Iran War Countdown Thread

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are getting boring and are no longer yielding sufficient profits for Americans. A new war to defend America's freedom is needed - a war with Iran!

Will average Americans cheer for a war with Iran just like they did the Iraq War? If they are appropriately influenced by the US media, yes.

This continuously updated thread will document the countdown to the Iran War, with news reports and discussion.

First news report:

Iran claims it shot down unmanned US drone overflying the country - of stealthy RQ-170 type.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204770404577078160095550518.html

Read the comments there to see a healthy contingent of war cheerleaders.

If Iran really shot down a stealthy RQ-170, could this be a payday for China if Iran transfers pieces to them, like America's ally Pakistan did? What do Americans think about intruding into other nations' airspace? Is this a case of "do as I say, not as I do", because of "American Exceptionalism"? FYI, America regularly overflew the USSR with manned aircraft before Gary Powers was shot down, and then overflew China with drones until their air defenses became sufficient enough to make the overflights not worthwhile due to losses.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Is this a parody thread? It's hard to believe commentary so stupid could be serious...

May 11, 2008
Is this a parody thread? It's hard to believe commentary so stupid could be serious...

I would suspect that if things stay a bit more at ease in the ME and a US government is voted into office in 2012, that is pro war... I am afraid that war will happen. These are one of the things where i hope every moment that i think about it, that i am wrong about... But people like Perle, Wolfowitz and Hagee scare me. There are more, but these are the most famous... They have shown to prefer war while neglecting so many important factors.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Fruking lefties, can't present a decent argument, just cynical drivel. Only idiots like you think a nuclear Iran is something good for the world.

Dman8777

Mar 28, 2011
Obama isn't going to start a war with Iran. The UN won't sanction anything either because of Chinese/Russian objections. Therefore, you're looking at 2013 at the earliest and only if one of the less intelligent republican candidates wins.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I've seen signs of increased preparation by the U.S., Iran, U.K.,Israel etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some serious war taking place over there before too long. (i mean before 2013)

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
I would suspect that if things stay a bit more at ease in the ME and a US government is voted into office in 2012, that is pro war... I am afraid that war will happen. These are one of the things where i hope every moment that i think about it, that i am wrong about... But people like Perle, Wolfowitz and Hagee scare me. There are more, but these are the most famous... They have shown to prefer war while neglecting so many important factors.

I wasn't talking about the subject of an Iran-US conflict in general being stupid, although implying the US would wage war with Iran over a shot down drone is laughable.

I was talking about the high level of stupidity of Sacrilege's comments from "profits" to "American Exceptionalism."

Dman8777

Mar 28, 2011
I've seen signs of increased preparation by the U.S., Iran, U.K.,Israel etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some serious war taking place over there before too long. (i mean before 2013)

What kinds of signs? Are you stationed in the middle east? In the military?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Countdown? It's already started or haven't you heard of two installations blowing up this last week? Killings of nuclear scientists etc? It won't be a full blown war but on the down low hoping Iran responds so we can go whole hog.

Obama is smarter than Bush remember that.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
What kinds of signs? Are you stationed in the middle east? In the military?

Nope, just in terms of riots in Tehran, U.K. response to embassy looting, recent Israel actions, Iran's own posture. No insider knowledge, just opinion.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Countdown? It's already started or haven't you heard of two installations blowing up this last week? Killings of nuclear scientists etc? It won't be a full blown war but on the down low hoping Iran responds so we can go whole hog.

Obama is smarter than Bush remember that.

I wouldn't put money on it, but i'd like to see them face off in a "Are you smarter then a 5th grader?" I'd pay a chunk of money to see that on subscription if the proceeds went to charity.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
While the Iranians may well have shot down a drone over their territory, they're not starting a war over it, & neither are we.

The Israelis have been doing their usual chest thumping, as if that means anything, because the Obama Admin is unlikely to back them up. Not even the Cheney Admin was that stupid.

It's important, apparently, to keep people riled up, hatin' on teh ebil Eye-ray-nyuns, so that they can forget their own troubles, maybe not notice who's really puttin' the bone to 'em...

We have an ever changing array of external boogeymen available, and a population conditioned to respond in Pavlovian fashion. Just pick the bad guy du jour, load the message into the slime cannon, and Fire! for domestic political approval.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
At most there will be an air strike on their nuclear program. Even the Republicans aren't stupid enough to get us embroiled in another Iraq/Afghanistan. They'd be out of office within one election cycle.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Fruking lefties, can't present a decent argument, just cynical drivel. Only idiots like you think a nuclear Iran is something good for the world.

Lighten up, Francis; no one really thinks a nuclear Iran is a good thing.

Besides, President Bachman has vowed to close down the U.S. Embassy In Iran...so all is well.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
At most there will be an air strike on their nuclear program. Even the Republicans aren't stupid enough to get us embroiled in another Iraq/Afghanistan. They'd be out of office within one election cycle.

An air strike? Just one? The Iranian program is widely dispersed, and becoming more so. It'd take a helluva lot more than one air strike.

