Iraq War was not reason for Libya giving up WMD production.. story inside

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Revealed: the real reason for Gaddafi's WMD surrender
By Julian Coman and Colin Brown
(Filed: 21/12/2003)

Libya's promise to surrender its weapons of mass destruction was forced by Britain and America's seizure of physical evidence of Col Muammar Gaddafi's illegal weapons programme, the Telegraph can reveal.

United States officials say that America's hand was strengthened in negotiations with Col Gaddafi after a successful operation, previously undisclosed, to intercept transport suspected of carrying banned weapons.

Col Muammar Gaddafi
The operation is said to have been carried out under the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI), an international, American-led scheme to halt the spread of WMD by seizing them in transit. The PSI was first mooted by President George W Bush in May but was not officially launched until September.

Last week, a senior official from the US State Department confirmed that the PSI had "netted several seizures", although he refused to give further details.

President Bush and Tony Blair had praised Libya's decision to give up its WMD and allow international inspectors to oversee their destruction.

Mr Bush described it as a "wise and responsible choice" while a statement issued by the Libyan foreign ministry said that the country had agreed "of its own free will" to destroy its unconventional weapons.

The PSI operation, however, added decisively to the pressure already brought to bear on Col Gaddafi by America and Britain as they prepared to attack Iraq in March.

One Cabinet minister said: "It demonstrates that change can be brought about by standing tough. There is no question that this change of heart by Gaddafi was brought about by the fact that the US and Britain were seen to be standing up to and called Saddam Hussein's bluff."

The Travellers Club in Pall Mall, beloved of spy novelists and frequented by senior officers in the intelligence services, was the venue last week for the final breakthrough talks between MI6 and Libyan intelligence officials.

British immigration rules were discreetly changed to allow the Libyans to enter the country on visas. Three Libyan officials met a four-strong British team led by William Ehrman, the director general of defence and intelligence at the Foreign Office, and including two MI6 officers, to agree the text that would be read out on Libyan television on Friday night.

Mr Blair was forced to wait until the Libyan statement had been taken down by the BBC monitoring unit, translated and its contents checked to make sure they tallied with the agreed text before he was given the go-ahead to make his announcement in Durham during the 10pm news broadcasts.

The Government is hoping that the capture of Saddam, the collapse of the European Union constitution talks, and Col Gaddafi's commitment to surrender WMD will boost Mr Blair's standing with his own backbenchers.

"It has been a triple whammy and there is a sense of success at the end of this year," said a Downing Street official. "It is important domestically, but it is also important internationally."

At a PSI conference in Washington last week, Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defence, reminded the 16 member countries - who include France, Germany, Italy and Japan in addition to Britain and America - that the threat to global security extended beyond North Korea and Iran, the focus of recent pressure from Washington over their nuclear programmes.

"While PSI participants agree that North Korea and Iran are of particular concern, we know that our efforts cannot be confined to just any one or two countries alone," Mr Wolfowitz said.

Libya has long been in American sights over its acquisition of WMD. In June, John Bolton, the under-secretary of state for arms control and international security, warned that the regime was exploiting the suspension of United Nations sanctions after the Lockerbie trial.

"Since the sanctions were lifted, Libya has been able to be more aggressive in pursuing weapons of mass destruction. Libyan agents are trying to acquire dual-use technology. That is very worrying," he said.

The Libyan foreign ministry announced yesterday that it had already sent a team to Vienna to begin talks with the International Atomic Energy Authority, the UN nuclear watchdog.

The official Libyan news agency, Jana, last night quoted Col Gaddafi as declaring that his statement on WMD was "a courageous step which deserves the support of the Libyan people".

Revealed: the real reason for Gaddafi's WMD surrender

Google Link for info on Proliferation Secutiry Initiative

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You would think that as the leader of a country, he would at least make himself a Gen.

Col. is sooo underling :D

Oh, and as far as the article, the most I can say is

"Oops"

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
From the article:
"One Cabinet minister said: "It demonstrates that change can be brought about by standing tough. There is no question that this change of heart by Gaddafi was brought about by the fact that the US and Britain were seen to be standing up to and called Saddam Hussein's bluff.""

Now again, the Iraq situation most definitely wasn't the only reason, but most people will see that it most likely had an affect on how Gaddafi proceeded. People will see that you don't mess around and play games like Saddam did - we won't stand for it any more.

So while this article was interesting and it pointed out that the Iraq think most likely wasn't the only stimulus for Gaddafi's actions - it most likely was part of his decision.

Oh and I found this part most interesting. For the folks that seem to think that we should have lifted sanctions on Saddam:
""Since the sanctions were lifted, Libya has been able to be more aggressive in pursuing weapons of mass destruction. Libyan agents are trying to acquire dual-use technology. That is very worrying," he said."

And people say Bush abandoned the war on terror:p Seems to me that this PSI thing which we led is most definitely proactive on the terror front.:)

CkG

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: friedpie
Proactive versus reactive (or inactive). I'll take proactive (Bush) any day.

Yep, Bush is proactive. I can't wait to see his final solution.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

I can't either. Oh, it involves you being deported or shot. Take your pick.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

I can't either. Oh, it involves you being deported or shot. Take your pick.

Ahh, but my boy you would have to be the one to do it, and you would find that task exceedingly daunting and in any case more costly than it is worth to you.

Bitdog

Dec 3, 2003
I'm a little concerned about the honesty of news reports who's origin are from our governments propaganda department.
The Bush administration appears to squash those who use their freedom of speach
to give honest reports about our governments activities.

Bush has proven that he'll lie to obtain goals and your choice is to have faith in him or not,
yet he hasn't actually revieled what his actual goals are. We've seen him shoot his mouth off a bit too much
in his earily days in the office, and that gave me a glimps of what's inside.
I didn't like what I saw. I don't think that Bush has or would consider a plan to restore our constutional rights
after his global war is over. A different president might though?

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
You would think that as the leader of a country, he would at least make himself a Gen.

Col. is sooo underling :D

Marshal would be better

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

systematic extermination of the left wing political spectrum via concentration camps/gulags. :D

guess it doesnt pay to be a liberal does it?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys

systematic extermination of the left wing political spectrum via concentration camps/gulags. :D

"Bring it on"

:D

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002

Those gulags are commonly referred to as 'mental hospitals' because liberalism is a mental illness. :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Those gulags are commonly referred to as 'mental hospitals' because liberalism is a mental illness. :)
Are you referring to dmcowen674?;)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Bush reacted to Sept 11th and that reaction is still being seen today.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Bush reacted to Sept 11th and that reaction is still being seen today.

But I thought Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11? Are you trying to say that Libya is connected too?;)

What you seem to fail to understand is that while yes, we first had to react, we are now being proactive and this is one such case. Trying to eliminate the possible threat w/o force.

CkG

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
well he reacted to the opportunity, even though his cabinet had been planing the war on Iraq before he ever made it into office.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
Dear Ostriches,

Apparently the Clinton administration had warned the public about Al Queda and Iraq.

ARE AL QAEDA'S links to Saddam Hussein's Iraq just a fantasy of the Bush administration? Hardly. The Clinton administration also warned the American public about those ties and defended its response to al Qaeda terror by citing an Iraqi connection.

More propaganda? :)