Iran ready to rumble. (7/13)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Trente

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: ayabe
I've never heard of Russian pilots flying in any of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

...during the Cold War the Soviet Union held close relationships with the Arab nations. On July 30, 1970 the tension peaked: An IAF ambush resulted in a large scale air brawl between IAF planes and MiGs flown by Soviet pilots ? five MiGs were shot down, while the IAF suffered no losses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Attrition

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Trente
I've never heard of Russian pilots flying in any of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

...during the Cold War the Soviet Union held close relationships with the Arab nations. On July 30, 1970 the tension peaked: An IAF ambush resulted in a large scale air brawl between IAF planes and MiGs flown by Soviet pilots ? five MiGs were shot down, while the IAF suffered no losses.

Thanks buddy. :beer:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: K1052
I just think some of the Israeli cheerleaders on this forum who stand in awe of the the IAF etc are too used to seeing Israel run over these "countries" with no air force and their army consists of teenagers running around in pajamas. While they can inflcit some damage and are not to be underestimated....it's a whole nother ballgame going against a Russian division or any other first world military force.

The IAF is generally regarded as one of the best in the world with very skilled pilots. They have soundly defeated every Arab country's air force that has gone up against them to date.

Superior American military hardware in the hands of some very skilled Israeli pilots is something the Arab countries have reason to be wary about. I have little doubt that the IAF could hold their own against their neighbors who use Russian equipment and training.

Again, I wouldn't consider any arab air force or army to be of "first world" quality. not even close.

Some of those planes were flown by Russian pilots (ala Korea and Vietnam).

Russia also hasn't fought a real air war in god knows how long.

I have never heard anything to that effect, Vietnam and Korea yes, but I've never heard of Russian pilots flying in any of the Arab-Israeli conflicts. I will try to find some info on that.

I'm not denying that Israel has a first rate military, I absolutely agree with that. But even in it's degraded state, Russia is a force to be reckoned with and are actively upgrading their air force. They are still a generation ahead of the US in terms of their air to air missle technology and their new Mig 29's and SU series are on par with anything in the west.

It did happen.

The MIG-29 is indeed a fine aircraft, the new SU has been shelved and won't likely see production beyond the prototypes that exist for some time at least. The stealth ability of our F-22 certainly grants it a major edge against other combatants. The R-77 missile varients do have some superior performance characteristics to the AIM-120 however I'm not sure how deeply Russia has deployed these into their own forces (they have mainly exports on the mind). The US military is also in the midst of developing an upgraded AIM-120 that will close or reverse the gap.

Traning and airtime is also extremely important and I'd bet almost anything that Israeli pilots get a lot more airtime than their cash strapped Russian counterparts.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Ha, and the rockets that Hezbollah is using against Israel is/was manufactured in Iran. Interesting times ahead...

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
All Israel needs is its own 9/11-type event. After that, it can do anything it wants militarily including striking Syria and Iran. You'd think they would have learned that lesson from us by now . . .

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
"Ha, and the rockets that Hezbollah is using against Israel is/was manufactured in Iran. Interesting times ahead"

and of course the warplanes, tanks, machine guns & intel that the Israelis are using were all manufactured or paid for by the USA.

Let's not let personal bias distort the facts.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: tommywishbone
"Ha, and the rockets that Hezbollah is using against Israel is/was manufactured in Iran. Interesting times ahead"

and of course the warplanes, tanks, machine guns & intel that the Israelis are using were all manufactured or paid for by the USA.

I'm sorry I missed the personal bias here.... so the Rockets were not manufactured by Iran?

Could you explain whatever bias you're talking about?

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001

I'm not you retard. I'm just mentioning the fact that the rockets were made in Iran (check cnn.com), which is pretty huge considering Israel might now think of taking some kind of action against Iran. Idiot.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

The difference is we provided those weapon systems to Israel for defense, while Iran provided the missiles for Hezbollah to attack the Israelis.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Israel would pwn Iran. They would set Iran back 100 years, which would put them at around the 13th century.

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
Originally posted by: fallenangel99

I'm not you retard. I'm just mentioning the fact that the rockets were made in Iran (check cnn.com), which is pretty huge considering Israel might now think of taking some kind of action against Iran. Idiot.

Name calling? Ok... let me try. Poo-Poo head!

And by your reasoning, I guess Lebanon "might now think" of attacking the US, beacause we sold/gave the weapons to Israel.

