping phase.

fluxquantum

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Unfortunately a vest isnt all they need for protection. Many of those killed have been head shots. What to do about that? The only way to cut that way back is to isolate the soldiers from the enemy. Not easily done during the peace keeping phase.

rpg attacks and improvised explosive devices seem to be the main cause of death or injury.

link

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
although it won't turn into another vietnam or somalia

we should just let the UN take over the operations and share the costs and responsibility, that'd easily cut the violence and suicide bombers in half. since public opinion over there of our troops is negative, where for the UN its neutral or slightly negative

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Does the helmet provide superior protection to bulletproof vest? I don't mean if you get shot in the face, but taking a bullet to the helmet, is it more or less likely to penetrate it than a bullet to the vest?