Iran Releases Footage Of Captured Sailors Playing Table Tennis...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
There is not one person in this whole thread who knows how the Brits were treated

Not one who knows what threats they received..

Not one who knows what they were told about trial etc..

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan
There is not one person in this whole thread who knows how the Brits were treated

Luckily, Iran was nice enough to provide us with video evidence, while one of the soldiers filled in the rest of the details when he arrived home.

Footage of how they were treated.

In an unpaid interview with the Manchester Evening News , he said: "Some people probably did co-operate a bit too easily and were sucked in by the promise of better facilities."

He described the interrogations as "quite friendly" and their 13 days in captivity as "probably a more unpleasant and stressful experience rather than terrifying".

ElDonAntonio

Aug 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Luckily, Iran was nice enough to provide us with video evidence, while one of the soldiers filled in the rest of the details when he arrived home.

In an unpaid interview with the Manchester Evening News , he said: "Some people probably did co-operate a bit too easily and were sucked in by the promise of better facilities."

He described the interrogations as "quite friendly" and their 13 days in captivity as "probably a more unpleasant and stressful experience rather than terrifying".

But...but...aren't all iranians evil lunatics?? I don't get it! :roll:

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton

but what about this?

Link

Some of the group were lined up while weapons were cocked, making them fear they would be executed.

Some of the group was lined up against a wall. Lt Carman recalled: "We were bound, hands behind our backs, blindfolds on, and then shoved up against a wall. I could see people's feet under my blindfold.

"One of the lads heard weapons being cocked. He freaked out and dropped to the floor. He was screaming: 'Lads they are going to execute us.' Somehow I undid my hands from behind my back, pulled my blindfold off. There were guys with weapons there but it didn't look like a firing squad. They were just playing with their weapons."

He added: "That was the worst moment. There was a lot of trickery and mind games being played."

"After that comment someone was sick and as far as I was concerned he had just had his throat cut. From there we were rushed to a room, quick photo and then stuffed into a cell and didn't see or speak to anyone for six days."

do you think the Iranians will "be nice enough" to air footage showing this part of their captivity?

Aug 1, 2006

Umm, interrogation techniques aren't dreamed up on the fly.

Ugh. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ElDonAntonio
Originally posted by: ayabe
A- Hostage:

a person given or held as security for the fulfillment of certain conditions or terms, promises, etc., by another. Dictionary

In this context the terms were making them admit they were in Iranian waters. They were to be held until a sufficient amount of humiliation was inflicted upon the British and/or to secure the release of the 'diplomats' being held by the US.

"They were told they had been abandoned by their government and could admit they had trespassed and go home, or stay in prison for seven years."

Link

This is ridiculous, according to your definition of a hostage, anyone arrested anywhere is taken hostage. If your terms of liberation are "admitting guilt", then I guess all those suspected criminals pleading guilty and getting a reduced sentence are victims of a hostage situation! Now if Iran had said "Back off on nuclear talks or else you won't see those sailors again", then fine, hostage situation. This wasn't anywhere close.

A- They were taking prisoner by the QUDS who operate independently of the central government for all intents and purposes. These are the extremists in Iran. Check your facts.

If their extreme lunatics simply give pajamas to their prisoners, lets them wait a couple days until giving them a free vacation and sending them home, then we have much worse lunatics to deal with on american soil. What did those extreme lunatics do to the sailors?

A- They weren't in Iranian waters, their detention was illegal and pictures of them playing ping pong aren't legitimate representations of how they were treated. So I guess the Canadians lined the fisherman against the wall, blindfolded while cocking weapons giving the impression of an impending execution?

Where they were exactly is disputed. As for "illegal detention", this has become common practice around the world. So if your frame of reference for judging what happened is the US, there's nothing to complain about. As to "fearing execution", the sailors' imagination seemed to play a much larger role than what really happened. That woman heard some bangs and started hallucinating they were building a coffin for her. The simple idea of that is ridiculous.

A- QED, you lose.

I lose what? is this a cock-measuring contest for you or are you in it for a discussion?

P.S.: just curious but what's the Palestinian A-Team?

You took exception to me using the word hostage, I posted the correct definition of hostage which fits perfectly and you still aren't satisfied. That's on you buddy. When people are illegally detained to use as political leverage that's hostage taking.

You will never agree with me and that's fine, you don't have a problem with Iran violating international law and creating a public spectacle to punish the British for support the US. You need to do more research on who took these people hostage, the QUDS and what they are all about, the rest of what you spout about pajamas and so forth is nonsense.

Where they were when they were captured isn't up for debate or disputed, the facts are the facts. I love your nonchalant attitude about psychological torture, ohh they were just imagining things....whatever dude. You statement that the Spanish fishermen being treated worse is complete malarkey....talk about ridiculous. :disgust:

Ask dna what the Palestinian A-Team is, he would love to tell you about how much I hate Israel and love the Palestinians because that's how I roll....according to him.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
oh no they took his Ipod and called him Mr. Bean ... o the humanity :roll: