Iran would 'use nuclear defense' if threatened

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse74
bah... I cant WAIT until you finally see what Iran is really up to! I just wish I could be there in person when you found out. That moment is going to be priceless! My guess is that you'll start stumbling all over the place, drooling on yourself, and mumbling incoherently for weeks... then you'll go through a flood-of-tears stage, and then you'll come back here pretending that you knew it all along.

bet.

ROFL. AHH GOD NOO! RUN! TERRORISTS UNDER THE BEDS PLOTTING TO KILL US ALL!
KILL THEM FIRST! IT'S OUR ONLY OPTION! FEAR! TERROR! MAYHEM! Control.

Since I am still waiting for Iraq's WMD stockpile to be found I won't hold my breath over the evidence of what Iran is 'really up to'.

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Tab

I was always under the impression they had weapons grade uranium, they just didn't have the rest of it.... or any actual bombs assembled...

No, quite the other way around. A few months ago, they went public (and was verified by inspectors before they left the country) that they finally had ~600 centerfuges operational. However, the centerfuge design in use is a very, very old and inefficient one, and it is widely reported that they are having trouble balancing them at the required very high speeds to get separation of the uranium.

And those 600 centerfuges sound like a lot - but they are not. To get weapons grade uranuim, they would need to run thousands or tens of thousands of such centerfuges in a cascade, continually, for quite some time. And they are just not there yet in their engineering or production. Each centerfuge is hand built and balanced, requiring meticulous work, not factory produced - they just can't stamp them out quickly.

Can they do it? Yes, eventually. But it will likely take a number of years to get it to work and get useable results. And that only gets them the uranium - not the rest of the bomb...which presents it's own set of challenges.

Future Shock

ScudRunner

Banned
May 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Originally posted by: Tab

I was always under the impression they had weapons grade uranium, they just didn't have the rest of it.... or any actual bombs assembled...

No, quite the other way around. A few months ago, they went public (and was verified by inspectors before they left the country) that they finally had ~600 centerfuges operational. However, the centerfuge design in use is a very, very old and inefficient one, and it is widely reported that they are having trouble balancing them at the required very high speeds to get separation of the uranium.

And those 600 centerfuges sound like a lot - but they are not. To get weapons grade uranuim, they would need to run thousands or tens of thousands of such centerfuges in a cascade, continually, for quite some time. And they are just not there yet in their engineering or production. Each centerfuge is hand built and balanced, requiring meticulous work, not factory produced - they just can't stamp them out quickly.

Can they do it? Yes, eventually. But it will likely take a number of years to get it to work and get useable results. And that only gets them the uranium - not the rest of the bomb...which presents it's own set of challenges.

Future Shock

A.Q Kahn the Pakastanni that made the centerfuge breakthoughs for Pakastan, has made many trips too Iran to help with their program. He want's every Muslim nation to have nuclear weapons.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
Originally posted by: ScudRunner
You would have to be an idiot to think Iran isn't developing nuclear weapons.

Looks like you found a friend in your hate for whoever fox tells you is bad for defending themselves NTDZ.

Those who wish us dead only have one right, and that is to visit god first.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: ScudRunner
who has Iran invaded?

The US embassy, we have every right to go to War against them for that reason alone!

Iran didn't invade the U.S embassy. Students did who are part of a group called MEK. They are not inside Iran but inside Iraq. They are a terrorist organization yet the U.S has not arrested anyone from this organization. Amazing.

U.S gave WMD to Iraq to kill hundreds of thousands of Iranians.

I wonder which state is more evil if we want to look at it in the way you look at things.

U.S embassy hostage crisis vs hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians killed.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Iran doesn't have nuclear weapons nor are they close to having nuclear weapons.

Iran has chemical weapons yet you never hear about that. Why? When we blammed Iraq for having them look what happened. Iran could also backlash and bring up memories of when the U.S helped Iraq kill hundreds of thousands of their citizens.

The Bush admin is focusing their attention on nuclear weapons now instead of chemical weapons.

What is the purpose of the IAEA? They were doing their job inside Iran. Iran was allowing them to do inspections. The U.S didn't like the results of the IAEA and rewrote the rules and said Iran cannot enrich their own uranium. This is allowed by the rules of internatiional law - IAEA. Not good enough for Bush.

The same thing happened with the UN and Iraq. UN inspections were taking place inside Iraq. They said they have found no evidence of WMD. The U.S didn't like the results so they invaded.

International organizations are a waste of resources and time. What is the point?

We were doing good with NK. Clinton made progress. Then Bush decided to cut off all contact with the regime and called them part of the axis of evil. Wonderful results. Bravo Bush.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Holy CRAP! Jerusalem POST? Wow, can I get the Christian Edition too? Damn, I didn't know you were into reading this crap. Of course this paper would SPIN this out of proportion.

First of all IRAN doesn't have Nuke's .... But I am sure the question was asked, "IF" you did have them... Well, wouldn't "ANY" country say "YES" to this stupid question? Damn, you deserve a big cookie for this post. Anything to stir the pot eh?

Come back when you get some "REAL" news.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ntdz
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
Originally posted by: daniel49

naw, he would say we provoked them to it.
Well, invading ones neighbors and then threatening to bomb them every night does tend to make one think of defending themselves, like I said, who has Iran invaded?

Please back up your statements with facts. Provide one quote of anyone in the white house threatening to bomb Iran please. No reply will be taken as you can't find one (since there is none to provide).

There was a report a month ago where it was said the Whitehouse asked the B Bombers to be on standby to strike Iran.