Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Pakistan–India_gas_pipeline

Last week Zardari visited Iran and vowed to expedite the pipeline with Iran's help.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/246023/...ng-to-build-pakistan-section-of-gas-pipeline/

Now one local newspaper says the Americans are threatening Pakistani companies with sanctions if they go ahead with the project.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/251902/...don-iran-gas-pipeline-project/#comment-339489

So realistically, what is Pakistan supposed to do? We have a severe energy crisis. The Americans refuse to sign an atomic energy agreement with us and refuse to let us build a gas pipeline with Iran. WTF?

(2)
I also see a major change in Pakistan's foreign policy. Iran just offered us $100 million for helping our flood victims. That eclipses even China's $5 million in help. What do Americans think of Iran's growing influence in the region. Is America's AF-PAK policy failing?

I also don't think Pakistan is going to back out of this project no matter what. If they were going to back out, it would have been before the president visited Iran. This is a strategic multi-billion dollar project and the USA doesn't have anything to offer that could better this deal. While the USA has signed an energy deal with India, they have snubbed us. They managed to convince India to stay out of this deal but their double standards regarding the nuclear agreement has convinced Pakistan that the USA will not serve their interests in the long term.

Besides, I'm pretty convinced that the USA is an unreliable ally and may slap sanctions upon us at any time. No reason to trust them. It is a much better option to strengthen our relations with the growing powers in our region: China, India and Iran rather than rely on an unpredictable and dying superpower.

Last edited:

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
Besides, I'm pretty convinced that the USA is an unreliable ally and may slap sanctions upon us at any time. No reason to trust them. It is a much better option to strengthen our relations with the growing powers in our region: China, India and Iran rather than rely on an unpredictable and dying superpower.

Did you forget Pakistan housed Osama bin Laden for at least 6 years NEXT TO A MILITARY BASE.

....oh but thats ok because he is not a bad guy in the eyes of outstanding pakistani civilians such as yourself

and when the US went in to kill him, pakistan 1. got angry at us and 2. probably showed china parts of the stealth helicopter that was suppose to be swept away and given back to us.

AND pakistan arrested a cia agent and posted his face and name all over the news. Allies dont do that to allies.

for the 3 billion a year the US gives pakistan, they should shut the hell up and deal with it, or get no help at all and fall to radicals, just for us to come back years down the road, kill a lot of people and reclaim democracy there

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Did you forget Pakistan housed Osama bin Laden for at least 6 years NEXT TO A MILITARY BASE.

....oh but thats ok because he is not a bad guy in the eyes of outstanding pakistani civilians such as yourself

and when the US went in to kill him, pakistan 1. got angry at us and 2. probably showed china parts of the stealth helicopter that was suppose to be swept away and given back to us.

AND pakistan arrested a cia agent and posted his face and name all over the news. Allies dont do that to allies.

for the 3 billion a year the US gives pakistan, they should shut the hell up and deal with it, or get no help at all and fall to radicals, just for us to come back years down the road, kill a lot of people and reclaim democracy there

There is no proof that he was being "housed." At least that's what your CIA believes. The USA invaded our territory: allies don't do that to allies.

3 billion a year is nothing compared to the 68 billion in losses we have suffered because of America's so called war on terror. There are no "radicals" in the mainstream politics of Pakistan. If your media tells you that it's because it's dumb.

I think we should start cooperating more with Iran. They'll serve our national interests much better than the US.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Pakistan = worst beggar in the world.

First it begged from the US

Next it is begging from China

Now Iran has been added to that list.

I guess you cannot do much when their only and best known export industry is spreading terror.

You see GTB, you can fool some people of the world all the time. That's what exactly is happening in PAK. They are being fooled by the terrorists, the military and more importantly the Mullahs of that country.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think we should start cooperating more with Iran. They'll serve our national interests much better than the US.

Indeed, terrorist nations do have more in common with each other than with civilized countries.

All aid should be cut and sanctions imposed.

AMFMQAM

Banned
Sep 5, 2011
Pity me, for I am a 9/11 truther who is off his meds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
In before LL mentions Israel being the fault of this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate to dissapoint you, but the proposed Iran to India pipeline has little to do with Israel.

But actually such a pipeline could bail the USA out of some messes if the USA does the sensable thing and ally. (1) The contruction money from such a project would do much to stabalize Afghanistan, because the whole pipeline is a deal killed if it first leg throgh Afghanistan is not prosperous and stable. (2) After that, it will help the energy needs of Pakistan, but not to the extent it will benefit India. Giving both India and Pakistan powerful incentives to patch up their differences or both will lose the economic benefits of a pipelane. (3) Even Israel benefits, as the focus and future of Iran points directly east and away from Israel and the northwest. And also maybe Saudie Arabia, especially if Iran agrees's to trans ship some Saudi natural gas also.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Iran just offered us $100 million for helping our flood victims. That eclipses even China's $5 million in help.

