Iraq War vet?s service attacked in Ohio campaign

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Just when you thought it couldnt go any lower...

When Josh Mandel got a call from the Marines last year asking him to return voluntarily to Iraq, he had much more to contemplate than when he first enlisted in 2000. He had just been elected to the Ohio state legislature. Family considerations were also important to him. He ultimately decided to serve a second tour in Iraq ?because I didn?t join the Marine Corps to say no when my country called,? Mr. Mandel explains.

Of all the factors he weighed, Mr. Mandel says political concerns were not among them. Now he has been forced to deal with the politics of that decision. The opponent in his tough re-election fight, trial attorney Bob Belovich, is attacking Mr. Mandel?s service, arguing that he abandoned voters. Mr. Belovich?s wife, Barbara, acknowledged in an interview for this column that she has told voters that Mr. Mandel ?went AWOL? (a military term for desertion) by fighting in Iraq.

Even Mr. Mandel?s motives for serving in Iraq are being questioned. Mrs. Belovich claimed in an interview with this columnist that Mandel ?put his personal ambitions ahead of his constituents.? Asked why anyone would enter a war zone out of ?personal ambition,? Barbara Belovich replied curtly, ?Certainly he wasn?t serving our needs.?

Read the whole thing here: http://townhall.com/columnists...acked_in_ohio_campaign

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Definitely not the best way to go about campaigning against someone who has served the country.

Oct 30, 2004

Attacking a political opponent because he left public office to serve the in Iraq seems like a losing strategy.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Belovich is an asswipe, you won't hear any defense of him coming from me.

I just hope the OP isn't attempting to broad-brush.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Insert the obligatory "OMG TOWNHALL. BIASED RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA!" Therefor the story is illegitimate.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Pretty hardcore spin on that one from Belovich. I cannot believe that a guy at home with a comfy family would be putting his personal ambitions on the line to drive around in the desert dodging IEDs.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland

When Josh Mandel got a call from the Marines last year asking him to return voluntarily to Iraq, he had much more to contemplate than when he first enlisted in 2000. He had just been elected to the Ohio state legislature. Family considerations were also important to him. He ultimately decided to serve a second tour in Iraq ?because I didn?t join the Marine Corps to say no when my country called,? Mr. Mandel explains.

Of all the factors he weighed, Mr. Mandel says political concerns were not among them. Now he has been forced to deal with the politics of that decision. The opponent in his tough re-election fight, trial attorney Bob Belovich, is attacking Mr. Mandel?s service, arguing that he abandoned voters. Mr. Belovich?s wife, Barbara, acknowledged in an interview for this column that she has told voters that Mr. Mandel ?went AWOL? (a military term for desertion) by fighting in Iraq.

Even Mr. Mandel?s motives for serving in Iraq are being questioned. Mrs. Belovich claimed in an interview with this columnist that Mandel ?put his personal ambitions ahead of his constituents.? Asked why anyone would enter a war zone out of ?personal ambition,? Barbara Belovich replied curtly, ?Certainly he wasn?t serving our needs."

He was serving his country as a United States Marine in a war zone (or whatever we call Iraq these days). He wasn't serving "our" needs? He was serving his country as a Marine in Iraq while you were chasing ambulances... Idiot needs a good ass whoopin... Preferably by a marine.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Painman

Nope. No broad-brush here. There are war heros on both sides. It just makes me fume when a freaking trial lawyer besmirches a marine serving his country.

FWIW, someone asked back if you were dictator, what 5 things would you change? Being a lawyer automatically EXCLUDES you from being elected to Congress or Council at any level of government. I think that would have to be at the top of my list.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Sickening that this kind of this is allowed and sometimes even encouraged in politics (on both sides).

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett
Insert the obligatory "OMG TOWNHALL. BIASED RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA!" Therefor the story is illegitimate.

Who said anything close to that? :confused:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor

No one did, it was a preemptive strike. ;)

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Even Mr. Mandel?s motives for serving in Iraq are being questioned. Mrs. Belovich claimed in an interview with this columnist that Mandel ?put his personal ambitions ahead of his constituents.? Asked why anyone would enter a war zone out of ?personal ambition,? Barbara Belovich replied curtly, ?Certainly he wasn?t serving our needs.?

Read the whole thing here: http://townhall.com/columnists...acked_in_ohio_campaign

It's like I sometimes say: Some people just need their asses kicked.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: 351ClevelandFWIW, someone asked back if you were dictator, what 5 things would you change? Being a lawyer automatically EXCLUDES you from being elected to Congress or Council at any level of government. I think that would have to be at the top of my list.

Since lawyers are so despicable, why not just make it illegal to be a lawyer in the first place? You'd love it. People could resolve their differences with guns and knives the old-fashioned way.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: 351ClevelandFWIW, someone asked back if you were dictator, what 5 things would you change? Being a lawyer automatically EXCLUDES you from being elected to Congress or Council at any level of government. I think that would have to be at the top of my list.

Since lawyers are so despicable, why not just make it illegal to be a lawyer in the first place? You'd love it. People could resolve their differences with guns and knives the old-fashioned way.

Wow... way to read into something that isnt there. My reasoning is that, with lawyers WRITING the laws, it takes a lawyer to UNDERSTAND them. I shouldnt need a $500 an hour mouth piece to understand any law.

That and lawyers suck. Actually no... I just think we need more farmers, factory workers, and the like in the legislative branches. More common sense people instead of people who know how to "work the system."

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
lol.. you want to ban lawyers from writing laws. That makes a ton of sense. I'm sure the laws your legislature writes would be very effective.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Painman

Nope. No broad-brush here. There are war heros on both sides. It just makes me fume when a freaking trial lawyer besmirches a marine serving his country.

FWIW, someone asked back if you were dictator, what 5 things would you change? Being a lawyer automatically EXCLUDES you from being elected to Congress or Council at any level of government. I think that would have to be at the top of my list.

ok thats just stupid. you want to exclude LAWYERS from a job where the idea is to MAKE laws?

as for the person useing those tactics i really hope they lose and lose big.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Wow... way to read into something that isnt there. My reasoning is that, with lawyers WRITING the laws, it takes a lawyer to UNDERSTAND them. I shouldnt need a $500 an hour mouth piece to understand any law.

That and lawyers suck. Actually no... I just think we need more farmers, factory workers, and the like in the legislative branches. More common sense people instead of people who know how to "work the system."

I understand your frustration, but you've gone off the deep end here. Time to reign yourself back in...

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Robor

No one did, it was a preemptive strike. ;)

Hahahaha. That's funny.. I'm going to remember this.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I agree that he has abandoned his constituents.

That has nothing to do with attacking his service to the country.

He has to pick one, not both.

You can't hold a seat for the sake of holding it.

If this is a new Republican strategy it is 110% anti-American and wrong.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

That's pretty damn disgusting...

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
offffff course you do!

:confused:
F$^&# idiot...

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If that is the case and his constituents feel like they're not represented they can vote as such. For the opponent to use his service to the country against him for political gain is (IMO) wrong. We grill GWB for pulling strings to get into the national guard defending Alabama (or wherever it was). This guy voluntarily went on a 2nd tour. I'm not going to hold it against him.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

Right... going into a warzone is the new political election strategy of the GOP. You pegged him there. What a bastard.

/sarcasm