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Pens1566

The difference is we provided those weapon systems to Israel for defense, while Iran provided the missiles for Hezbollah to attack the Israelis.

:laugh: Defensive F-16? Defensive F-15's? Defensive warships? :D

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

:laugh: Defensive F-16? Defensive F-15's? Defensive warships? :D

They are the ones that have been attacked repeatedly by their neighbors. I don't recall Israel launching a pre-emptive invasion of Syria, and Egypt.

Yom Kippur War

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Trente

And Santa Claus visits us every Christmas :) If you get your historical knowledge from Wikipedia, you deserve the consequences. I've found so many factual mistakes in several areas in my specialty (Physics) or about events and places of which I have rather personal knowledge, that it's not even funny.

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
"... could you explain whatever bias you're talking about..."

The post inferred that Iran was the only one providing weapons to either of the combatants. That ain't the truth. Whether on purpose or just in error, the fact that the US is giving/selling massive amounts of military hardware to Israel needs to be noted.

IMO.

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

They are the ones that have been attacked repeatedly by their neighbors. I don't recall Israel launching a pre-emptive invasion of Syria, and Egypt.

Yom Kippur War

Really? Hm, 1967..., 1967, ... 1967... repeat as long as necessary.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: fornax

Yom Kippur War

1967 was a preemptive strike by Israel... but don't fool yourself into thinking that war was initiated by Israel...

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Which was in respons to Egypt removing peacekeeping troops, and massing troops on the Israeli border. They were defending themselves.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

Yom Kippur War

Keep getting your history from the point you wish to start taking it and you will get what you deserve. I have met so many people that only decide to start from say point E, and ignore all the issues that lead up to point E it is not even funny.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Doboji

Yom Kippur War

1967 was a preemptive strike by Israel... but don't fool yourself into thinking that war was initiated by Israel...
Of course, anyone who thinks Israel attacked unprovoked doesn't know their history.
Syria was blockading Israeli shipping in the Gulf of Aqaba, itself an act of war.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

I dont think these particular rockets were Iranian made. Iran has missiles that can go deep inside Iraq (100-300miles). They have hundreds if not thousands of them in their inventory. I say they aren't Iranian made because if Iran was going to supply Hezbollah with misssiles/rockets they might has well have given them the best that could hit any area inside Israel. I'm assuming Syria probably supplied Hezbollah with these rockets (I dont think Syria has an advanced missile/rocket program).

Iran has given Hezbollah weapons such as guns, anti-tank and RPGs. Useful for an invansion against Israeli troops. Hezbollah probably has anti-ship weapons as well.. I'd be surprised if they don't. Interesting to see if Israel's navy gets hit.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
Originally posted by: narcotic
Originally posted by: Zorba
What is up with the whole Russia vs. Israel debate? It is stupid, why would Russia get into that mess? On a 1 to 1 fight Russia probably would win, but Israel have a massive kill ratio, they are probably the best pilots in the world, the have battle experience and the actually have regular training. But what do you think the world's response would be if Russia openly attacked Israel? I just don't see one situation that would actually provoke Russia into attacking Israel.

I must agree. And there are a couple more points to consider. As suggested Israel has massive kill ratio, and even though Russia is very big, it takes really only two cities to attack and have the Russians collapse, Moscow and Leningrad.
So even though I don't think Israel can actually win a war Vs. Russia, it can still inflict a deadly blow, and take them down with them. Thus making a Russian attack very unlikely.

As for the original topic.. I don't think Iran has anything over Israel now. Talk is cheap, and if the Israelis were to be engaged by the Iranians, I believe it'll be back to the Stone Age very quickly for Iran.

Hehehe, I can sit and laugh about local armchair generals all day:) Some contributions are good enough for a Comedy Central. 15-16 yo. discussing Russian vs Israeli military capability, LOL

P.S. Whoever keeps bringing up F-22 capabilities, don't count much on it, we build parts for it and the project has so many problems and funding has been cut in favor of retrofitting F-18s, there are only 40 operation F-22s in entire world at best, hardly a formidable threat for a major conflict.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: narcotic
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
What is Iran exactly going to do?

Iran is very smart, they can't get their own nukes so they're going to make the Israelies ship them a couple of samples...

Dude thats funny....made my day!!
I needed a luagh!!

I vote funniest post of the year!!!

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Didn't Israel threaten to go nuclear in the gulf war? If Israel gets invaded by all the surrounding countries then I think they would nuke the ****** out of them.