Pakistan is nothing more than a huge pile of suck that eats money. Its people are perpetual victims that appear to not be able to survive without foreign aid.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
There is no proof that he was being "housed." At least that's what your CIA believes. The USA invaded our territory: allies don't do that to allies.

I agree. There is NO proof he was housed.

But when the most wanted man in the world has been in your country for at least 6 years with or without your knowledge, you'd better be forgiving of a targeted military strike on his compund.

you say the USA invaded pakistani territory, sure, if you look at a map, yes.

but the US struck the compound, took his body, and left. A surgical strike on what pakistan is saying "they didnt know about"

if the helicopter over there didnt fail, the pakistanis never would have known the US was there at all, until we called them and told them OBL was there and was killed.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Pakistan should do what is good for Pakistan, while the US will follow its interest. If Pakistan feels it is better off with Iran, then they should be OK burning the bridge with the US. The US/beloved patriot relationship was really a matter of convenience due to USSR influence in India. Pakistan shares almost no values with the US. Now with the USSR gone, India is probably a better ally for the US in the region.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Pakistan should do what is good for Pakistan, while the US will follow its interest. If Pakistan feels it is better off with Iran, then they should be OK burning the bridge with the US. The US/beloved patriot relationship was really a matter of convenience due to USSR influence in India. Pakistan shares almost no values with the US. Now with the USSR gone, India is probably a better ally for the US in the region.

Yes I agree with this, and would add that the OP's arguments are best addressed to fellow Pakistanis, not a bunch of Americans on a discussion board. He keeps saying it is in Pakistan's interests to ally with Iran and/or China, so why is he telling US that? Isn't Pakistan's foreign policy up to Pakistanis?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Yes I agree with this, and would add that the OP's arguments are best addressed to fellow Pakistanis, not a bunch of Americans on a discussion board. He keeps saying it is in Pakistan's interests to ally with Iran and/or China, so why is he telling US that? Isn't Pakistan's foreign policy up to Pakistanis?

The problem is America is interfering. They are threatening to impose sanctions on our companies if we decide to do the deal with Iran. If we really go ahead with this plan, it will just prove that America's strategic sphere of influence in the region is limited to Afghanistan.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, I'm not seeing why we give such a fuck about Pakistan trading oil with Iran. Oh noes Pakistan is talking with our "enemy", like that hasn't happened before anyways? Best thing we could do is just leave Pakistan, stop giving them money and let them figure things out on their own. At least then they can't bitch and moan about the USA causing all their problems and we'll get to save some money.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
in future news, US predator drones accidentally bombed a pipeline between Iran and Pakistan.

President Obama was reported to have said, "our bad."

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Only possible trouble I see if it's something like an oil for nuke tech deal.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Only possible trouble I see if it's something like an oil for nuke tech deal.

Now that's a theory that probably holds some weight. Things have come out over the years tying Pakistan to Iran's nuke program

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

Numerous nations and multinational entities impose Sanctions against Iran. Sanctions commonly bar nuclear; missile and certain military exports to Iran; investments in oil, gas and petrochemicals; exports of refined petroleum products; business dealings with the Iranian Republican Guard Corps; banking and insurance transactions, including with the Central Bank of Iran; and shipping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran

Could be that Pakistan is going against UN and many countries sanctions against Iran by pursuing this deal. If so, my guess is Pakistan will get their own sanctions from more than just the USA.

Fern

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The problem is America is interfering. They are threatening to impose sanctions on our companies if we decide to do the deal with Iran. If we really go ahead with this plan, it will just prove that America's strategic sphere of influence in the region is limited to Afghanistan.

It's still the choice of Pakistan, consequences and all, and hence this should be addressed to your government and countrymen. If what you're really trying do is convince us that the US shouldn't impose sanctions then you aren't doing that great of a job. America sucks, it has done nothing but bad things to Pakistan, it is bad for the region, its influence is waning is essentially your message. If that is the opinion of the average Pakistani toward the US, then from our perspective it only strengthens the argument for imposing the sanction. Are you going to like us more if we don't impose the sanctions? Doesn't sound like it to me.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
It's still the choice of Pakistan, consequences and all, and hence this should be addressed to your government and countrymen. If what you're really trying do is convince us that the US shouldn't impose sanctions then you aren't doing that great of a job. America sucks, it has done nothing but bad things to Pakistan, it is bad for the region, its influence is waning is essentially your message. If that is the opinion of the average Pakistani toward the US, then from our perspective it only strengthens the argument for imposing the sanction. Are you going to like us more if we don't impose the sanctions? Doesn't sound like it to me.

In The Green Bean's world, Pakistan's friends = whoever gives them the most money.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
in future news, US predator drones accidentally bombed a pipeline between Iran and Pakistan.

President Obama was reported to have said, "our bad."

-_____________________________________________________________________________
In future later news, all US preditor drone air craft get shot down once they trespass an inch out of US air-space.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
In future later news, all US preditor drone air craft get shot down once they trespass an inch out of US air-space.

In past history, the Predator drone has always been capable of carrying HARM missiles.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006

If they can be seen, heard, or even shot down