Iran: Thou shalt not love dogs!

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ranian-commandment-thou-shalt-not-love-dogs/1

WTF is wrong with these people? If you don't like dogs, that's fine.... but to make some sort of religious edict that nobody is to love dogs? Sounds like someone who's been loving his camel each night and doesn't want people to be tempted to do the same with dogs.

How do societies get to the point where they let morons like this one make the rules for everyone?

Theocracy FTL.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I could make a goat or sheep reference....

Na.

:p

The things these people come up with. They'd be perfectly at home in DC coming up with completely irrelevant crap.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Anything that comes out of Iran is not really a surprise.

And apparently, a handful of clerics have been railing against dogs for years --- but a segment of the Iranian population ignores them.

Point your googler to ""Iran dogs"" --- one noted it was a way of keeping people distracted so they don't think about bigger problems in Iran.

--

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
It's no less ridiculous than the commonly held (albeit not officially decreed) notion in the US that it's wrong to eat horses or dolphins.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
.....petting fido is not equal to eating fido, what?
Pretending there is some kind of quantitative scale for ridiculous irrationality is... ridiculous. They are all irrational taboos based on sentimentality masquerading as morality. Frankly I don't give a shit is they are "the same" in any finer sense than the simple fact that they are all idiotic notions to cling to. I don't split hairs over morons.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's no less ridiculous than the commonly held (albeit not officially decreed) notion in the US that it's wrong to eat horses or dolphins.

No, the critical difference is that as a society we might think eating something (like horse) is disgusting, there is no decree from some pastor that makes it illegal to do so. Bad comparison, try harder next time.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
No, the critical difference is that as a society we might think eating something (like horse) is disgusting, there is no decree from some pastor that makes it illegal to do so. Bad comparison, try harder next time.
I wasn't equivocating the social mechanisms, only observing the irrational sentimentality. Bad criticism, try harder next time.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wasn't equivocating the social mechanisms, only observing the irrational sentimentality. Bad criticism, try harder next time.

The OP referenced theocracies and letting morons make the rules for everyone, there was nothing about whether liking dogs or not is ridiculous. Try reading and comprehension next time ;) No need to quibble about semantics though, I understand what you're saying.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
The OP referenced theocracies and letting morons make the rules for everyone, there was nothing about whether liking dogs or not is ridiculous. Try reading and comprehension next time ;) No need to quibble about semantics though, I understand what you're saying.
Fair enough, but if you want to discuss the question of whether Iran is peculiar in legislating silly sentimental notions about which animals are fit for human companionship and which ones aren't you need look no further than the sometimes arbitrary rules about which animals are allowed to be kept in urban areas, or the totally irrational difference in how cats and dogs are regulated. The USA is not all that different, except that we don't predicate our silliness on religion - most of the time.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The cleric is really just reiterating what has been in the Koran for ages (canines being unclean) in an attempt to stem the trend of younger Iranians adopting aspects of Western culture.

This is nothing new for narrow minded and xenophobic religious figures, regardless of location.

I actually have Islam to thank for my own dogs being so awesome (I own a pair of Anatolian Shepherds) as hundreds of years of the dogs having to see to themselves made them extremely hardy and excellent guardians. They chase off moose, yotes, and bear with no problems, and the female has even bagged a few skunks without getting sprayed. No idea how she pulls that off, but I'll take it!

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Fair enough, but if you want to discuss the question of whether Iran is peculiar in legislating silly sentimental notions about which animals are fit for human companionship and which ones aren't you need look no further than the sometimes arbitrary rules about which animals are allowed to be kept in urban areas, or the totally irrational difference in how cats and dogs are regulated. The USA is not all that different, except that we don't predicate our silliness on religion - most of the time.

Hey, one google for crazy laws in the US returns lots and lots of absurd stuff, no arguing that.

I'm just amazed that citizens in these countries allow every aspect of their lives, down to what animal they might like to be determined by some cook cleric. Not just a suggestion or moral judgment ("you'll burn in hell if you love dogs!"), but to have whatever the idiot cleric deems to be the law be a mandate to everyone. Amazing.

Personally, I value dogs much more highly than I do many of those Iranian nutjobs, but that's just me.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
http://www.answering-islam.org/Silas/dogs.htm

I would imagine a black dog humped his leg at one time and he got a stiffy. Obviously it couldn't have been him who was screwed up, nothing wrong with being a rapist and a pedophile but even he drew the line at dogs, so it must have been the devil that made him do it.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Dogs unclean? They clean themselves all the time...especially "down there"

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Teddy_Welsh_Corgi_01.jpg

this is the face of Western evil