Iraq militia stone youths to death for "emo" style

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
...lots of stuff that have nothing to do with what I said eariler...

You claimed the current democracy is better than the dictatorship they had before. Your proof is that people died during the war. That is stupid.

To show your point, you need to use what the current government is doing and compare/contrast it to what the Saddam government did.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I think things are better today in Iraq than they have been in a long time. Particularly for the Kurds in the North.

Northern Iraq already had a defacto independent Kurdish state before the US invaded.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
The Iranian youth like Western culture and values. Iran was once on the path to a progressive democracy, but it was squashed by radical Islam. The youth have been on the precipice of an uprising for years. I doubt they would greet us as warmly initially as the Iraqis did, but eventually they'd be better off for it.

If they embrace democracy, it won't be with our direct help. I agree that many Iranians have an interest in Western culture and ideas, but they're also very nationalistic. Even the opposition movements agree that Iran needs nuclear weapons. The easiest way to turn them anti-American would be to invade Iran.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The easiest way to turn them anti-American would be to invade Iran.

Agreed. Arm the prodemocracy factions instead. Let them fight the war themselves, offering intel and such. If they directly ask for intervention, only then should we provide any direct firepower.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
If they embrace democracy, it won't be with our direct help. I agree that many Iranians have an interest in Western culture and ideas, but they're also very nationalistic. Even the opposition movements agree that Iran needs nuclear weapons. The easiest way to turn them anti-American would be to invade Iran.

Agree, with a twist.

A few years back there was a movement in Iran towards certain modern trends. We did our best to say NOTHING about it. As MANY said on this, one of the surest ways to kill this movement would have been ANY show of support from the Big Western Entities (the primary being the US).

The surest way to make something like this undesirable is having someone else tell you how you should do it. If they come to us for help we should give it, but until that happens, stay the pluck out of dodge.