Of course that would mean war. Their nuclear program is the pride & joy of the whole country, with very, very widespread support. Any govt that didn't go to war over us destroying it wouldn't be the govt for long.

Iran is *not* an Arab culture. They'll fight. Bet on it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Iran War Countdown Thread

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are getting boring and are no longer yielding sufficient profits for Americans. A new war to defend America's freedom is needed - a war with Iran!

Will average Americans cheer for a war with Iran just like they did the Iraq War? If they are appropriately influenced by the US media, yes.

This continuously updated thread will document the countdown to the Iran War, with news reports and discussion.

First news report:

Iran claims it shot down unmanned US drone overflying the country - of stealthy RQ-170 type.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204770404577078160095550518.html

Read the comments there to see a healthy contingent of war cheerleaders.

If Iran really shot down a stealthy RQ-170, could this be a payday for China if Iran transfers pieces to them, like America's ally Pakistan did? What do Americans think about intruding into other nations' airspace? Is this a case of "do as I say, not as I do", because of "American Exceptionalism"? FYI, America regularly overflew the USSR with manned aircraft before Gary Powers was shot down, and then overflew China with drones until their air defenses became sufficient enough to make the overflights not worthwhile due to losses.

Countdown???

It began years ago. It's just escalating. All the forces pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan are being set up to be re-directed to Iran.

War is big important business the Government will never give up.

May 11, 2008
I wasn't talking about the subject of an Iran-US conflict in general being stupid, although implying the US would wage war with Iran over a shot down drone is laughable.

I was talking about the high level of stupidity of Sacrilege's comments from "profits" to "American Exceptionalism."

I agree that the US would need something significantly worse. Especially since what happened not so long ago with the Weapons of Mass Deception.
But making use of the stupidity of religious extremists always works. One way is to use espionage to find out when extremists are going to attack, pretend you know nothing and setup some propaganda. And it is kaboom.

The comments are indeed a bit strange but i worry about the Christian and Jewish extremists in the US. Why ? because i am not surprised if some poor soul that grew up in an Islamic country torn apart by war for generations ends up to be a paranoid sociopath who later in his life turns into an religious extremist fundamental terrorist with an explosive attitude. What worries me even more are the (a bit fundi) Jewish and (a bit fundi) Christian people in the US waiting for something to happen as they can start a full blown retaliation.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Only a nut would believe that we're going to have a war with Iran. Worst case is that there may be occasional targeted strikes like in Pakistan, but sending in troops? Ain't happening.

May 11, 2008
I should mention that what i described in post 17, is a simple propaganda trick often used in history by all sides currently known to have conflicts.
It is simple history.

You piss your enemy off, your enemy retaliates and you blame your enemy for the violence and starting the whole situation. And the whole world cries foul when looking at your enemy.
Oldest trick in the book.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The war of words with Iran is now at year 32, its about a draw. But when the USA has the bigger populations, they can call Iran a big Ninnie at a louder volume than an equally immature kindergarten classroom.

As for the US sending its drones into Iranian air space, its really no different than sending in U-2 spy planes, both are subject to being shot down by any countries airspace it trespasses into with impunity.

And in this latest incident, Iran claims it shot down a unarmed US drone, and the USA says the US just lost radio control and the drone happened to fall to earth on Iranian soil.

As the US tax payer takes it in the wallet, as the US military says, dig deeper folks, we need a few more replacement million dollar drones. Drones don't grow on trees but our military nuts do.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Screw that OP, you are thinking small, lets just get it over with!

NATO + India + ANZUS versus China and Russia

Only one rule, no nukes, makes wars much more interesting!

(Hopefully people will realize that the above is sarcasm)

May 11, 2008
Screw that OP, you are thinking small, lets just get it over with!

NATO + India + ANZUS versus China and Russia

Only one rule, no nukes, makes wars much more interesting!

(Hopefully people will realize that the above is sarcasm)

*reads half of the text...

*Presses the button

finger-on-the-button-getty-images.jpg

*Reads the rest of text...

*Blames somebody else for own failure...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
An air strike? Just one? The Iranian program is widely dispersed, and becoming more so. It'd take a helluva lot more than one air strike.

Of course that would mean war. Their nuclear program is the pride & joy of the whole country, with very, very widespread support. Any govt that didn't go to war over us destroying it wouldn't be the govt for long.

Iran is *not* an Arab culture. They'll fight. Bet on it.

Alright, several coordinated air strikes. Not much the Iranians could do about it unless they've got some countermeasure to the F-117, B-2, and F-22 that we don't know about. Their navy is shit compared to ours, and once we're out of Iraq/Afghanistan they'll have no avenue of attack.

They could rage, bitch, stop oil exports to the US, increase support for terrorists (giving us grounds for further air strikes) and harass, but Iran isn't even a regional power. The Iraqi army we carved USA into in a few weeks, twice, they couldn't take in 10 years with WMDs. They may want to fight with every ounce of their being, but the fact is they effectively can't outside of their borders.